Next Project - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Next Project

So, I have been looking for the style I want for my bike. I bought the Classic LT as my first ride. I am pretty traditional guy and loved the looks of the leather bags and traditional windshield. Over the last year, I have grown to really like the look with the hard bags and fairing. So, I am looking at turning my Classic LT into a bagger. The first picture is my bike and the next is actually a picture of Cyclesarge's old bike, but it is pretty much what I want to a tee. It is looking like about $1500 for all of the modifications I want to do: fairing, hard bags, mustang seat, light rack. I also want to get a new barons pulley and throttle lock for easier hwy riding. I will start purchasing the parts this summer and hope to make it a winter project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	900 Classic LT.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	35289   Click image for larger version

Name:	900 Bagger.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	35297  

Last edited by USAF Retired; 06-23-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Looks like an awesome idea

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Hehe. I happen to have those exact saddlebags. No really! Those EXACT ones, I bought them from Cyclesarge!

I, too, think the 900 makes a good looking bagger!

Here's mine, a fairing is up-and-coming I think but I'm so indecisive on what I want (stereo or no stereo, memphis or other, or none at all?) that I haven't pulled the trigger. It needs paint too but that'll wait until I figure out what I'm doing with the fairing. I don't think it looks bad with black accessories, though.

If you do decide to add a trunk to your bike in addition to the hard bags, go for the Harley trunk. There's just no other way to do it! You can get replicas for cheap, bolt them right to a Wompus rack. Boom. It looks great, it's way bigger than the other trunks, and fits the lines of the VN900 waaayyyy better than the other brands of touring trunks. Plus, there's TONS of accessories (luggage racks, coolers made to fit inside, lid organizers, tethers, lights, backrests, speakers, you name it) available for the Harley tour-pak.

I can fit both the wife and I's full face helmets in there along with my jacket and a bottle of water! Maybe even a few other things (she's gotten her purse in there along with all of that other stuff).

I love having all that storage. In the winter, I can have all of my gear, overpants, jacket, liner, gloves, full face helmet, scarf, and even my boots (if I want to change into tennis shoes) all stored on the bike, all locked up and secure, out of sight. Love it! (Not to mention, the amount of luggage I can carry on a trip!)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 06-23-2013 at 12:28 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
"go for the Harley trunk. There's just no other way to do it! You can get replicas for cheap, bolt them right to a Wompus rack. Boom. It looks great, it's way bigger than the other trunks,"

Romans, so are you saying buy a genuine HD trunk or a replica? If that's the actual HD trunk, can I ask what you paid for it? If it's a replica, where did you get it?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
"go for the Harley trunk. There's just no other way to do it! You can get replicas for cheap, bolt them right to a Wompus rack. Boom. It looks great, it's way bigger than the other trunks,"

Romans, so are you saying buy a genuine HD trunk or a replica? If that's the actual HD trunk, can I ask what you paid for it? If it's a replica, where did you get it?
Well you get out what you put in! I ride with a lot of guys with Ultra Classics; which is what the tour pak comes from. From H-D it's called the "King TourPak" and at last glance it was around $700. Maybe more, maybe less.

The one I have is one that's occasionally on eBay. It's $300. Mutazu also sells one (they even sell one complete with taillights built in!) for around $400 with shipping I believe. I bough it used from another forum member.

It's not the cheapest trunk, but it's really, really, the best.

As far as the difference between the replicas and the real deal? All accessories work with both. I can walk into a Harley dealer and buy any tour pak accessory and bolt it on or stick it in. But it it's thinner, less sturdy (it flexes a bit), also, the Harley is carpeted on the inside with a nice rubberized lid coating. Mine was just plain yellow plastic on the inside (I did coat it though myself).

That said, even though it's cheaper built- I won't -and don't-, hesitate to load it down, including things loaded on top.

I just think the H-D pak looks wayyyy better than the others, plus it's huge, plus the accessories are nice!

EDIT:

Mutazu;
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...402&s=prod.php

$446 shipped

The one I have;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-HARLEY-T...9e66f9&vxp=mtr

$464 shipped. (Price has gone up, so Mutazu is the best deal as it has the tail lights.

Another one;
http://www.a1hardbags.com/motorcycle.../prod_295.html

Has no backrest installed; $285. Has a 'minor paint issue', whatever that means.

Also; scour eBay and H-D forums for used tour paks. Just get rid of the mounting hardware, buy a wompus rack, and drill holes to match the factory H-D mounts. Couldn't be easier.

Spendy, I know- but well worth it. I just can't say enough about how great of an addition this is. It just looks sooo much better than the others, and I've never found a trunk as big as this! Looks great with those Mutazu bags.

OH, and one note- those Mutazu bags are NOT waterproof. Water drips in when it rains and everything gets soaked. Consider maybe the RS bags or one of the other Mutazu options that ARE waterproof (they say they are waterproof in the description; but the HL's are NOT)

Although I am trying to figure out a way to waterproof these as I like the look alot.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
OH, and one note- those Mutazu bags are NOT waterproof. Water drips in when it rains and everything gets soaked. Consider maybe the RS bags or one of the other Mutazu options that ARE waterproof (they say they are waterproof in the description; but the HL's are NOT)
Romans, try " 1/4" wide window seal foam strips" with the a self adhesive backing .... I don't have a water issue with my MU's, but i did put black electrical tape around the "inside" lip to stop any plastic on plastic rubbing.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post

Although I am trying to figure out a way to waterproof these as I like the look alot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
Romans, try " 1/4" wide window seal foam strips" with the a self adhesive backing .... I don't have a water issue with my MU's, but i did put black electrical tape around the "inside" lip to stop any plastic on plastic rubbing.
I am working on a way to seal the HLs (as I also like the look of these bags). I am going to first adjust the lock to tighten the latch (moving the catch down about 1/4 inch). Then I like Whiting's suggestion with the weather stripping. I think this will seal them and reduce any rattling.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
I am working on a way to seal the HLs (as I also like the look of these bags). I am going to first adjust the lock to tighten the latch (moving the catch down about 1/4 inch). Then I like Whiting's suggestion with the weather stripping. I think this will seal them and reduce any rattling.
Let me know how that turns out. Although one of the issues I think is that water seeps down through the lock itself too. I had to drill a small hole in each "catch" for the locks becaus they were pooling with water. Of course that means the water drains into the bags but they are wet anyway, at least the locks aren't sitting in a puddle rusting.

Sealing where the locks mounts is easy. But I fear some of it is coming through the mechanism itself.

I'm interested to see what you come up with. Admittedly I've not looked super hard at it.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Let me know how that turns out. Although one of the issues I think is that water seeps down through the lock itself too. I had to drill a small hole in each "catch" for the locks becaus they were pooling with water. Of course that means the water drains into the bags but they are wet anyway, at least the locks aren't sitting in a puddle rusting.

Sealing where the locks mounts is easy. But I fear some of it is coming through the mechanism itself.

I'm interested to see what you come up with. Admittedly I've not looked super hard at it.
Had not looked at the lock (will now). Maybe a weep hole at the bottom of the catch to the outside of the bag.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Is there an easy way to set the trunk up where it is pretty easy to remove? Having a touring trunk would be nice, but I don't think I would want it on there all of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode