Seat to move your whole self back? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Seat to move your whole self back?

Hey everyone...

Quick question. I've put around 1,200 miles on my bike in 3 weeks this year so far, and have finally identified the cause of my pain. I'm 6' 3" and, I am constantly pushing myself back on the seat, to not bend my knees to bad.

However, with me always pushing myself back, I have an intense pain in my tailbone, that sometimes doesn't go away for days...And being only 19 years old, that can't be good. The pain usually starts after about 50 miles, and goes away for 10 miles or so after a 15 minute break, but comes back immediately at that 10 miles...

So, I'm looking for a seat that will move me back a few inches, as well as footpegs that are more forward...Any ideas?

And an updated picture of my bike!

As you can see,
Debaffled pipes, Sirius Satellite radio, Speakers, GPS, Windshield, Exhaust Guard, and trailer hitch....

Picture of my dad's, and my bike. He just got the bike, and hasn't rode it yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

dont know if front floor boards are avail for your bike, i have a classic lt with boards and can move my feet in a whole range of motion, including streching my legs straight out, a different seat may not do it, i have a mustang and it feels shorter in length over the oem seat, but much more support and comfort, may be try highway pegs.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Top Contributor

I don't know of a seat that will move you backwards any discernable amount. The Mustang seat actually moves you forward and up^. The Saddlemen seat leaves you in the same spot, but lowers you some.

I would start looking into changing your controls. The suggestion about floorboards may work for you. I have read where folks are putting Classic floorboards on Customs. Also, you may want to look at highway bars with pegs or maybe just some pegs mounted to the frame. Anything to get your feet out and forward some on the long streches of highway. I have Cobra bars with Kuryakyn small ISO pegs. See picture. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1033.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1290   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1034.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1291  

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 AM

This is th exact same problem I have. I have been told that's it's the seat. I have started to look into replacement seats. I'm down to Mustang and Corbin.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Top Contributor

Kury makes some switchblade pegs that swing out to move your legs 3" forward, and 3" farther out to the sides as well. Or you could get some engine guards with highway pegs. I'd be leary of a seat that moved you farther back, as it would cut down on the padding?

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
I don't know of a seat that will move you backwards any discernable amount. The Mustang seat actually moves you forward and up^. The Saddlemen seat leaves you in the same spot, but lowers you some.

I would start looking into changing your controls. The suggestion about floorboards may work for you. I have read where folks are putting Classic floorboards on Customs. Also, you may want to look at highway bars with pegs or maybe just some pegs mounted to the frame. Anything to get your feet out and forward some on the long streches of highway. I have Cobra bars with Kuryakyn small ISO pegs. See picture. Good luck.
I think I may try some highway pegs and a new seat. Is the saddleman seat a good choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendog View Post
This is th exact same problem I have. I have been told that's it's the seat. I have started to look into replacement seats. I'm down to Mustang and Corbin.
I like the corbin seat a lot. I like how I can get orange stitching to match the bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketso View Post
Kury makes some switchblade pegs that swing out to move your legs 3" forward, and 3" farther out to the sides as well. Or you could get some engine guards with highway pegs. I'd be leary of a seat that moved you farther back, as it would cut down on the padding?
Do you have these? How do they work? This sounds like a greattt idea and throw some highway pegs and a new seat on as well, that way I have multiple positions to move too.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I don't think the seat will solve your particular problem. You'd be better off looking to moving the pegs out the couple of inches.

You might want to see another guy's solution that he came up with rather than buying an expensive kit:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...ols-vn900.html

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Helek_52; 03-24-2010 at 09:37 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffdeer View Post
Do you have these? How do they work? This sounds like a greattt idea and throw some highway pegs and a new seat on as well, that way I have multiple positions to move too.
I don't own them *yet*, but I've ridden a bike with them attached and it was a VERY comfortable position. I'm 6'4" and 250lbs, so stretching out a bit more is always beneficial, and it sounds like they would help with the problem you're describing.

The guy I ride with a lot saw me with my legs resting on the pegs one day, my feet hanging over the front, and made the recommendation. He also suggested some apes tall enough to put my hands at shoulder height. That upgrade is a little more costly, but someday hope to do that as well, as a test ride with some apes helped me see that it betters my ride posture a bit, taking some of the tailbone pressure away as well.

Of course, these are all based on my experience and preferences, YMMV.

Here's the manufacturer's link: http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/46/IMID/782

I know MeanCycles (one of the forum sponsors) carries them for a bit less, and I'm sure there are lots of other places that carry them as well.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Going with a taller handlebar will certainly straighten your posture, and put you more bluntly into the wind. This may be less of a detraction than it sounds since sitting up straighter will lessen the curvature of your spine and place your weight on your buttocks instead of the tailbone. I don't like tall bars, am fighting tooth and nail the need to do just that to straighten up some. I find that after a couple hours of riding my 800 my abs start to cramp. Leaning the bars back a little helped alleviate that some but the way your bars mount that is not an option. Possibly a set of risers that bring the bars farther back, so you are sitting more upright would help.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Elimin8or23 Send a message via Yahoo to Elimin8or23 Send a message via Skype™ to Elimin8or23
I just got the swing wing pegs. I will be mounting them tonight when I get home and will take some pictures. (at work now) not quite 3 inches of movement, but close as well as the outward movement.

I just looked all over for forward controls (I may still do it later) and this was what I could afford. My 6'7" frame needed something!

I still think I want the mustang seat though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode