LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
New Kuryakyn Grips

OK, I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of Kuryakyn ISO Grips. Long over due. The factory grips have been leaving my hands black for more than a year now. I picked up the original style ISO grips locally and asked about the glue vs hair spray issue. His advice: use the supplied glue but mount the right side first. That comes mounted to a throttle tube so the position isn't adjustable. Dry-fit the left side and use tape or a marking pen to apply alignment marks so you get right the first (and only) time you glue it on.

The right side wasn't too bad although even with the cable adjusts fully loose, I had a hell of time getting them off the old tube withour kinking them. I ended up rolling on the throttle and jamming a wrench behind the air cleaner to hold the hold the throttle open. It probably would have been easier if I removed the air cleaner backing plate, but none of my hex-key sets include 5mm. So, anyway, that done I moved to the left side.

After cutting the old grip off, I sanded the bar with some wet-dry paper and cleaned it up with alcohol (NOT the drinking kind!). On my first dry-fit the grip froze up less than half way on and nearly pushed the bike over. I didn't expect it to be that tight. So I blocked the right side of the bike and tried again; this time twisting as I went. About halfway along the rubber insert folded over and dissappeared into the body of the grip.

Ok, so I pulled it off, sanded the bar some more and finally got it on dry. But it took me considerably more than the 6 seconds instructions give you. So I figured the glue must lube the rubber before it sets right? I glued it up and proceeded to slide it on. Yes the glue acts as a lubricant and the grip slid almost effortlessly on.

I'm thankful for the warnings about not stopping once you start, but it was not nearly as difficult as the instructions make it sound.

So here they are...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewGrips.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	35185  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015/Kawasaki/Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/Grey
I have them in black.
Is it me or is the stock feels more comfy ?

2015 Voyager Black/Grey
My Latest DriftGhost-S + GOPRO HERO4 MotoVlog: WHEN 2 MOTOVLOGGERS MEET IN KSA!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
These feel different than the stock, but my biggest issue with the factory grips is that the diameter is so small that my thumb wraps too far around and I start cramping in about 20 minutes. I haven't had a chance to ride more than 10 miles with the new grips yet, but on the first trip around the block I liked the over-all feel of the ISOs. I did make one small error that actually worked out for the best though. I thought I had the left grip lined up perfectly, but after the glue set I realized I was aoubt 5 degrees off from the right side. However, with this slight off-set, they both are in the same position when I'm cruising at 30mpg and 60mpg. So the valley between the cushions is in the exact right spot on both grips when I'm riding even though they're a little off when the bike is parked.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxVN900 View Post
I have them in black.
Is it me or is the stock feels more comfy ?
Max, I felt the same way when I first put them on this winter. now I love them. the old grips used to feel like my hand would stick to them. not anymore. just give it a little time brother

Black 900 Custom "El Diablo"
Scootworks risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips "black"
Bub Hugger exhaust
Cobra FI2000R
Mustang Daytripper seat
"coming soon" Baron air intake

It doesn't matter what you ride
As long as you ride
LETS RIDE !!!!!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Garage
I didn't use any glue or anything on the left side. The fit was tight enough that the grips aren't going anywhere and with a little bit of force I can adjust them on the fly to where they are comfortable.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
  • Saddleman Profiler Seat
  • Memphis Shades Fats 17"
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malleman1218 View Post
Max, I felt the same way when I first put them on this winter. now I love them. the old grips used to feel like my hand would stick to them. not anymore. just give it a little time brother
I have them for almost a year now but feels to me they cramp my hands faster than stocks

2015 Voyager Black/Grey
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
I did make one small error that actually worked out for the best though. I thought I had the left grip lined up perfectly, but after the glue set I realized I was aoubt 5 degrees off from the right side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS2 View Post
I didn't use any glue or anything on the left side. The fit was tight enough that the grips aren't going anywhere and with a little bit of force I can adjust them on the fly to where they are comfortable.
Me too. I didn't use glue on both sides. Right side holds by the cables & the set. Left side is tight enough to hold but not too tight to twist & adjust on the go

2015 Voyager Black/Grey
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 PM

I also got the ISO grips. I didn't glue either left nor right. Both hold fine. I like the fact that I can play with the left one and put it where I want dependent on what I do. It's snug enough to stay where I want it. Added three rings, end weights and throttle assist (Kuryakyn) to both sides.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 AM

Garage
I used golf club grip tape and solvent for my Kurys. Worked great!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Love the ISO grips. Had to use glue as the grip was loose on dry fit. Used the supplied glue (for the left side only), but after a year the grip came loose. Used gorilla instant glue, and it seems to be working.

I like the larger grip as it keeps me from holding on too tight.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode