This can't be good... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This can't be good...

Had to lay the bike down about a month ago (cager locked up their brakes in front of us) and after all said and done > $4K worth of repairs, mostly cosmetic, and thankfully no serious injuries (gear WORKS!).

Got the bike back a couple of weeks ago and ridden it 5-6 times, limited only by the monsoon season here.

During oil change yesterday, I noticed oil dripping/leaking from the breather box. It was time to clean and oil the K&N, so I opened it up for a closer look.

In the bottom of the breather assy., there's a small hole that I poked a twisted up paper towel into, that came up pretty saturated with oil. There is a hose that feeds into there from the back...I'll assume for oil.

Does anyone know if this is a "normal" place for oil to be and perhaps the wreck caused this to be overfilled, or do you think I should get it back to the shop?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
If the oil has been overfilled, it will blow out of the breather into the air filter box, especially when you run it hard or rev it high.

As long as the oil level isn't really excessively high, it shouldn't be an issue.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Top Contributor

There will always be a little oil in the breather box. I'm not sure why, and there is a way to stop it. From the amount you're talking about, I think Romans is right, it's been overfilled.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks folks. That's what I was hoping.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
$4K worth of repairs
yeah! it's expensive to repair these bikes which is why I now have a 900. It was going to cost that much to fix my honda 750 so I took the totaled out figure and bought this one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardgray View Post
Thanks folks. That's what I was hoping.
An oil mist is always present when your engine is running at cruising speeds and that mist can find it's way into the air cleaner box. In the old days, hmmm, that vent hose just dumped the fumes into the atmosphere. You may have added a little into the vent hose when the bike was laying on it's side too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode