900 classic LT for New Rider? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

900 classic LT for New Rider?

Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and new to the motorcycle world. I'm 52 years old and have never owned a motorcycle in my life. I have ridden them as a kid but that is it. I am looking at the Vulcan 900 Classic LT and would like any advice from you experienced riders about this as a starter bike. I'm looking to make some trips one day but just want to destress on the weekends. Thanks for the help.

Larry from Tennessee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpace502 View Post
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and new to the motorcycle world. I'm 52 years old and have never owned a motorcycle in my life. I have ridden them as a kid but that is it. I am looking at the Vulcan 900 Classic LT and would like any advice from you experienced riders about this as a starter bike. I'm looking to make some trips one day but just want to destress on the weekends. Thanks for the help.

Larry from Tennessee.

It's a perfect starter bike that you will not grow out of in 6 months.

Great choice!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 AM

I would stress taking the Motor Cycle Safety Course, if you can try some bike rides at the local dealers this spring, but I don't think it would be too much as long as you took it easy to start, till you got your legs under you. of course this is taking into consideration, that you are large (size/strength) enough to handle the bike.

2007 VN900 Classic Lt
Chromed Cup Holder
R.F.T.S.
does not matter what you ride
Just Ride Baby Ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM

I am 56 and bought a 900 Classic LT last year. I had a bike when I was in my 20s, but had not ridden since. The 900 is a great bike, you will be pleased with.

To refresh my skills, I took an MSF safety class and they sure taught this old dog some new tricks. Well worth the time and minimal cost. An added advantage is that the class administered the test needed to get my license.

The 900 felt pretty big at first. but as you ride and get accustomed this passes. You are correct, this is a great way to unwind..

and, don't be this guy :

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...7-sad-day.html

Last edited by dan20164; 03-23-2010 at 11:16 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Started riding at 55. Had not been on a bike since small dirt bikes as a teenager. Took the MSF which was harder than expected and learned a lot. At 6'2" 220lbs I had more trouble with small size than anything else as the class was using Honda 250's but still good. I took the extra step of riding a used 250 Virago around town for several months before moving up. It was smaller than I wanted but a neighbor had it for basically what I could resell it for after some use. Made several mistakes that might have laid down a bigger bike but a long inseam can correct a lot of low speed errors on a 250. I now have a 900LT and the bike really felt big when I first got it. Me personally I think the Vulcan would have been too large to start on. The Vulcan 500 would have been about perfect but would have outgrown it eventually.

Bought my current Vulcan from Sloan's up your way. They are a good shop to deal with.

Ron
Southern Crusiers, Chapter #6
2009 Vulcan 900 LT Red/Titanium
Kury Iso Grips and Throttle Lock
Cobra Guard w/Kury Foot Rests
Kawa Windshield Lowers
Scootworks Pulley
Cobra Luggage Rack
Wolo BadBoy Horn

Last edited by TNCarters; 03-23-2010 at 12:36 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I don't think the 900 is necessarily too large a bike to start out with, and like Hendog said, you won't grow out of it in six months. Having said that, it is a bigger bike than most folks start out with simply because many start riding as kids and can't afford a bigger bike at first.

I would also strongly suggest taking a motorcycle safety course for multiple reasons. The two main ones being they will give you a small bike to take the course on thereby giving you a little experience before jumping on the 900 on the road, and it's an excellent safety course. Pay attention to what they tell you. Cars really don't see you on a bike and if you're not defensive, you're dead.

Welcome to the motorcycling experience. Once it's in your blood, you're a biker for life. Enjoy, you've picked an outstanding motorcycle.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Helek_52; 03-23-2010 at 01:28 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to sastrauss
The 900 is the best of the mid size bikes and you can't go wrong with it at all.It give you all the stuff you need.But want's r some thing else .....Enjoy riding ....
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Seadog1967 Send a message via Yahoo to Seadog1967
63 and just starting riding again after decades of absence. Bought 900 classic LT a couple years ago. No problem. Sometimes wish I had bigger bike but always come back with the thought that this is ideal size easy and fast to maneuver, looks like the bigger ones, priced right and great gas mileage. My normal rides are 200-300 per trip. You'll love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 900 LT Classic
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 68"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Larry,
I'm 26, 5' 10" and a huge 165lbs and I just purchased my Vulcan 900. I've never owned a road bike before. I did spend some time riding dirt bikes and maybe that helped with my learning curve. I don't feel this bike is too big for me but I would suggest taking it easy and like others have mentioned an MSF course would be a good start.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpace502 View Post

Larry from Tennessee.
Welcome to the motorcycle world Larry! As a more "seasoned" rider( been legally riding since 1971) I strongly suggest the advice of others be followed. A MSF course, if nothing else to make you aware of the things you already take for granted. I know hundreds of people who did either a beginners or advanced course and only one of those people say they do not feel the better rider or cage driver for it. It will also make you more aware of little things while in your car/truck driving along on familiar ground.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode