post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Hanging idle

Hey all,

So over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a little annoyance. My idle 'hangs' for just a moment. Say it drops from 2500rpm's to 1200rpm's quickly, then drops from 1200-1000 over the period of say 1.5 seconds. All guesstimates. No stopwatch or tach here!

I can't really tell sometimes but sometimes I can tell. It's not severe, but it's definitely different. I went ahead and lubed the throttle cables, that wasn't it. Cleaned the throttle body. Any thoughts? The bike is running fine. Just got back from a 600 mile trip. No issues. But it just has that odd second-or-so hang before it returns to idle.

I know that's classic 'lean condition' on carbed bikes, but the bike is mechanically stock (except for debaffled pipes) and has been this way almost as long as I've owned it (debaffled the pipes a couple months after getting the bike, been that way over a year).

Thoughts? Maybe a clogged vent or vacuum line or something? But which one? Where to look?

Thanks,

John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM

Hi John: That’s interesting! What you’re describing mine has done from the day that I rode it off of the showroom floor. I’ve always had a three tier idle at cold-start; start - fast idle, ramps down to a medium idle after a bit, then settles in at 1000 rpm a short time later.

--2010 900 Classic--
--Argus Battery Bug--
--Cobra rack, passenger backrest, passenger floorboards, tachometer--
--Saddlemen Cruisn Teardrop Saddlebags w/ Quick-Disconnect Mounting Kit--
--Kawasaki windshield & lowers--

Other bike: R1200RTW
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Correct me if I am wrong but I fully believe the mutli-tier idle at cold start is normal. It's the computers way of getting the juices flowing and warmed up as quickly and safely as possible. Watch and listen to your cage (assuming it's fuel injected) the next time you start it. You will notice a simular pattern in most EFI engines.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDog View Post
Hi John: Thatís interesting! What youíre describing mine has done from the day that I rode it off of the showroom floor. Iíve always had a three tier idle at cold-start; start - fast idle, ramps down to a medium idle after a bit, then settles in at 1000 rpm a short time later.
I believe the OP is refering to a fully warmed up engine which would lead one to think mechanical hang up or a sensor heading for failure. He's already lubed the cables and the throttle body shaft.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
It's not severe, but it's definitely different.
I believe it's nothing to worry about until you're 600 miles from home.

You are attuned to how your bikes and sounds and behaves. I wonder if by chance the change in weather(warmer temps) could affect it. Just guessing here! Have you added seafoam, using different gas, gotten it really wet in a rain storm?

What is different?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I believe the OP is refering to a fully warmed up engine which would lead one to think mechanical hang up or a sensor heading for failure. He's already lubed the cables and the throttle body shaft.
Bingo.

Not referring to the 'fast idle' that happens when it's cold. This is when it's warmed up. Say I'm cruising down the road, I pull up to a stop sign/light, and the engine spools down, 'hangs', then finally returns to idle.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Bingo.

Not referring to the 'fast idle' that happens when it's cold. This is when it's warmed up. Say I'm cruising down the road, I pull up to a stop sign/light, and the engine spools down, 'hangs', then finally returns to idle.
Is it consistantly doing this, even when the bike is parked? Is it possible to pull the air cleaner off and watch the action of the secondary throttle mechanism to see if that may be the cause?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Is it consistantly doing this, even when the bike is parked? Is it possible to pull the air cleaner off and watch the action of the secondary throttle mechanism to see if that may be the cause?
Will do when I get a chance.

Basically it always does it. But once in a blue moon it won't. The secondary throttle acting up sounds logical!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Top Contributor

Rome,
It could be as easy as adjusting your idle screw. I do, periodically when things don't "sound right". My 9 seems to edge up on the idle....or down...on occasion.. Readjusting seems to level it out.
Regards, SH

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version