First injury on ride home from work today.... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

First injury on ride home from work today....

Sorry it's long, but I just needed to share...

I was riding home today on a 4 lane rural highway and the pickup in front of me ran over and threw up one of those lawn care company signs that they place in people's yards. You know, the ones with the H shaped wire frame (not the flat steel welded type, but the 1/8"-1/4" welded wire).

I thought I was going to avoid it but, it came down the left side of the bike and, while the foam sign wasn't a problem, the end of the frame that normally goes into the ground went right through the bottom of my shoe and into the sole of my foot. (I was in 5th at this point and riding with my heels on the pegs so my soles were forward)

So, I brought the bike to a controlled emergency stop on the left side of the road with on a 2 foot berm. The cars behind were back far enough that they were able to go around safely as I was stopping.

As I sat there stopped, I realized that, due to the way the wire had embedded and remained, I couldn't put the sidestand down or put my foot down without the wire going further into my foot. So, I sat there, resting on my right foot, and calming down and trying to figure out my next move. I couldn't figure how I was going to get off the bike without dumping it.

I sat for only about 60 seconds (seemed like an eternity), before I looked in my mirror and happened to see a Ohio State Highway Patrol car coming up from behind. He didn't see me right away and had to go past me. He went down the road and did a u-turn and then did another one to pull up behind me.

So, he finally makes his way up to me and, at this point, I'm loudly, but politely telling him put the sidestand down for me so I can get off the bike and do something about my foot. He puts it down and helps me to get off the bike.

We talk for a couple minutes and then he asks if I want him to pull it out of my foot. Honestly, the pain made it feel like 3-4 inches of wire had gone into my foot so I wasn't sure what to do. Ultimately, we agreed that he should pull it out and, like yanking a band-aid off, he pulled it out quickly.

Most of the pain stopped and I was able to check my foot to see the damage, a 1/4" hole with surprisingly little blood. The patrolman provided basic first aid stuff, antiseptic wipes and gauze to clean it up. He suggested a tetanus shot ASAP.

The patrolman that stopped was a fellow rider. He said in his 30 years riding, he hadn't seen anything like this.

I rested for a few minutes, thanked the officer, and then left to get home.

I stopped on the way home and got a tetanus shot and medical care. The wire had only gone in about 1 inch, but that was enough to put me on antibiotics to prevent further infection and give me a limp for a day or two.

Three things I learned today:

Give the car/truck in front several car lengths, even if you are accelerating from a light as we were. I was only about 4 car lengths back and it didn't give me any reaction time to avoid the sign. ("Here's your sign!")

Wear better shoes when riding. I was wearing casual work shoes with a soft rubber sole. My normal riding shoes (although not official riding boots) have about an inch of hard rubber in the spot the wire went through. It may have embedded into the shoe, but not traveled through into my foot.

Thank your lucky stars the Highway Patrol is around when you need them. Earlier in the day, I was cussing at the OHP because they were doing speed enforcement in our area and I had seen no less than 10-12 patrol cars doing radar over a 50 mile trip. While I wasn't speeding, it slowed the traffic to a crawl at each one. Turns out, I was VERY glad they were around to assist.

Lessons learned here......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Glad you're ok. It's amazing the kind of stuff cars and trucks throw up at you when riding.

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
That's gotta land in at least a top 10 of bizarre motorcycle-related injuries. Glad the damage wasn't too bad. I'd have probably panicked and ended up in the ditch wearing my bike in addition to the metal spike in my foot.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Dude, I work in politics and place a lot of signs around town. Yeah, I'll remember this everytime I sink one of these in the ground!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Hate them signs, if not place right they become trash in the street, Glad to hear you came out of it ok

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
That is actually worse than you let on! A one-inch deep puncture from anything, let alone a hunk of wire that has been exposed to who-knows-what, is a very serious injury.

The only way to avoid risk of injury from riding is by not riding. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to it being a lucky day (didn't say which kind) and ride on. As much as possible, I try to ride on extreme edges of the lane (minding oncoming traffic) so I can see part of the road in front of the vehicle in front of me. But sometimes, we just take our chances!

I always wear tactical boots. If I need dress shoes where I'm going, I carry them and change on site. I like my footsies, and I like my ankles! Most of the time I also wear leather pants with CE armor and either a jacket or shirt with CE armor, plus a full face helmet. I'm not quite ATGATT, but really close! I can still get hurt, but the gear should dramatically reduce how bad.

Never fuss about LE, unless it is a rare case of LE behaving out-of-bounds. IMO they are doing one of the toughest jobs outside of active military service. Even when I'm on the wrong end of an encounter, I know that they are simply doing their job. I know I couldn't be LE, too much Army in this blood.

Bottom line though is that you came out okay, won't even have a good scar for war stories! And the good news is that you are obviously taking it in stride. Good for you!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

No picture? Didn't happen.

Seriously tho, glad your ok. And yes, we all curse the LEO's from time to time. I have 2 retired LEO's in my family and can attest that they are doing their job. It is a very small minority of LEO's that make the news for doing the stupid stuff. Best rules to live by when dealing with LEO's: "If you want respect you have to give respect." & "NO sudden movements."

Although I must say, if they decide to make "Final Destination 6" and you see a scene simular to this, get a lawyer, they stole your story.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranzaz View Post
No picture? Didn't happen.
Although I must say, if they decide to make "Final Destination 6" and you see a scene simular to this, get a lawyer, they stole your story.
Sorry, no pictures. It wouldn't look like much and I don't think you want to look at my ugly foot!

As for Final Destination, they're up to number 5? I have to get caught up wit the series. My wife and I love seeing those just to see what new ways the writers have for gruesomely killing off the actors.

OK, I'm now officially over the injury. My Mustang seat was just delivered to my work and I can't wait to get home and install it on the ride. Glad I decided on taking the truck to work today. It wouldn't be easy strapping that seat box on the back of the bike.

Back in the saddle tonight... hitting a vintage Japanese bike show tomorrow at Iron Pony.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Rob,

Glad to hear that you came out of the incident with only fairly minor injuries. It COULD have been a whole lot worse. Infection is a very real possibility.

Here are a couple of comments or things I might have done differently or might want to remind others to be aware of.

First, I don't think I would have had the cop pull the wire out of my foot. Even though it wasn't bleeding much at the time, it's quite possible that the wire may have been helping to stem the flow of blood. Pulling the wire out would then open the flood gates (so to speak) and possibly result in a real danger of bleeding to death on the side of the highway. I think I would have asked the cop to just put me in his squad car and take me to the hospital, or, if he couldn't do that, call me an ambulance or medical emergency vehicle which could transport me. I would also ask the cop to call a tow truck for my bike. I wouldn't have worried about riding it home.

Second, as you pointed out, it's not a good idea to follow another vehicle closely. If possible, try to leave enough room to react to objects in the road. I realize this isn't always possible, but we should try to keep that in mind whenever possible.

Third, when forced to follow a vehicle at a fairly close distance, I always ride in either the left or the right tire track. That way, if the vehicle ahead of you straddles a piece of debris in the roadway, you won't hit it either.

Again, I'm not trying to criticize. I'm just saying what I would have done or tried to do under the circumstances. Good luck in your recovery and thanks for reporting on this unusual incident.

My Current Rides
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Since I am being sued at this moment for $$$ in excess of $100,000.00 for an accident far less complex or damaging...I would kindly suggest you file a prompt lawsuit against those folks who failed to secure their sign and injured you so badly you may never be able to walk normally again.

Sorry for the hysteria comments but it really happens ...every damned day. You see all those damned lawyers on tv 24/7 about injuries???....you fit the bill for certain.

Life is hard....why not try to exploit it once in a while????

Slots

================================================== =======
I was riding home today on a 4 lane rural highway and the pickup in front of me ran over and threw up one of those lawn care company signs that they place in people's yards. You know, the ones with the H shaped wire frame (not the flat steel welded type, but the 1/8"-1/4" welded wire).

I thought I was going to avoid it but, it came down the left side of the bike and, while the foam sign wasn't a problem, the end of the frame that normally goes into the ground went right through the bottom of my shoe and into the sole of my foot. (I was in 5th at this point and riding with my heels on the pegs so my soles were forward)

So, I brought the bike to a controlled emergency stop on the left side of the road with on a 2 foot berm. The cars behind were back far enough that they were able to go around safely as I was stopping.

As I sat there stopped, I realized that, due to the way the wire had embedded and remained, I couldn't put the sidestand down or put my foot down without the wire going further into my foot. So, I sat there, resting on my right foot, and calming down and trying to figure out my next move. I couldn't figure how I was going to get off the bike without dumping it.

I sat for only about 60 seconds (seemed like an eternity), before I looked in my mirror and happened to see a Ohio State Highway Patrol car coming up from behind. He didn't see me right away and had to go past me. He went down the road and did a u-turn and then did another one to pull up behind me.

So, he finally makes his way up to me and, at this point, I'm loudly, but politely telling him put the sidestand down for me so I can get off the bike and do something about my foot. He puts it down and helps me to get off the bike.

We talk for a couple minutes and then he asks if I want him to pull it out of my foot. Honestly, the pain made it feel like 3-4 inches of wire had gone into my foot so I wasn't sure what to do. Ultimately, we agreed that he should pull it out and, like yanking a band-aid off, he pulled it out quickly.

Most of the pain stopped and I was able to check my foot to see the damage, a 1/4" hole with surprisingly little blood. The patrolman provided basic first aid stuff, antiseptic wipes and gauze to clean it up. He suggested a tetanus shot ASAP.

The patrolman that stopped was a fellow rider. He said in his 30 years riding, he hadn't seen anything like this.

I rested for a few minutes, thanked the officer, and then left to get home.

I stopped on the way home and got a tetanus shot and medical care. The wire had only gone in about 1 inch, but that was enough to put me on antibiotics to prevent further infection and give me a limp for a day or two.

Three things I learned today:

Give the car/truck in front several car lengths, even if you are accelerating from a light as we were. I was only about 4 car lengths back and it didn't give me any reaction time to avoid the sign. ("Here's your sign!")

Wear better shoes when riding. I was wearing casual work shoes with a soft rubber sole. My normal riding shoes (although not official riding boots) have about an inch of hard rubber in the spot the wire went through. It may have embedded into the shoe, but not traveled through into my foot.

Thank your lucky stars the Highway Patrol is around when you need them. Earlier in the day, I was cussing at the OHP because they were doing speed enforcement in our area and I had seen no less than 10-12 patrol cars doing radar over a 50 mile trip. While I wasn't speeding, it slowed the traffic to a crawl at each one. Turns out, I was VERY glad they were around to assist.

Lessons learned here......[/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode