I am short and need a handledbar that comes closer to the seat. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb I am short and need a handledbar that comes closer to the seat.

Hello Vulcanites ! Me and my Friend just bought a brand new Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom yesterday.

Love the bike, fit and finish, style and the way it rides. We traded in our kaw Vulcan 750. We had outgrown that bike sort of and needed something with more heft and oomph !

Now that i have driven that bike for a few miles, i noticed that i am not sitting in a upright position which is what i want and is the purpose of riding a cruiser, but i am leaning forward to the handlebar.

I am wondering if any of you have some good suggestions and links to get a custom handlebar that will make it come closer to the seat by a couple inches.

I have a new bike and though am excited, this has been bugging me.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Congradulations on the new bike. Without adding the complications of an entire new handlebar and the associated transfer of controls, you can add risers to your existing bars. Gen-Mar and Scootworks make them for the custom and there is a person at chucksterscustoms.com that will make them for you out of polished aluminum or chromed steel. There is a minimum size dictated by the length of the studs in the bars plus the thickness of the tripletree and the penetration of the bolts from beneath. If you want them longer, that can probably be acomplished but appearance may become an issue if they are too long. These risers are straight so therefore the amount of pull back versus the rise is proportionate based on the angle of the forks. Of course you can also make them yourself if you have some equipment and the volition to do so.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you sailor. I checked that site out and looks good.

Now pardon my ignorance here. What is a riser? And will adding this rise give me more pullback?

Considering that all i need is more pullback, do we know what the pullback length is on a stock kawasaki handlebar ?

I saw this product at scootworks and it says the pullback is 7.5 inches. Now only if i knew what the pullback is on my stock handlebar.

http://www.shopscootworks.com/produc...s=vulcan%20900

Last edited by krravi; 03-21-2010 at 12:22 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:52 PM

In most cases a riser is a separate piece that bolts to triple tree and handle bars bolt to riser. The Custom and other bikes that have tee bars have the risers built into them and bolt directly to the triple tree. Risers will give you some extra pullback but it all depends on the angle of riser and added height. An example would be if the angle was 45 deg, and the riser was 2 inches, the pullback would be 2 inches. But the angle is probably in the 30 degree range so the rise and pullback will not be equal. Do your trig and you can figure it out.

Tee bars don't have as many options to get the correct pullback and rise so they're more difficult to get the correct ergonomics for some people. I ended up putting on separate risers and bars. I word on measurements, they are a good starting point, but until you try them, you won't know how they fiit. I ended up going to a Kawasaki showroom and tried a bunch of bikes and found the ones I like and ordered those. I tried ordering a couple of aftermarket bars based on their measurement, but I didn't like how they fit and ended up sending them back. Here's some pictures of what a custom looks like with Classic risers and bars. The bars where not off of a 900, they had to low of rise, they were off of a Vulcan 1500. Also I didn't have to change my cables.
Obviously looks are a major consideration, so if you like the tee bar looks, you may have to compromise. You could try different seats, I've heard Mustang seats move you a little closer and a little higher.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4149
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Well before i replaced the handlebar, i checked out chucksters.com and actually he just gave me a call.

I bought risers from him, and he said that it will raise the handlebars by 2 inches so it will come closer to me and also raise the height little bit.

I will let you all know how that worked out.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

While i am in the process of putting risers, i am not too keen on the drag bars. I loved the handlebar in my previous kaw vn 750.

So i am wondering if i can put these risers on, so i can pretty much fit any handlebar i like

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ50...=0&results=100
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Yes, you can use any handlebar of the same outside diameter. The stock Kawasaki dia is 1", I didn't see anyplace on your link that stated what diameter bars those risers where for, so I'd check that out.

The bolts were listed as 1/2", you may want to consider that you will have to drill out your triple tree, if my memory serves me, the stock holes are for 8mm bolts (~3/8"). You wouldn't want to go back to stock bars without using a spacer so your bars couldn't move around in hole. You can buy risers made specifically for Kawasaki, that would use the same size bolts and holes. I bought my risers for my 900 custom that were listed for a kawasaki 1500, they were about $100 for the set. These have about 1-1/2" rise but not much extra pullback. You'll definetly have alot more options with standard risers, the handlebar selection is huge.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Something else to consider would be to trade the t-bars off your custom for beach bars from a 900 classic, cheap, straight forward swap, especially if you find a classic owner that wants t-bars. Thats what I did, I didn't like the beach bars on the classic and just swapped a fellow forum member for t-bars off a custom, it worked out for both of us and the only cost involved was shipping. Just a thought.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

"Something else to consider would be to trade the t-bars off your custom for beach bars from a 900 classic, cheap, straight forward swap, especially if you find a classic owner that wants t-bars. Thats what I did, I didn't like the beach bars on the classic and just swapped a fellow forum member for t-bars off a custom, it worked out for both of us and the only cost involved was shipping. Just a thought."

Wow didnt know they were swappable ! Is there a trade thread around here ? And how much hassle is it to remove all the controls from the handlebar?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 PM
BOTM Winner, January 2014

Scootworks' Risers will do the trick.

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| VROC Number: 30028
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode