Shape of top of Windshield - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Shape of top of Windshield

I will put cutting the windshield down on my Batwing today. What shapes do you guys like for the top of your windscreen? My current one of the 12" Memphis Shades Batwing Windshield, it is very rounded at the top. I need to lower it about 2 inches so I was going to reshape it and not make it as rounded on top. What would be the reasoning most windshields are so rounded on top and not just a nice gentle arc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Top Contributor

I am betting it has something to do with structural integrity of the plexiglass. I am a mechanincal engineer on the side, and I know a little about things like arm of force, moment of inertia, elastic modulus, etc. However, I usually deal with metals, not polymers. I assume the folks at Memphis Shades have done testing to determine the necessary curve and shape of the windshield to make it strong enough to not break when the bike is going 70mph in one direction and hits a wind blast from a freight truck going 70mph the other direction. However, given that you are cutting yours down from its original height, you should be able to lessen the curve some and not worry to much about over-stressing the material. There also may be some corelation between shape and amount of wind buffeting, but that is totally out of my area. Just always remember engineering rule #4: It is usually easier to take a little more off, than it is to put some back on.
Good luck.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk22 View Post
What would be the reasoning most windshields are so rounded on top and not just a nice gentle arc?
Simply because the designers at MS think it looks good. You can cut it to any shape you like. Lots of folks have been cutting their windshields down to all kinds of shapes forever. It's all up to you. I had a 1981 GL500I SilverWing and I cut the windshield down about 3 inches. I put masking tape over the area I wanted to cut, marked it, cut it with a jig saw, and sanded the edge. It turned out very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode