first long ride... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

first long ride...

I went for my first long ride since getting the bike...bout 90 miles one way then stayed a few days and rode back...here are the things I discovered

1. Stock seat sucks balls! I could not find a comfortable position at 6'3

2. Its crazy windy at 80mph even with my bullet fairing

3. My feet needed to stretch out a lot more

4. My hands got sore from the stock grips and I wished I had cruise control

I'm planning on getting the forward controls from the member here who makes the custom 4" but I need to improve these other areas bad!

I need two up seat suggestions with no driver back rest but sissybar for wife...it doesnt need to be a lazy boy boy but its gotta be better than stock!

I need grip suggestions....cruise control?

Too be perfectly honest it was a terrible ride and I just wanted it to end...I like the around town but man after bout 30 min I was ready for it to be over...anyone else had similar stock option comfort issues or am I just a diva?

Tyanks fkr the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 AM

Maybe motorcycling isn't for you mate ...
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Maybe a little diva, just kidding. The seat is o sore spot for most with stock seat. Mustang wide tour seats are very popular options to the stock seat. Cobra, I believe makes a quality sissy bar for most bikes, in different hieghts and styles, others do aswell including Kawasaki. Kuryaki makes a wide variety of grips. If you dont have one, I suggest a highway "crashbar", also know as engine guard. Baron makes a good one for your bike I believe. Some come with foot rest built in, others you can add pegs to for that extra stretchout room.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Top Contributor

My wife is sitting on the couch, rolling laughing. 90 miles? We do that before breakfast on a typical Saturday ride. Her first long ride on her VN 900 Classic LT was appx 800 miles, one way, and she did it with a totally stock bike.

Last edited by mark edward marchiafava; 06-18-2013 at 08:25 AM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 AM

90 miles. Oh my.

I had a 900 and it certainly was not a long distance tourer - for me. However, I frequently did 100-300 mile rides on it. That said, there are a few things to consider:

New seat. My backside isn't as sensitive as some on here but I found the stock seat to just plain suck. I had a gel seat pad that I put on top and it helped. Since I only kept the bike 2 years I am glad I didn't go with an aftermarket seat. Mustang or Corbin or Russell.

Cruise Control. Good luck on that. You can try a throttle lock style but I found the cramp buster to be of great help for me. It was enough that I could release the tension on grip. That was worth 9.95 at cycle gear.

Without lowers crazy windy is the way it is. You are getting buffeting up the tank. Lowers are your only real choice for the 900 and there are home made and after market options. My Nomad has lowers and it really makes a difference.

Another obvious thing. You are 6-3. Comfort on the 900 is going to be a bit difficult anyway. It is a middleweight cruiser that realistically is designed for the 5-7 to 5-11 crowd. Just based on where stuff is placed on the bike. I am at the other end of the spectrum and found the 900 to be perfectly sized. My Nomad is a great ride but it is a stretch on the legs when moving the bike around.

Last. 80 mph is pretty darn fast on a 900. You are about topped out. When I had mine I generally avoided freeways for backroads, except for my commute. The 900 just isn't a high speed bike - my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy it.

2009 1700 Nomad
Candy Diamond Red/Pearl Luster Beige
Light Bar
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 AM

You don't specify what bike you have in your post, but assuming, from reading other replies, that you have a 900, I don't think you have enough "bike" for your size. If you intend on much open road riding, you should probably consider something with a larger frame, and larger eigine.. Something deliberately designed for that [B]typeof riding. You would be much happier all around. The 900 is great for general purpose rides and short jaunts. Not so great for larger folks or [B]long rides. Been there. That's why I upgraded to the Nomad model. Same reasons as yours. It all depends on your riding styles, which only you can determine. Take care.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I'm with ya man. Don't listen to these folks. 90 miles is a chore on that bike stock. But pretty soon, you'll understand why they are laughing!

1) Believe it or not, over time, you'll be more comfortable on your bike anyway, you'll build up new muscles (it's true!)

2) Get a new seat. Don't waste your time or your money on seat covers. They improve, but not enough. Mustang Wide Touring is fantastic. I went from sore after 40 miles to being able to ride tank-to-tank effortlessly.

3) Highway pegs are a must. Moving your legs around is a necessity. Also, keeping your legs stretched out will help your hind end feel better!

4) Get off the dang interstate! It's boring as all get out, LOL.

5) Don't use the term 'cruise control'. It's a throttle lock and it's a pet peeve of mine when people call throttle locks cruise control. Cruise control maintains speed, not throttle You can go the throttle lock route, but I have had tremendous success (Just got done with a 600 mile trip on my 900, 2500 mile trip last year) with a 'cramp buster'. It's this little plastic thing that wraps around your throttle and allows you to change hand positions.

http://www.crampbuster.com/

Get the 'CB2', the wide one. It's wonderful!

Have fun! The 900 is a great touring machine once you get it configured right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock1 View Post
You don't specify what bike you have in your post, but assuming, from reading other replies, that you have a 900, I don't think you have enough "bike" for your size. If you intend on much open road riding, you should probably consider something with a larger frame, and larger eigine.. Something deliberately designed for that [B]typeof riding. You would be much happier all around. The 900 is great for general purpose rides and short jaunts. Not so great for larger folks or [B]long rides. Been there. That's why I upgraded to the Nomad model. Same reasons as yours. It all depends on your riding styles, which only you can determine. Take care.
The frame on the 900 is nearly the size of the 1700 models, it's just not as heavy! I'm a big guy, and I ride it two up long distances loaded down with luggage!

That was one of the best things Kawasaki did with the 900; they took a mid-sized bike that's cheap and cheap on insurance, and put it into a big frame capable of doing a lot more!

Not saying there aren't trade-offs. Or that the 900 is the best bike ever. BUT; I and others have no problems with lots of long distance riding on our 9's! I've ridden a 1700 Voyager. Suspension was better, it was smoother, better wind protection, lower RPM's; but it really didn't feel any 'bigger' (other than being heavier). My feet felt like they were in the same spot as before, as were my hands!

So, no doubt a Nomad is a better touring machine; but I wouldn't tell OP to just give up and jump ship just yet. With a few tweaks the 900 is very capable.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 06-18-2013 at 09:13 AM.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso318 View Post
I went for my first long ride since getting the bike...bout 90 miles one way then stayed a few days and rode back...here are the things I discovered

I'm planning on getting the forward controls from the member here who makes the custom 4" but I need to improve these other areas bad!

I need two up seat suggestions with no driver back rest but sissybar for wife...it doesnt need to be a lazy boy boy but its gotta be better than stock!

I need grip suggestions....cruise control?

Too be perfectly honest it was a terrible ride and I just wanted it to end...I like the around town but man after bout 30 min I was ready for it to be over...anyone else had similar stock option comfort issues or am I just a diva?

Tyanks fkr the help

Yes most think the stock seat sucks, I have a stock seat, my weight is only 175, I find I need to be riding more then 5 hrs before butt soar. Some of the riders I have meet like the Airhawk seat pad, they don't want to fork out the money for a new 3rd party seat

Bullet fairing works great for a sports bike, on a crusier you sit up right so you get blasted by the wind, on a sports bike you are lean over into the fairing and also you have all the lower fairing to help get air around you.

Might try a different shield

Crash bars with highway pegs, lol I can't have highway pegs on my crash bars, I can't reach them

You say hands, so I am asuming you mean both, well ligthen up on the grip, your left hand can just rest when riding the slab, for the right hand get a cramp buster, Easy to use and you just need one finger to move the throttle, also Cheap money. Most cruise control for the 900 is just locking the throttle, no real control, just set the speed then lock it. My self I find that dangerous , if that lock don't unlock your [email protected]&%.

You could buy a different bike ,

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Top Contributor

I feel ya!

I got a seat pad online for 50 bucks. I also purchased 2 cramp busters for each grip and this helps a bunch.

I found a used Memphis fats break-away shield on Craigslist which keeps wind/bugs off chest.

I just don't have a lot of $$ to spend but these things made a big difference.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Top Contributor

Long rides and seats

I have a spinal cond. that makes most seats uncomfortable to me, but I do manage a couple of long rides a yr. usually about 1500 to 2,000 mi each. I have a mustang seat now but it was broken in by a previous rider, doesn't fit me exactly. I had a nice Corbin seat on a bike I traded that was very comfortable. I saw on the forum that someone was using padded bicycle shorts under their pants. Has anyone tried this.??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode