High flow air filter and performance upgrade questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

High flow air filter and performance upgrade questions

Hey brothers. I've got a 2012 classic SE and have done the stage 2 debaffle.
I've been considering some performance upgrades but not sure where to start. I've looked at the Cobra Powerflo air intake and a KN high flow air filter but not sure if I add one or both of these if I will need a PCV or some other air fuel ratio mapping device.

Am I on the right track or what performance based mods does anyone recommend? Just put smog block offs, KN air, and PCV on my 2012 zx6 and it made it such an insanely hard pulling machine, just hoping to do something similar with the Vulcan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Top Contributor

Upgrades

I did pipes and intake on my 2008 custom, and that made a huge difference. I am not running an aftermarket EFI controller right now and the bike still runs fine, but we are at a bit of an altitude here. Most everyone else in the forum has some sort of controller once they do both mods.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 PM
pch

From what I've gathered if you do pipes only then you do not need a fuel upgrade. If you do an intake and pipes then you need a fuel upgrade.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
In order to get meaningful gains you need to do all three. DANAD, you say it runs fine, but have you pulled the plugs? You could be running lean, even at your altitude (as these bikes are pretty lean from the factory)

You can do pipes and intake, but you won't have any extra fuel; so no more power.

You can do pipes and processor, but there won't be any more air because of a restrictive intake.

You can do intake and processor, but there still won't be any more air because the restrictive stock exhaust and cats won't allow exhaust gases to escape, thus there will be no room for all the new air!

Alone or two at a time you can get mild gains, but it all comes together (and runs right!) when you have all three. If you are really serious about wanting your bike to run well and perform the best it possibly can, pony up and take it to a Dyno. Every bike is difference, guesswork (using maps for similarly configured 900's) can get you in the ballpark but if you want it to really pull, get it on a Dyno.

Folks who have done 'the big three' AND got it on a Dyno, have reported some pretty incredibly gains, some getting close to 100hp I've heard.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 PM

LA Choppers xXx Big Air Kit love this kit and cheap price! I also have Cobra Fi2000R PowerPro Tuner (Auto Tune) It plug and play no set up love this mod to! and with the secondary butterfly remove ( make a search about this a lot of good info on this forum !!) with those you will have some good gain!!

Vance and Hines Slash-Cut Staggereds.
LA Chopper intake
Cobra FI2000 PowrPro (auto tune)
Hid head light
Wrap Around LED Fork Turn Signal
Integrated Tail and Turn Signal Kit
side mount plate
HANDLEBAR SANTEE 10" STRAIGHT-UP (harley handlebars)
black exhaust wrap
Kuryakyn BLACK ISO-GRIPS
Black Spear Custom Side Mirrors
Baron 1-2`` Lowering kit
Avon 230 and 90/90
Saddlemen Renegade Solo Seat
secondary butterfly remove
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 PM

On my 2010 custom se I just added v and h black twin slash staggered, black hypercharger and cobra fi 2000r, Big improvement over my stage two stock pipes. Now waiting on the cobra tachometer and few other mods. Good luck

Last edited by Black Betty; 06-18-2013 at 10:01 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Top Contributor

Auto Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaths View Post
LA Choppers xXx Big Air Kit love this kit and cheap price! I also have Cobra Fi2000R PowerPro Tuner (Auto Tune) It plug and play no set up love this mod to! and with the secondary butterfly remove ( make a search about this a lot of good info on this forum !!) with those you will have some good gain!!
I don't ride the 900 as much as I ride my V2K, and I rarely leave town on long rides when I do ride it so the FI was not a priority. As I said earlier, the bike appears to run stronger than with factory restrictions here so I didn't worry about it. I am interested in the Autotune though and if it works on 9's with BAK and cobra 2 to 1 pipes I will try it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANAD View Post
I don't ride the 900 as much as I ride my V2K, and I rarely leave town on long rides when I do ride it so the FI was not a priority. As I said earlier, the bike appears to run stronger than with factory restrictions here so I didn't worry about it. I am interested in the Autotune though and if it works on 9's with BAK and cobra 2 to 1 pipes I will try it.
Unless you use a fuel programmer it WILL run stronger with the factory restrictions. It's just a simple mapped fuel injection system, it's not like your car- it doesn't adjust itself for the conditions. So it's dumping the exact same amount of fuel even if you are running a high flow intake and exhaust; meaning it's now running super lean and losing power! Add a fuel processor to dump more fuel, and you're golden!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM

I agree with Romans on doing all 3, I have the Ness big sucker with a kn air filter noticeable performance difference between stock and doing all 3 performance mods I live in west texas

Gene
VROC
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic - Black
Britt Signature Series drag pipes -Chrome
Debadged and reflectors removed
Cobra Alt. cover
Cobra rear master cylinder cover Chrome
Ness Tear Drop Mirrors
Cobra Vulcan Brake reservior cover chrome
Chrome Horn Cover
Ferro Industries Chrome Radiator Cover
Ness Big Sucker
Cobra FI 2000 Fuel Processor 4-2-0
Throttle plate Mod
Galfer Braided Lines Front & Rear
Barons Rad Kaw Drag bars
Saddlemen Renegade Delux Solo Seat
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:01 PM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Unless you use a fuel programmer it WILL run stronger with the factory restrictions. It's just a simple mapped fuel injection system, it's not like your car- it doesn't adjust itself for the conditions. So it's dumping the exact same amount of fuel even if you are running a high flow intake and exhaust; meaning it's now running super lean and losing power! Add a fuel processor to dump more fuel, and you're golden!
while that statement is mostly correct , it is quite possible that his bike is not running any leaner than a stock bike would be at sea level....remember he is at about 7000ft elevation.....just that big of a change in elevation would put a stock bike on the rich side......remember these bikes don't have a means to adjust for altitude either .....and factory mapped to run at sea level...

VN 900 custom "Cheapo-Glide"
Reckless (clone of) fairing
Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement