Tires & steel-grate bridge - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Tires & steel-grate bridge

The fastest way for me to get to IL. is over a steel-grate bridge @ Sabula,IA & Savanna,IL. I'm going to need new tires (someday) & wondered if anybody has one to recommend for travelling these kind of bridges. I go over it occasionally but I sure don't like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Garage
Just relax your grip on the bars. Dont fight it. Bridge gratings dont bother me except in the rain.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I care more about SPG (smiles per gallon)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
than MPG (miles per gallon)

2009 Vulcan 500 LTD
Scootworks Risers
Slipstreamer Enterprise windshield
Protac driver backrest
Rumble Road speaker system
River Road saddlebags
Priority Plus tail light module
Kuryakyn chrome accessory plug
Kuryakyn ISO grips (6235)with Throttle Boss
JTF512 17tooth sprocket
"Manuel/Vicente" custom engine guard
Hardley highway pegs (freebies)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

move your weight to the back and add a little gas ..

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice but, I've had tips shared from my fiancé that has rode for 40+ yrs. He had a "76 Bicentennial Electra Glide (he bought brandnew) that had tires kinda flat like a car tire which he said rode over it WAY different than the ones today on his Goldwing. I just think there my be tire brand/size that may be better on my 900.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 02:33 PM

i have the Metzlers 90/90/21 in front and 200/70/15 in rear. big difference especially in the front. she don't wobble on the rain graits anymore or follow those cracks in the road. the stock dunlaps followed EVERY crack and felt like it was swimming on the graits. the scariest time I had was in a curve riding about 60mph with my lady and leading a pack of 6 bikes and hit a crack "rut" that took me into the oncoming lane. she was wobbling so bad if I would have tried to fight her any harder we would have gone down. the fellows behind me thought I was going down for sure. thank god no one was coming in the opposite direction and I could use the whole road. my lucky day I guess. but IMO spend the money on a good set of tires. you only have 2 tires instead of 4 and your life IS depending heavily on those 2 tires.

Black 900 Custom "El Diablo"
Scootworks risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips "black"
Bub Hugger exhaust
Cobra FI2000R
Mustang Daytripper seat
"coming soon" Baron air intake

It doesn't matter what you ride
As long as you ride
LETS RIDE !!!!!!!!!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Well, the 90/90 isn't going to help Feenix any, looks like her bike is a classic. Feenix, if you still have the OEM tires, anything else will handle better on bridges, roads, dirt or gravel. Those dunnies are just worthless. Like Malleman, I'm riding a custom so my front tire is very narrow compared to yours but I did find that the Metzler and Pirellis I've run both handles steel grates better than the OEMs. That said, I don't think you can get rid of the steel grate wobble. I always thought the problem was narrow tires, but my car has P225/45R18s (widest tire I've driven) and that thing pulls back and forth like crazy on bridges. What ever you end up doing, let us know how it works out for you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 AM
Top Contributor

The Dunlops are rubbish on tracks like this. Metz 880s are much better - in fact anything with a tread that isn't so vertical. Until I changed tires was quite fearful of bitumen patches where you had old & new road with a seam parallel to the centre line.

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Top Contributor

Tires, stel grate bridges etc.

I don't have any new advise on this type of handling, but I did especially like the one about relaxing grip on the bars. I learned this and it sure made it easier for me. It's ok to let it wobble a bit but it won't fall down. They should make a toy and write a song about that.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Top Contributor

All riders have their own techniques learned from experience, and they are good if they work for you. I would be interested in knowing more about the tires that were mentioned. I know of some guys running automobile tires on the rear, not a good idea. I rode a friends Valkyrie set up like that and it was hard to corner.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

The tires I mentioned on my fiancés 1976 Electra Glide were the stock &/or Harley replacements back in the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode