Loud click sound when starting my VN900 Custom this morning - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Loud click sound when starting my VN900 Custom this morning

I started my bike as usual this morning and as soon as it started I began to hear a loud clicking noise. I turned off the engine and it was still doing it. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 PM

Clue

A lot of missing info, most importantly is from what area of the bike is the "clicking" emanating from? The first and most obvious choice is a short in the wiring between one of the control (clutch, brake, starter button, etc.) and the starter solenoid or the solenoid itself shorting internally. Need more info. Where's the sound coming from? What year/model bike? What caused the clicking to stop? Or, have you bothered to check/change oil lately? Ever taken the left side oil screen out and looked for S**t blocking the oil pump? Was the emergency flasher on? What was the color of the weed you were smoking?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
What was the color of the weed you were smoking?
Great investigation work their chief!

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The sound seems to be coming below the right side cover.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 AM

In your VN900 Service Manual, chtr 16 pg 53, you'll see that the starter selonoid is located there, as on most VN models. Click, no starter motor turning, is this correct? First check your battery charge level, or jumper the battery and hit the go button a weak battery but good connection to the sel can result in this problem. Same result with jumper or fully chg'd bat, next most likely clue is the cable connection at the starter, Remove, clean replace and tighten. Still no start, follow the frame to engine ground strap/wire and make sure there is no break or looseness. Still no start there is a 99 percent prob that it's in the starter motor, either a lot of brush dust getting in the way of a single brush contact or just plain worn brushes. See your service manual for using an ohm-meter, or use a battery jump directly to the bat terminal and see if it spins ***CAUTION***make damn sure the bike is in neutral because this will bypass all of the safety switches and diodes and could leave you under the bike!! If this works but still nothing from the go button, carefully remove and check the starter cable for breaks or shorts. Let me know.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

But it does start and runs fine this is the weird part for me. I recorded the sound but can't post a video on the website. And when I turn the bike off it continues for a bit. Could it have something to do with the new pipe that I just installed? Something to tight or something like that?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Intrsng. Having no idea here, because WHAT would cause a) a clicking sound as 1st described when you went to start the bike up (engine cold) and b) also cause the SAME "clicking" when shutting down..do I have that correct?? It would not be the "pipe" (exhaust I am assuming) on startup since there would be no heat expansion of the pipe, heat shield or joints. IT SHOULDn't be the Strt selonoid on shutdown unless there was an interniitent short in the junction box or wiring harness. So, first, just to screw my head on straight, is it EXACTLY the same clicking noise in both startup or shutdown scenario? And, take your rgt sd cover off and place your hand on the starter sel (small round 1 inch cylinder in the front part of the wiring mess under there) and see if you feel/hear it clicking at the same time in both situations. If yes, then does it happen on shutdown w/diff procedures such as by switching off ignition versus putting down the sidestand while in gear or using the emergency kill switch. Try each.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 AM

AND THEN IT DAWNED ON ME. IS YOUR DFI light on (showing a code)?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

No FI light is on. The bike rides fine what is the DFI light?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 04:10 PM

FI and DFI light is the same just long-hand For Digital Fuel instead of just Fuel Injection. We are getting no where with this because (blame it on me) I can't get a decent idea of exactly what you are hearing and when. I'll ask again, for a reason please understand...is it the EXACT same clicking noise on startup and shutdown. Does it occur when the ignition is first turned on, or after it sits for a second or two, or when you hit the starter button? WHERE is the clicking coming from, the side cover area, the rear gas tank area, or the throttle body area, or??? When you shut it off, does the clicking occur immediately or after a few seconds with the key on after stopping with the sidestand. Same question in re: using the kill switch. OF course you could just stop by the Stealership and ask the wrench guy to listen to it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode