Get By With a Little Help From My Friends - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

I just got a 2006 Kaw 900 Classic FI with a bit over 5,000 miles on it from my son. The last time that it was cranked up was 6 months ago. He did not winterize, or shelter, but left it outside with a non-waterproof nylon cover. It will not run (shocker). I put a new battery in it, added Seafoam, inj. cleaner, and approx. 4 gallons of fresh gas in the tank. I pulled the plugs, checked fine for fire, checked the synth oil and is also fine. Still turns over but won't start, what next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Top Contributor

Throw out fuel and refill with fresh. Add a double dose of Seafoam or Chemtool B-12. I prefer B-12, plus it's much cheaper. If the additives can't clean up the varnish left behind you've got a manual cleaning job in your future. Spray cleaner should get the throttle body clean.

2007 Custom
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

O.K., since the suggestion about getting rid of the gas in the tank and put all NEW gas and B-12, I discovered a deeper issue. I draing the tank and as it was syphoning, there were LOTS of black flakes being sucked out. I spoke to a local Kaw dealer (yikes!) He claimed that the flakes were the lining of the tank. Said that even if I clean it out, the remaining lining will continue to flake. He wanted to have me buy a NEW TANK, NEW FUEL FILTERS, and REPLACE the injectors!! I DON't have $1,000 to give a dealer!! So, have you ever come across anything like this and if so, are there any other options for me??

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Top Contributor

Hey Jeez.......Not sure about tank lining or not.......There have been people in this forum and others who have had similar problems....After removing the tank they have put something in the tank and shook it up 2 remove the debris......And i am sorry i can't think of what it is they use, sorry......Hopefully someone who has done this will help u out or if u search the forum u may find some posts.....Sorry can't b more help......Terry.......

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 AM
Top Contributor

Here's the do-it-yourself method I use on old tanks:
1) Wash the tank a few times with warm water and Dawn dish detergent. Dawn is excellent at eliminating explosion possibilities.
2) Throw an handfull of old (but clean) bolts in the tank. Shake tank and periodically inspect the inside. I use a small extension mirror and flashlight. This can take while and won't damage the tank unless you go crazy with the shaking part.
3) I use the Bill Hirsch tank sealing kit ($75) but POR-15 will work too. The kits come with an etching solution to restore the phosphate coating in the tank.
4) Add the sealant solution. Which ever kit you use it must be compatible with ethanol fuel - the two above are compatible with ethanol. Both of the above products will also seal pinholes in older tanks too.

There are faster methods but the risk to damaging the paint will be significant and the checmicals to remove the old coating are likely to be on the EPA's top ten most wanted list. You could always try a body shop for other ideas.

2007 Custom
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Garage
Not sure where you live but our local radiator shop, Sims, does a good gas tank strip, clean, and reseal job on cars and bikes. They've been doing it for many years and are very experienced and trustworthy. If there are old filters on the bike I'd definitely replace them, but I personally don't see why you would "have" to replace the injectors, a simple cleaning should do. I think the dealers trying to sell you all he can of course.

Last edited by bdman; 03-17-2010 at 09:33 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks to you all for your assist. And bdman, I DEFINITELY feel that "dealer trying to pick our pocket" effect!!! Sure, it may be their jobs to try to bring more bucks into their shop, but NOT MINE!!! Thanks again!!! Jeez
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM

did you try a little fuel (or wd40) in the throttle bodies? Will it fire then?

If not you may have an ignition issue.

Also DO NOT use brake cleaner, it is not good when heated (burned)...
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

O.K., the plot thickens . . . I pulled the tank off and drained it. It has quite a bit of rust inside. Also, when I took the fuel filter out, not only was it full of rust flakes and varnish, but the two wires that come from the condenser to the studs were sheered off at the eyelets of the connectors!! I freaked when I saw electric connections inside of the fuel tank?? I didn't have much slack to work with, so I skinned back the wire ends and screwed them back down on the studs. What's up with that? No threat of explosion in the tank? There's also a good bit of of rust flanks in the "bowl" that the body of the pump, is that where the gas is drawn through the fuel pump and sent to the fuel line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode