Scoot works pulleys wobble - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Scoot works pulleys wobble

Just installed a used set of pulleys I purchased from a member on here. The problem I am having is the rear pulley has a slight wobble. Took it back of and checked all the cushions. With pulley of and a block of wood set hub back in place tapping down with block. Still has a slight wobble. Can't see how it could get bent more like machining off. Any input will be helpful. Maybe they all do some. Never paid attention till now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I think I'd be hoping to return it. Seems like quite a few people have problems with the non-OEM pulleys....that's why I just plan on getting used to the vibration at highway speeds.

If Loud Pipes Save Lives, I'm Gonna Live Forever!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I noticed the same thing when I reinstalled my wheel after a tire replacement. Took the pulley off and it's prefect, no warp or wobble on a flat surface (granite counter). Made sure all the bushings were in correctly, even tried to match them (which helped). Reinstalled, adjusted (still a slight wobble), rode for a couple hundred miles and wobble is gone. My only thought is the bushings have to settle back in after the pulley has been removed from the wheel (when you change a tire). Just my guess.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Yes, some folks have had issues with the "old" Scootworks front pulley. I have not heard of any issues with the rear.

I suppose I am a bit biased, but having the BARON'S rear pulley on the bike (with a taller rear tire, in my case) makes such a huge difference that I would never go back to the stock rear pulley (note to dirtwiz).

A very slight machining error would not likely show up using a block of wood and a calliper. You would have to do a "runout" test on the pulley itself with a proper runout dial indicator, preferably in a lathe, correctly mounted. It does seem a bit hard to believe that the Scootworks factory machined the piece with a wobble, but stranger things have happened.

As Bosco said, he had a very small (but visible) wobble, but it worked itself out in the first few hundred miles of riding. I would re-torque the mounting nuts after those few hundred miles, you can do this right on the bike no problem.

Give it another go before trying to return the part.

BTW, I would be more worried about incorrectly mounting the front pulley as you cannot see it on a daily basis, and it also must be carefully mounted and torqued exactly to spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode