Painting my debaffled pipes! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Painting my debaffled pipes!

So about a year ago I got my hand on an extra set of stock pipes for $50, and decided that it was time for me to attempt the debaffling process. Not exactly sure how most people do their "stage 2" debaffling process. But I grinded the welds down on the sleeves, slid them off and actually cut my mufflers completely out before the cats. No regrets! Deff loud, but I like it that way. I get compliments on the bike and the way it sounds all the time.

Now.. What has been driving me nuts for almost year though is the way the ends of my exhaust looked. After removing the end plates leaving that nice wide opening at first looked fine.. Then slowly but surely condensation and rain settling at the bottom would cause almost a rust look. Not cool!

So I decided to go to autozone and buy some sand paper and VHT( very high temperature) spray paint in flat black. And try to give the ends of my pipes a little makeover.. And we'll I couldn't be happier with the results!

A little bit of taping off the bike, 10 minutes of sanding, and 3 coats of paint later.. They look great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	33633  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Don't mind how dirty my bike actually was either lol.. The chrome on the pipes was pretty dirty between all the rain lately and pollen.. Ohh I hate the pollen!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Nice job, that's going to be my next modification. How does it run after the debaffle?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM

I did the same to mine and after 3 yrs they still look good...

Irwin Griego
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I've got the full debaffle too. (Stages make no sense to me. De=remove baffle=baffle. Debaffle=remove baffle, right? So I debaffled my bike, I removed the baffles. Anything else is just a 'modified baffled

Sounds great, not as loud as some aftermarket- a nice sweet spot between ear-bleeding loud and quiet stockers. Bikes runs great also! Now- every bike is different (some bikes in some climates need a fuel processor stock it seems like!), but with a stock intake my bike runs fine, and checking plugs after a couple thousand miles confirms it's not running excessively lean or rich, (the bikes do run a bit lean from the factory). I'm happy I did it!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Last person who had my bike did the same , it is a much better look

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Been thinking of removing the end plates and cutting down the inner pipe and drilling some holes. Has anyone done that??? how does it sound?????

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFISH View Post
Been thinking of removing the end plates and cutting down the inner pipe and drilling some holes. Has anyone done that??? how does it sound?????
Yes, lots of folks have done that. They call it a stage-something-or-other debaffle. (IMHO, it's only a debaffle if the baffles have been removed. So I just call it 'modified baffles

Now, I went through all of the 'stages' with mine, all in the garage, didn't sound right until they were gone. This is just one mans opinion, but any modification of the baffles (holes drilled, etc.) was too 'coffee can' sounding for me. It basically takes the high and fairly tinny stock exhaust, and makes it louder. When the baffles are completely removed, the sound is not MUCH louder (except at high RPM), but it's much, much deeper. It only sounds aftermarket when the baffles are out.

So my recommendation for folks is just to yank 'em out and be done with it. Sounds better, it's quieter than aftermarket, but louder than stock. The 'sweet spot' for a lot of folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2gRAu4CLr4

Skip to the one minute mark to get an idea of what these pipes sound like, completely debaffled, through the rev range.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Had a lady move over the lane on me. She heard the new horn I put on. It's suppose to rain here all day Saturday here so it's a good time to ice down some beers get out the cigars and work on the pipes.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM

GFISH, I would suggest drilling out the center screen first then ride it. I have the center screen drilled out and had 4 half inch holes drilled. Never did really like the sound so I had a friend make 2 stainless steel washers which I used to cover the 4 holes using gasket maker and self tapping screws. Now it idles quiet and definitely has that v twin rumble when accelerating. Sounds much better.

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode