Can I change the oil filter without draining the oil? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Can I change the oil filter without draining the oil?

I'm in the midst of an oil change, I drained, swapped the filter and am in the process of refilling. I came here to double check capacity, and reading through a post I realize I forgot to lubricate the rubber gasket on the new filter. Maybe not a big deal but maybe I can still remove it without worrying about oil leaking out? So far I put 3 qtz back in, haven't run the engine yet...

So can I remove the filter with the oil pan 3 quarters full?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by varrus999 View Post
I'm in the midst of an oil change, I drained, swapped the filter and am in the process of refilling. I came here to double check capacity, and reading through a post I realize I forgot to lubricate the rubber gasket on the new filter. Maybe not a big deal but maybe I can still remove it without worrying about oil leaking out? So far I put 3 qtz back in, haven't run the engine yet...

Thx
Guess what...I tried, you can no issues...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Not sure about this, I think you could remove the filter without oil loss but...

Don't worry about oiling the gasket. Better too? Yes, but it is not that big of a deal. Many filters come with a thin oiling already (I know the K&N filter does, I just did my oil last night and noticed such).

Add on's/Mods:

Memphis Shades Fats 17"
Cobra Short Round Sizzy Bar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Cobra Passenger Floorboards
Tsukayu Strong Leather Hard Bags
Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Communicators
Mustang Vintage Wide Touring Seat w/backrest
Baron's Front and Rear Pulleys

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM

The filter relies on oil being pumped through it to work, so as long as the engine is off, it won't get flow. You won't dump all your oil out the filter hole.

Done it on both a bike and car, both times the only oil lost was what was in the filter.

Life is a runaway train you can't wait to jump on...

His: 2009 Vulcan 900 LT
Hers: 2013 Hyosung ST7
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Top Contributor

Last time I changed mine, the FI light stayed on for awhile unit oil had pumped a few cycles thru filter. I don't remember seeing this before but don't trust my memory either.

I would not worry about greasing gasket this time but you must always lick your lips before planting a wet one on momma.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varrus999 View Post

Thx
The only reason you need to put oil on the filter is to keep the o-ring from cutting or roll out of place while installing it.
david
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo311 View Post
Last time I changed mine, the FI light stayed on for awhile unit oil had pumped a few cycles thru filter. I don't remember seeing this before but don't trust my memory either.

I would not worry about greasing gasket this time but you must always lick your lips before planting a wet one on momma.
That was probably your oil light which is right next to the FI light....at least it is on my bike 900 Classic. That's normal.

If Loud Pipes Save Lives, I'm Gonna Live Forever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode