Air Filter removal...bad... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Air Filter removal...bad...

The one screw at the top was complete stripped...i have the old filter pulled off by cracking it off but I still can't get that bloody screw out ...it has some plastic remnants of the filter left around it so i can't get a good grip from the outside...tried a 'grabit' stripped screw removal tool but that thing won't budge!

Has anyone else had this issue???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Ahh never mind...the instructions for using the grabit tool were next to my keyboard and I reread them after my post...'use burnishing tool in reverse, counter clockwise'..

Stupid me I thought you drill like a normal drill but and then reverse and pull it out with the other end.....live and learn!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Glad you got it out. What filter/air cleaner are you installing?

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie453 View Post
Glad you got it out. What filter/air cleaner are you installing?
I went OEM which was available locally. I'm looking forwarded to my ride later - the old filter was completely clogged, I don't think it was changed ever. Hoping for better fuel economy too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM

I had the same problem with that screw! I had to snap off the filter and then expose the sides of the screw. Actually had to use a vise grip. It was that tight. I swear it was installed with an impact wrench. Seriously!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
If you thought your air filter screws were tight, wait till you guys try to get the factory installed oil filter off...

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie453 View Post
If you thought your air filter screws were tight, wait till you guys try to get the factory installed oil filter off...
Mine was ok, I've already done a couple of oil changes. I bought my bike used and the oil had been changed before me. With the oil filter there are many tricks..I had to use the old screw driver trick on my VFR..but that air filter was such a pain. Why would it be tightened to much!! I tried the vice grip but I couldn't get all the plastic off, and I was starting to get rough with the patient!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode