24 Hour Practice Trip - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

24 Hour Practice Trip

I wanted to share some thoughts on my first trip on my 900 with the actual planning and ride itself. As a background note, I moved up from the 500 to the 900 a couple months ago. I have never really camped in the past, nor gone on a bike trip of over 150 miles. My goal with getting the Vulcan 900 was to be able to do some traveling on the bike, and I would like to go out West this summer, possibly to Yellowstone (I am in Illinois).

As a starting point I felt it would be good to go on an overnight trip in the area to see how I liked it, to learn about planning a trip and to learn what changes I need in supplies or planning. I kept waiting the past couple weeks for decent weather for a Thursday-Friday trip, and last Thursday it was raining in the morning in the north suburbs of Chicago, but by afternoon it appeared I could go. My travel route was to go out to Galena, IL (about 160 miles away) on Thursday, camp out, then do some roads in that area Friday (that I found on motorcycleroads.com). I then would proceed to Savanna, IL, along the Mississippi River, and continue down to Dixon, IL (Ronald Reagan's boyhood hometown). From there, travel up to Rockford via Rt 2, which goes along the Rock River, and then back home. Only travel on the slab would be about 20 minutes. (On a side note, the night before I did the gas gauge fix with a 270 ohm resistor, and it worked like a charm! At half a tank I was at 110 miles, it was consistent up and down the gauge, and even though it does not change the fuel light, it appeared to work better as I have had it on before around 130-140 miles, and I was at about 165 miles and still not on. Really a good mod for me...thanks!).

I packed up the bike which went well, with rain gear in one saddlebag, tools and such in the other saddlebag, a saddleman's seat bag and then my sleeping bag/mat on the luggage rack. I barely had any clothes but already felt like there was a lot....wonder how it will be for a 10 day trip! I was about ready to leave when I realized I didn't do a pre-ride check, especially tires. Luckily, I found that I needed 10 lbs of air in both tires.

There was a rain threat, with it being cloudy and cool (mid 50's), so I wasn't thrilled with that, but the trip to Galena went really well. I made decent time but since I started out later in the day (after 3) I did no side trips. It took about 3 1/2 hours and got to the camp site and set up the tent by 7:30. I rode back into downtown Galena, found a sports bar, plopped down and ate dinner while watching the first period of the Hawks game. I didn't stay for the rest due to wanting to get back to the camp before it was too dark.

Overnight camping was fine....even in low 50's I was comfortable in the tent, which was a concern. Packed up the next morning and was out by 8 am. Checked out US Grant Park in Galena, then went out along Old Stagecoach Rd. A nice ride with some hills and sweeping twisties (especially for Illinois), where I ended up nailing my first wildlife with my bike. A dove flew up and smacked into my windshield. I could only imagine if I didn't have the shield it would have smacked me in the chest or helmet. It was a good experience to hit that and not be rattled and keep total control of the bike. I then proceeded down Scales Mound Rd (another route from the web) and that was enjoyable too. They said you would see deer, and that I did. I continued down to Savanna, IL which goes along the Mississippi River, so there were some bluffs and enjoyable scenery. Grabbed gas...proceeded to Dixon, IL which was more of a open farmland ride.

The day on Friday was beautiful...sunny and low 70's. In Dixon, I checked out Reagan's boyhood home which I actually enjoyed...a good couple side stories about Reagan were told. Ate a late lunch, and then to Rt 2 which goes alongside the Rock River for about 40 miles. This was a great scenic ride. Rode through Castle State Park with some twisties and tree covered rodes. There is a statue of Chief Blackhawk overlooking the river on the opposite bluffs. Would not mind riding that route again. From Rockford I then traveled back rodes to home, and 25 hours and 400 miles after setting out, I was back home.

Overall thoughts.....first, really enjoyed the challenge of getting away. I had no problem riding by myself and having fun. Second, need to get bike ready with more time....not a good idea to rush to get out of town. Third, mustang seat was a great purchase! I had no problem riding multiple hours. Towards the end my shoulder/upper back was getting a little sore (doesn't help I have rotator cuff issues), but I have phatrisers at home that I need to install so that might help. Things I forgot includ a towel for a shower, the ipass for the short time on the slab, kleenex and tp (just in case). Rain gear and my own coat take up extra room...want to get the Joe Rocket alter ego coat that covers a range of weather. I also took two helmets on this trip...a full and a half helmet. I wanted to experience both but for a longer trip I don't think space wise that would be convenient.

Hope you don't mind that this was long....I wanted to share. Any thoughts about traveling on longer trips or tips I would certainly appreciate. I am definitely convinced that I want to go on longer trips. I will post a few pictures too.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Cobra Engine Guard
Mustang Touring Seat with backrest
EKLIPES EK1-110 Chrome USB Charging System
K & N Air Filter
Cobra Chrome Radiator Cover
Cobra Chrome Regulator Cover
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kuryakyn ISO Dually Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Chuckster's Light Bar
Phatrisers
Rivco LED Turn Signal Mirrors
Metzeler ME880 WW 130/90, 170/80 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...37561986940385

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Cobra Engine Guard
Mustang Touring Seat with backrest
EKLIPES EK1-110 Chrome USB Charging System
K & N Air Filter
Cobra Chrome Radiator Cover
Cobra Chrome Regulator Cover
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kuryakyn ISO Dually Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Chuckster's Light Bar
Phatrisers
Rivco LED Turn Signal Mirrors
Metzeler ME880 WW 130/90, 170/80 tires
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 PM

drgck,

Great write up, thanks for sharing. Good idea on the one day trip to iron out the issues etc. My solution has always been to carry the plastic card and buy what I forget, when possible, but that doesn't work all the time...

-Steve
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Great trip summary. Have been wanting to try camping with just the bike. Your pics are wonderful (since I have never seen that part of the country, so green). You'll have to figure out how to carry more clothes for a 10 day trip, but you'll find a way. Did you find anything you packed that you could do without (mainly any camping gear)? That will free up some space. If you have ever back packed, this will give you an idea on what to pack and save space (though my longest was 5 days when I was a kid).

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
You'll have to figure out how to carry more clothes for a 10 day trip, but you'll find a way.
That's an easy one. Pack 3 days worth of clothes plus the ones you start out on (4 days total). On day 4, stop for lunch. There ussualy is a diner near a coin-op Laundry. 35 minutes in the wash and 20 in the dryer while you eat and your back on the road with 3 fresh days worth of clothes. On day 7, rinse and repeat (sorry but had to be said ). This gets you to day 10 and hopefully your house. Cuts your clothing space down to 1/3 that of a different set for each day. In the longer trips I have taken breaking it down like this makes the trip managable.

In addition, pre-planning a town or city to stop in for a laundry visit can also mean ensuring the town has a shop in it. This way if there is some unforseen needed adjustment (cable, oil, belt, tire, etc.) it can be taken care of while part or all of your laundry is being done along with giving you piece of mind along the way.

Just my 2 pennies, ride safe.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Nice write up. Pics are great too. Hey, if you need and idea for more luggage space, check out Whiting57. https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/a...pictureid=2438
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranzaz View Post
That's an easy one. Pack 3 days worth of clothes plus the ones you start out on (4 days total). On day 4, stop for lunch. There ussualy is a diner near a coin-op Laundry. 35 minutes in the wash and 20 in the dryer while you eat and your back on the road with 3 fresh days worth of clothes. On day 7, rinse and repeat (sorry but had to be said ). This gets you to day 10 and hopefully your house. Cuts your clothing space down to 1/3 that of a different set for each day. In the longer trips I have taken breaking it down like this makes the trip managable.

In addition, pre-planning a town or city to stop in for a laundry visit can also mean ensuring the town has a shop in it. This way if there is some unforseen needed adjustment (cable, oil, belt, tire, etc.) it can be taken care of while part or all of your laundry is being done along with giving you piece of mind along the way.

Just my 2 pennies, ride safe.
+1!

And, okay, let's just be honest- you're camping. You won't suddenly kiel over and die if you re-use a T-Shirt once. I'd be inclined to pack several pairs of socks and underwear but still get by on only a few shirts and shorts/jeans. Granted- that depends entirely on the weather. In the middle of a heat wave when you're sweating quite a bit- maybe not.

You can ALSO do laundry on the campsite! Just do some googling. There are lots of products out there, and techniques, for washing your clothes in a river or lake, or just using a couple bottles of water and a bag. Hang to dry- voila!

Another option, which is what the wife and I plan on doing, is a hotel room mid-way through the trip. There are hotels with on-site laundry and even some with the washer/dryer (combo unit) built into the room. You stay in a hotel one night instead of camping, do laundry, get a good shower in (better than a campsite shower or a truck stop!), etc.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM

I am currently riding a 500 and have been looking at the possibility of a 900. The 500 seat is especially tough for the passenger. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM

I love reading things like that. If you are near Northern Iowa on your way out west, you are more than welcome to shower/sleep at my house. PM if you are interested. Safe riding!

'11 Custom SE

V & H Twin Slash Staggerd
V & H Fuelpak
Mustang Seat
Saddlemen Tailbag
Avon Spike Grips
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 AM

Sounds like you're ready to stretch the ride a bit.
Try the Lake Michigan Circle Tour. 1,000 miles and a couple of days. The Michigan portion is particularly scenic. Google "tunnel of trees".

'10 VN900DA
32,000+ miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode