Saddlebags - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Question Saddlebags

Looking for opinions on saddlebag installation. I bought a set of saddlebags. They can be installed thrown over the rear fender, under the seat or, since they have a hard back, could be bolted on. I also have support brackets for the bags. What is your advise on what would be the best way to install the bags and why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 AM

I am getting ready to install Mustang hardbags on my bike using Edge Easybrackets. I chose these because it is quick to remove the bags but they have a key lock to lock them on the bike. When removed the only thing left showing is 2 chrome studs. Check them out at www.easybrackets.com
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Ghost brackets are pretty slick. Easy to take on/off. Pricey but very convenient.

ProdigalFletch
01 Kawi Vulcan 1500 classic
Biker Church of The Heartland RC
Indiana Patriot Guard
VROC ID# 31696

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Top Contributor

I suggest hard mounting the bags you have. Clearcoat is not a hard material and once you throw those bags over the rear fender and ride a few hundred miles, I am betting the fender paint will always be scuffed. Also, throw over bags tend to droop more. With the hard mount set-up, the bags should stay in the proper position better and not tend to look so sloppy. (No offense intended to anyone who has throw-over bags. I just like a more rigid look personally.)

I have the Willie & Max Revolution bags with their universal mounting brackets. They work great. I even added some threaded rod and fasteners that allow me to undo 4 acorn nuts and the bag comes off with ease for cleaning the rear wheel. Also, when I layed it over last Nov. the bag was strong enough to keep the back-end up off the ground. Between the bags and the highway bars, I had very little damage. The bag is scuffed some, but actually still quite usable. Good luck with your project.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 PM

I made my own bracket for the throw over and now they are direct mount. It looks great and it costed only a couple dollars to make it. Free if you got the parts lying around. If you want pictures let me know I will take some next time I go to my shop.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! These comments have touched on some of my concerns. I had heard that using the throw over bags will eventually probably damage the paint. I don't want to do that. I do like the E-Z brackets or other option brackets that lock and remove easily if needed, but I really did not want to spend the bucks right now. So, I'll probably just bolt through the bag to the support brackets for now. The only negative I have with that, is there is no quick removal. The only other option, if using them as throw overs, might be to protect the fender under the bags with some type of material that won't scuff the fender. Then I get the quick and easy removal when desired. All suggestions welcome. Hey Mitchkeller87, yeah send pictures. I'd like to see what you came up with.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 AM

I've currently got some throwovers on the 900, and as soon as I can afford some hard bags, the throwovers are going in the trash. Handy yes, but they have scuffed the paint under the seat, and for the life of me I can't find a decent place to tie the things down with the ties that come with it. Possible I just cheaped out on the bags though and others would be better, either way not too pleased with them.

-2009 Classic
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Top Contributor

I doubt that you will find anything to put under the throw-overs that won't eventually scratch the paint. Even a really soft cloth would do it because the road grime gets every where and acts as a sanding media. Any material held agains the fender will vibrate when riding and with the dust & dirt of riding will eventually scratch the paint.

With that said, you may be able to make your current hard mounts easier to disconnect. I used some threaded rod and a few extra nuts to make it so that I can quickly disconnect the bags. There are basically 4 studs sticking out from the brackets that fit through drilled holes on the back side of the bag. I put acorn nuts on the studs inside the bag and viola! If you have one of those mounts with only the two upper mounting bolts, then you would only have 2 nuts. You could probably even use wing nuts or something for even easier removal. Just a thought.

PS- I know I posted pics of my mounts on the forum somewhere before, but I think it was on someone else's post. You may be able to search the forum history for the pics. I don't have them on this computer any more. Sorry.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:32 PM

So what would be the right saddlebag and brackets for a custom 900 ?

I want slanted ones,no throwovers and no relocation of the tail lamps. Somewhere in the 250 dollars and less price range.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Bags and brackets

I am on the same search, thinking of some large slant bags say 17" long x 10.5" x 6" or so... just curious as to the size of bags you guys have used? Any thoughts you have would be great! Oh by the way this is for a 2010 900 Custom SE.

2016 Indian Dark Horse Chief w/Distressed tan leather
2010 VN 900 Custom SE Tourer
F&S SE Back Rest w/3" extensions
Roadkrome Sturgis Hardbags
Corbin Dual Tourer
Turn Signals w/Smoke Covers
Genmar Risers
Black Mirrors
Black 09 SE Pipes Stage 2 De-baffle
Blacked-Out Handlebar Controls
2008 HD FLH Fairing w/stereo and 6in shield
CC Crash Bar Black
Passenger and driver Floor Boards (Chrome)
Pirelli 200 Rear&90/90 Front

USCG CWO (Ret)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode