This is my wreck - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

This is my wreck

So I bought another insurance wreck, here it is when I trailered it home on Friday

You have to look very carefully to see the damage, a bent floorboard bracket, broken floorboard, broken turn signal, mangled rear brake reservoir bracket, scuffed front fender. Everything I need to fix it is about $400.
The 2008 900 Classic has 2900 miles on it and went for $2,200.

I have already ordered mostly new OEM parts, and found a floorboard bracket on Ebay.

Here's how it looked yesterday...

I've had my eye on these Vulcans for a few years, and this one popped up at the insurance auction...
I have to get it retitled and see how I like it. Up and down the driveway is just not enough of an impression!

And I read all about the goofy gas gage and the fried stators (thanks to all who came before me).

Is there anything else I should look out for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
So I bought another insurance wreck, here it is when I trailered it home on Friday

You have to look very carefully to see the damage, a bent floorboard bracket, broken floorboard, broken turn signal, mangled rear brake reservoir bracket, scuffed front fender. Everything I need to fix it is about $400.
The 2008 900 Classic has 2900 miles on it and went for $2,200.

I have already ordered mostly new OEM parts, and found a floorboard bracket on Ebay.

Here's how it looked yesterday...

I've had my eye on these Vulcans for a few years, and this one popped up at the insurance auction...
I have to get it retitled and see how I like it. Up and down the driveway is just not enough of an impression!

And I read all about the goofy gas gage and the fried stators (thanks to all who came before me).

Is there anything else I should look out for?
Yeah. You should look out for getting a non removable grin on your face once you get it out on the road......
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mr. dude,
Yeah, I'm looking foward to getting it fixed, retitled and on the road.
Actually, nearly 6 years ago I saw a Vulcan (don't know what size, model) in my driveway. It belonged to a guy looking at the jeep my nephew was selling. The guy never bought the jeep, but we talked about his Vulcan for a long time. It looked to me like a restored Indian,,,I was shocked and impressed when I found out it was newer, a Kawasaki, and it was liquid cooled. It sat there idling for 30 minutes while we chatted, and he rode away without so much as a sputter.
I immediately ran inside and studied these unknown Vulcan things...eventually, I stumbled on this one.
So yeah, it's been a long time comin'

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

OK, my S-I-L submitted the application for title inspection to NYS yesterday, now I wait.
With NYS, you never know, they lost paperwork once, took 6 months to get an inspection.

For those of you that don't know, here in NYS, a totaled vehicle is issued an MV 907A certificate. that certificate proves ownership...to get a 907A vehicle back on the road it must be repaired and inspected, and retitled. Mostly, the inspectors are looking to see that the vehicle has been properly repaired and contains no stolen parts. On cars and trucks, they even remove trim and body panels to search for VIN tags. Once a vehicle passes this inspection, it is issued a salvage title. After that, it's the same as any vehicle, get it safety inspected, insured, and registered like anything else.
Of course, that title is forever branded as a salvage vehicle, which reduces its value on the open market, but has no affect on the way it drives, rides or pads my wallet!

And I wait also for the parts that I ordered from Kawasaki Parts House (Babbitts Online)on Friday.
Does anyone here have experience with them? What is their typical delivery...I chose standard ground shipping.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
OK, my S-I-L submitted the application for title inspection to NYS yesterday, now I wait.
With NYS, you never know, they lost paperwork once, took 6 months to get an inspection.

For those of you that don't know, here in NYS, a totaled vehicle is issued an MV 907A certificate. that certificate proves ownership...to get a 907A vehicle back on the road it must be repaired and inspected, and retitled. Mostly, the inspectors are looking to see that the vehicle has been properly repaired and contains no stolen parts. On cars and trucks, they even remove trim and body panels to search for VIN tags. Once a vehicle passes this inspection, it is issued a salvage title. After that, it's the same as any vehicle, get it safety inspected, insured, and registered like anything else.
Of course, that title is forever branded as a salvage vehicle, which reduces its value on the open market, but has no affect on the way it drives, rides or pads my wallet!

And I wait also for the parts that I ordered from Kawasaki Parts House (Babbitts Online)on Friday.
Does anyone here have experience with them? What is their typical delivery...I chose standard ground shipping.

I don't have experience with them, but I did just buy some parts for my wifes bike from CheapCycleParts.com. Cheap, Honda OEM, and got them about 5 days after clicking 'buy'! I'd use them again.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess Babbitt's Online Kawasaki parts is OK...I just received UPS tracking notice. Expected delivery is 6-13-13, not bad considering I ordered the parts on 6-7-13 at 9:00 PM.
Should have the bike all new looking by this time next week!!
And I wait again...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 AM
Top Contributor

A restored Indian might look like this.........

custom made fender for the Vulcan 900, fiberglass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbara's new fender 001.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	33649  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark edward marchiafava View Post
custom made fender for the Vulcan 900, fiberglass
That's pretty much how that dude's bike looked...maybe it's the whitewall tires, maybe that skirted front fender, whatever, it really caught my eye!!

Nice looking bike, Mr. Marchiafava...
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Well, guys, I got the floorboard bracket today from the Ebay seller...I was pretty excited to run out to the garage after dinner to install it. Simple bolt in part swap, right?
Well, nor quite. After bolting on the replacement bracket, I reinstalled the broken floorboard, just to check clearances. There was no clearance!!! I couldn't even fit the pivot pin all the way though, the floorboard was hitting the pipes.
Looking closely, I saw that the welded on mounts for the floorboard bracket were bent. After trying to straighten them in place, I decided to remove that section of frame, to make it easier to work on. It was then that I saw a kink in that removable frame piece!!
A quick trip to work, and the frame piece was as straight as new. But I had a bear of a time getting all the various bolts and brackets to line up...eventually, after 3 hours or so, I was finished with my simple "bolt on" part replacement. Phew.

Tomorrow the replacement fender, turn signal, and floorboards should arrive.
I''ll get some photos too, if anyone is interested.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Just added a link to my photos, for anyone who cares.
I might be into different stuff than some of you...enjoy!

stripperguy's photos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode