LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Mods for my soon to be delivered SE

Okay, it should be arriving sometime this month and I'd like
to plan some mods before she gets here, for both safety
and utility. I don't plan a seat or pipe replacement, or windshield,
at least just yet.

So far this is what I got:

1. Kawi K32000-045B Gloss black engine guard.
2. Wagner BP1210-H4 replacement headlight bulb
3. Small bag, either handlebar or swingarm mounted?

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Top Contributor

The best things I put on my bike were the engine guard, windshield and driving lights.

Being that you are getting an SE, you will probably want a diffferent type of lights than I used. But the night vision thing is really important. I don't know how much the H4 bulb helps, but I found that having two extra aim-able lights made a huge difference in my ability to see through corners in the dark.

I know that you say you don't want a windshield and I understand how important looks are to a bike. Especially one like the SE. However, for long rides, I really don't see how anyone can live without it. Especially if you have a half helmet. Without a shield, those little brain buckets will darn near pull your head off from the wind. Sort of like attaching a small parachute under your chin while driving 60mph. With full-face it isn't as bad. You just get tired from the wind hitting your chest and stretching your arms out.

Good luck with all your mods. Keep the shiny side up.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Replacement headlight would be more for daytime running, as I don't
expect to do a lot at night. I'd go for a windshield if I could find a cheaper one that has some style, maybe a cafe type but taller.

Oh I forgot one, a replacement, louder horn.

thanks for the tips.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM

A replacement horn for sure. And the place to get it is Bikers Highway here online. The Wolo Badboy and the Stebel are the exact same horns, but make sure you get the pre-wired relay and wiring for $20 cause it is $$$ well spent. So many guys like me are lost when it comes to wiring, so if I can get something "STUPID PROOF", I will go that route. You then just have to make up your own bracket. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyg123 View Post
Replacement headlight would be more for daytime running, as I don't
expect to do a lot at night. I'd go for a windshield if I could find a cheaper one that has some style, maybe a cafe type but taller.

Oh I forgot one, a replacement, louder horn.

thanks for the tips.

"KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN AND BE SAFE"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pasnbyu

Pearl City Life Riders RC
'11 Voyager aka "THE UNIT"
Utopia Backrest
Mirror Extensions
Kury Offset Pegs
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 AM

Timmy,
Aside from the buffeting without a windshield, cleaning the bugs off your glasses or goggles and out of your mouth is really a pain. I have a Memphis Fats shield with the quick release feature and when I return from most rides, I simply take it off and put it in the shower for a quick rinse. Of course a hose works but in my case the shower is convenient. The point is that I always have a load of bugs on the shield that are not on me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 PM

A scootworks rear pulley is a must IMHO. These bikes need a sixth gear sooo bad it hurts. The pulley helps a lot and is hardly noticeable on the low end.
Congrats on the new bike.

09 VN 900 SE
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHawk View Post
A scootworks rear pulley is a must IMHO. These bikes need a sixth gear sooo bad it hurts. The pulley helps a lot and is hardly noticeable on the low end.
Congrats on the new bike.
I honestly didn't feel much difference other than a little lower RPM's at higher speeds, the pull felt the same in all 5 gears.

As for the bug issue, am I the only one that wears a full-face? I just like the idea that, if I low-side, I'll be able to at least eat solid foods with my in-tact chin while letting my broken leg heal.

I do recommend a new horn, the Vulcan may look mean, but it has the same horn as a GZ250 or Nighthawk 125. But I drive like a mid-town New York taxi cab, where I lay on the horn for just about anything stupid that occurs within earshot (involving cars, obviously), so I probably should not get one for myself.

Windshields are all about preference. I prefer the stock look of a Custom, but a Classic looks nice with a shield.

One of the biggest necessities are bags. I usually ride with a backpack but sometimes I just want a little space to hold my iPhone, wallet, sunglasses, maybe a book, etc (I don't hold shit in my pants pockets because I have had stuff fall out before), and I find a backpack for such meager items is cumbersome.

Though engine guards are practical and functional, I absolutely hate the look of them so as with the windshield, that is absolutely preference based.

A lowering kit and a fatter rear tire are aesthetic modifications that I love the look of, and it doesn't reduce maneuverability of the bike either.

If you believe in "hear me, see me", then some straight pipes would do you good, though they may get you in trouble with the noise police.

Remove the Caution stick from under the gas cap, it looks corny!

Kawa-knockies 'til I die.
'06 Murdered-out ZX-6
'07 Plasma Blue 650R
'08 Passion Red VN900C
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Top Contributor

I'll say the best mod you can do is to replace the pipes so you can be heard on the freeway then the seat and then everything else.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:20 PM
KWD

I just purchased a Memphis alley cat with quick release. I have an SE as well and love the clean look of the bike. the shield will be strictly for weekend or all day rides. I would also like a luggage rack but haven't seen one thats just a luggage rack and doesn't require a backrest, which kills the flow lines on the bike. The main addition which is out of my price range for the moment is a mustang seat. Probably a day tripper again to retain the clean look of the bike.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Hey timmyg123 I have a saddleman solo seat for sale in MINT condition. Way better than the stock seat. Let me know if you are interested. Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode