Sputtering - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Sputtering

Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I bought an 09 custom last week and boy am I excited to get out and ride this thing.

Quick question though, I am getting a little bit of sputtering/popping/backfiring when I am decelerating. Is this normal for these bikes? Besides that the thing runs great and idles great.

Guy I bought it from rode it about 50 miles over the past 2 years so I was thinking it might be from lack of riding. I am about to run seafoam through the gas on my next tank to clean stuff out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 AM

I would try replacing the exhaust gaskets. They're about $6 a pair from the dealer and easy to change. An exhaust leak at the heads could cause the decel popping.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

How many Miles total on the bike? with only 50 miles over 2 years (reportedly) first thing I would have done is put it in for the 15K check. Have it torn down and have everything checked and all fluids changed. That low amount of use can lead to dried out gaskets and a whole host of other problems that can prematurely kill any bike. Just a suggestion.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:31 AM

OTOH, there may not be a thing wrong with it. It's possible that the previous owner de-baffled the mufflers and that the noise you are hearing on deceleration is simply the typical sound that de-baffled mufflers produce on deceleration.

If it runs good on acceleration and at constant speed, and it idles good, then I tend to think there's nothing wrong with the running of the bike.

As others have suggested though, it might be a good idea to change the fluids in the bike.

My Current Rides
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 AM

Did the PO do anything to the stock pipes, like drill them out or gut them entirely? If so that's why it's popping on deceleration. Don't do anything drastic, do the Seafoam and see how it goes from there. (Looks like I was two minutes later than Chas on the pipes!)

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol

Last edited by MINI NSX; 06-07-2013 at 10:35 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

53xx miles. Cheap is good, I will definitely try the exhaust gaskets first. The tear down sounds like big money. Guy said he would start it and let it run every so often. Bike has stock exhaust, not sure if it is debaffled or not
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschattke View Post
53xx miles. Cheap is good, I will definitely try the exhaust gaskets first. The tear down sounds like big money. Guy said he would start it and let it run every so often. Bike has stock exhaust, not sure if it is debaffled or not
Just get down on the floor/ground and look up inside the mufflers. Most of the de-baffling jobs I've seen are pretty obvious. If you see jagged edges and rough cuts and the like, then it has likely been de-baffled.

Also, the sound should tell you. Most stock exhausts don't sound very loud (or very good) unless or until you're really reving the engine hard. If yours sounds like a "real" motorcycle with just slight to moderate throttle, then likely it has been de-baffled.

My Current Rides
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschattke View Post
Change oil and filter, change brake fluid front and rear and change coolant. Inspect spark plugs and clean if necessary. Tighten battery connections. Open air cleaner to be sure the mice didn't build a nest in there. Since you will have the air cleaner open, remove it completely from the intake body and plug the hose going up to the secondary air solenoid valve. There's plenty of posts here about PAIR removal and plugging (marbling) to stop decel popping.

Last edited by Sojourner; 06-08-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode