2009 ECU reflash - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

2009 ECU reflash

I have an aftermarket exhaust on my bike and I bought a new intake today. Is it really necessary to reflash the ECU or not. Also are most dealers able to do it for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I don't believe that we have reached the age where our ECU's can be re-mapped (re flashed) without supporting hardware, such as a Power Commander. I bought a Dobeck Fuel Processor that has a Plug n Play set-up. It adds to the fuel curve that the ECU is set at the factory. You may want to investigate through Google search on these different fuel delivery systems.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Also how can you tell if your bike is running to lean or rich

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Well, with factory ECU, due to Emission Control, the mapping is on the lean side. Adding a Fuel Processor and following the set up directions can only rich en up the mix. Your Spark Plugs are an indicator, smoke out the exhaust is a too rich mix, and deacceration popping is a too lean mix. To get optimum mix you can take and have your bike Dyno'd where an experienced Technician will adjust your Fuel Processor according to performance curves and good ear. I choose to adjust my Dolbeck myself by doing "roll on's" (#2 pot) in 5th gear (40 mph to 70 mph) till there was no hesitation on throttle response. Keep researching and good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Top Contributor

Is recomended to add a fuel processor after adding a aftermarket intake. You could get away if you only had the pipes but now with both is a must. I personally recomend the Power Comander because you can add and subtract fuel/air. With the cobra and dobeck you can only add, the PCIII is a bit more pricy but well worth it. I started with the Cobra 2000R and then upgraded to the PCIII and much happier with it so I sold the Cobra. Most of these are bike specific so is just plug and play so very easy to install. The PCIII also has maps available so you just don't guess on your settings. Either way what ever brand you like the most is recomended to have one. They also make another one that's call fuel pak but no maps available unles you have their brand of pipes.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode