Popping on deceleration.. Exhaust leak? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Popping on deceleration.. Exhaust leak?

Hey everyone,

I ride an 08 Vulcan 900 custom and recently installed Cobra speedster shorts, Barons BAK, and fi2000r. I immediately noticed some popping on deceleration. Since then I have marbled the reed valves and tweaked my fi2000 settings which has reduced the popping a good bit. I know that I may not be able to completely eliminate popping, but I would like to have less than I do now.

The only other thing I can think of is a possible exhaust leak at the head pipe. I did use new crush gaskets when I installed the pipes. I have read where a lot of people say that Harley Davidson gaskets are thicker/better. Can anyone suggest any other ideas before I go through the trouble of re-seating the exhaust pipes? Also does anyone have the part # for the correct Harley gaskets that fit the VN900?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 PM

i had the same issue with my new pipes........in a garage, get one of those long grill lighters and with the bike running, hold the flame around the pipes at the heads briefly - if the flame pulsates or goes out you have a leak. try loosening the nuts, wiggling the pipes then re-torquing them.

Darkside 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom debadged
Metallic Diablo Black
HK 2 into 1 Sideburner
Baron's BAK
Cobra fi2000r EFI Tuner
Cobra Short Sissybar
Scootworks Front Pulley
GenMar Risers
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron5140 View Post
i had the same issue with my new pipes........in a garage, get one of those long grill lighters and with the bike running, hold the flame around the pipes at the heads briefly - if the flame pulsates or goes out you have a leak. try loosening the nuts, wiggling the pipes then re-torquing them.
That's a good idea.. I'll give that a shot. I'm not sure if this is tied in to the same problem but I've also noticed that my bike seems to idle slightly higher after I've ridden it for a mile or two than it does before I ride it (this is of course after it idles down from choke).

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Using Your Marbles

You can use a couple of marbles to block the air injection hoses located at the very front of the front rocker cover and the very rear of the rear rocker cover to help reduce or even eliminate the "popping" heard on decelleration.

If you look from the right side of the bike you will see a hose coming out of the rocker at the locations described above. Remove the hose (held in place with a spring clamp) shove a regular marble up the hose far enough so you can clamp the hose back on the tube.

Doing this cuts off the air injection to help burn off unburnt fuel. If you do not do this you may get lots of poping on decel normally not heard because of the stock mufflers (though some of us here it even with stockers). Some with newer models (2008 and up) have said this did not work as well or possibly not at all on their bikes.
Quoted from VN2000.com

2005 V2K limited
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

sounds like running lean

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Top Contributor

Bump up the idle speed a tad and see if that helps.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 PM

How long into rides does it pop on decel? Mine popes within the first 10 minutes or so, but then it goes away.

Kawa-knockies 'til I die.
'06 Murdered-out ZX-6
'07 Plasma Blue 650R
'08 Passion Red VN900C
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Top Contributor

So far I haven't seen a VN900 that does not pop after adding new pipes. Are there any without this issue after installing new pipes?

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM

i have HK 2 into 1 Sideburner pipes and after marbling and fixing my leaks at the heads, i have no popping on decel.....will be soon installing a BAK and fi2000r, will let you guys know if it starts popping or not....

Darkside 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom debadged
Metallic Diablo Black
HK 2 into 1 Sideburner
Baron's BAK
Cobra fi2000r EFI Tuner
Cobra Short Sissybar
Scootworks Front Pulley
GenMar Risers
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 PM

i have a mod air filter and hard krome exaust and just installed new fi2000 and know my fuel injection light has come on and stays on how do i fix that or is it normal also what is the best setting for this bike at this setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode