Air Filter/Cleaners - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Air Filter/Cleaners

I am looking into upgrading my stock air filter/cleaner (08' 900 Custom). I have ordered and recieved a Fi200R fuel pcosessor, got the pipes picked out (Cobra Draggsters) so the last thing, for now anyway, will be the air cleaner/filter, but I really don't know what direction to go. Any suggestions on brand/type? Also I have been told before that on a bike the size of the 900 a big high flow air cleaner really will not add a significant amount of performance. Any truth to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:19 PM

I also would like to know if upgrading the intake would help with my 900.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbow View Post
I am looking into upgrading my stock air filter/cleaner (08' 900 Custom). I have ordered and recieved a Fi200R fuel pcosessor, got the pipes picked out (Cobra Draggsters) so the last thing, for now anyway, will be the air cleaner/filter, but I really don't know what direction to go. Any suggestions on brand/type? Also I have been told before that on a bike the size of the 900 a big high flow air cleaner really will not add a significant amount of performance. Any truth to this?
I believe there has been a recent thread on the topic. Try searching "air kit", "arlenness, barons, etc to see what hits you get. But, I have an ArlenNess Big Sucker.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic

Last edited by bosco; 06-04-2013 at 05:10 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
But, I have an ArlenNess Big Sucker.
Do you notice any improvement in your performance? I am looking more for a performance boost over something that looks cool.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Got both, performance and the old school look I wanted. But, the performance came with the change of the big 3 (exhaust, intake, fuel mgmt.). I also removed the secondary butterflies to improve throttle response (and it did, no hesitation). What ever model intake you choose will improve performance in combination with the exhaust & fuel mgmt. (which sounds like you already have received.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 PM

I have Dragsters, they sound freakin great. Nice and loud, and a quick throttle gives you a nice growl that'll let the family know you're about 3 blocks from home. You'll like them on your 900. Mine backfire every now and then, especially in lower gears.

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom - black and debadged
Cobra dragster pipes
Kaw sissy bar
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 PM

I went the home brew route. I made my intake with some parts from an auto parts store. I used the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 1002. link They make other shapes as well but I like this one. You do have to make a custom plate to mount this thing to, but it is not too hard. You could use almost any air intake for a car as long as you can adapt it to fit.

I went with the V&H Twin Slash Staggereds. They are loud as hell link

Went with the Cobra Fi200R also. Works great.

Optional Stuff
Remove the secondary butterflies
Easiest mod you can do. Just unscrew them and take them out.

Remove the Air Bypass valve
I went to my local auto parts store and bought this package of bypass caps. You only need 2x 5/8in. caps for this but I could only find the assorted pack.

Then you just take the the tube off of each cylinder head and replace it with a vacuum cap and appropriate sized hose clamp.

Then remove the electronic valve that all that tubing is going to. It is under the tank. You just pull it towards the front of the bike and it slips off of a peg. Then unplug the valve.

Snip the plug off. These are the 2 wires that need a 220 ohm 1 watt resistor soldered between them. Make sure you use heat shrink or tape around the bare wire to keep it from shorting out. Then tuck it under the tank behind the spedo.

So end result.... My bike is fast. Well fast for a 900 V twin. It's not going to beat out a Ninja ZX-10 or anything like that, but I have given a few punks on sport bikes a hell of a surprise going from light to light. It wasn't slow to begin with either. Now it is just faster Fast enough for me at least. Well worth all the mods I made to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode