900 jake brake possible - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
900 jake brake possible

So on a charity ride this weekend I heard a Harley that had a jake brake kit installed on it. I never got a chance to ask how he did it. I do know that it was a newer fuel injected Harley. Does anyone know if it can be done or how to put a jake brake on a 900 vulcan. I have a powerpro auto tuner. Anyway I could put a switch to the ground to shut off the injectors or would this harm the tuner?

When in trouble, when in doubt, hit the trottle scream and shout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Top Contributor

Seems to me (if there is such a thing, never seen one) that it is just a do-dad that will mess up on your and cause more headache than what it is worth. Motorcycles hold back so well anyway why add something to it.

IMHO it sounds pointless to me.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Seems all it would take is a relay wired into the fuel pump circuit to cut power by a switch on the handle bars. Perhaps one that is spring loaded that you have to hold in to cut power. Should work on any FI vehicle. Would need a normally closed relay that opens when power is applied by the switch.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM

I would be concerned about rear wheel lock up.

2006 VN2000 Classic Lt
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Why not just hit the kill switch?

I'm not sure why you'd want to though. A jake brake OR use the kill switch. There's PLENTY of decelerating power on these 900's, you could probably lock the rear up just by downshifting and dropping the clutch! The REASON for a jake brake is that 18-wheelers are heavy and their diesel engines don't provide much engine braking. (And riding the brakes can cause the brakes to overheat or catch fire!) We have neither of those problems, our bikes are light, and the engines brake excellently.

So; guess I'm confused but, why?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the responses. I'm not looking at doing it for more braking power, I agree the 9s have plenty of engine brake. It turned a lot of heads and I was more interested in it for the uniqueness not as a daily use. I think a to shut down the injectors is the way to go, does anyone know where I could source a wiring diagram?

When in trouble, when in doubt, hit the trottle scream and shout.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
My Clymer manual for my 800 has the wiring diagrams in the very back. If you plan to do any of your own maitenance, highly suggest you get a manual. Am sure they all have wiring diagrams.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I think a to shut down the injectors is the way to go, does anyone know where I could source a wiring diagram?
Doing something like that would certainly turn on the FI light and set a code!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:28 AM

A truckers opinion, I think someone is pulling your leg. No company is going to go through the trouble of creating an engine brake for a bike.

Jake brake is a name brand but the general term is engine brake. It works by closing off the valves during deceleration to provide more back pressure. So we're talking about extra springs and mechanical connections and relays to turn them on an off, and connections to the throttle, clutch and brake to ensure it only comes on when desired. They are useless at low rpms and only become really effective at 1700 rpm and up on a 6 cylinder diesel engine. Oh and they usually have multiple position selectors so you can choose to operate only 2,4 or all 6 cylinders or sometimes just 3 or 6.

I'm guessing what you heard on the HD was some kind of exhaust sound that isn't normal and the guy had some fun with you saying he had a jake brake. Ask him to pop the valve covers off so you can take pictures and compare them to factory valves, it should look very different from factory with the extra stuff on them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Top Contributor

Vrooooom-brr, vrooooooom-brr, vrooooooooom-brr, vroooooooooooom-brr, vroooooooooooooooooom-brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, vro-brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode