Memphis Shades Batwing - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Memphis Shades Batwing

I noticed a metric cruiser with a Memphis Shades Batwing fairing and i must admit it looked pretty good. I have seen photos of the Memphis Shades on a Vulcan 900 LT but would prefer to see one on a bike rather than a photo. Does anyone have one installed on a Vulcan 900 LT that could comment on wind protection, overall look etc....Would you recommend purchasing one ? Or are there any photos out there that you could post for me to see. I think a batwing style fairing is better suited to a bike that has hardbags...but that's just my opinion. Any info would be appreciated....thanks.

2006 Vulcan 900
1996 Honda VFR 750
1985 Honda Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Some shots of my batwing!! This thing is shaping up to be a great ride!! LOVE MY 9er!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020 (640x480).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	32489   Click image for larger version

Name:	027 (640x477).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	32497   Click image for larger version

Name:	038 (640x471).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	32505  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 AM

What height windshield and how is wind protection/buffeting/updraft with the lowers and batwing deflectors?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodi View Post
I have seen photos of the Memphis Shades on a Vulcan 900 LT but would prefer to see one on a bike rather than a photo. Does anyone have one installed on a Vulcan 900 LT that could comment on wind protection, overall look etc....Would you recommend purchasing one ? Or are there any photos out there that you could post for me to see. I think a batwing style fairing is better suited to a bike that has hardbags...but that's just my opinion. Any info would be appreciated....thanks.
Several of us here have them on our bikes. The fairing, windshield, and mounting hardware is probably around $400. Not everybody likes them but I'm a big fan. I only take it off when I'm not going far and it's really hot/humid.

Any specific pictures you want to see? I have or can take pictures from just about any angle.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I like the Memphis Shades batwing. I've been hem/hawing about a fairing for a good year. I really wanted a stereo fairing but none of them seem to be of decent quality, they are kind of expensive, I just don't know. So there's the memphis shades fairing, they DO have a speaker get-up for it but it's awfully expensive and pretty crummy, from what I've heard. However, speakers aside, I think the Memphis-Shades route is the one I'm going to take. Unless I find one I like more!

Or I may hem/haw some more about it, who knows!

When figuring cost, keep in mind they only come black (Correct? At least that's all I've seen). So unless your bike is black, figure on adding a couple hundred more to the cost to color match. Although I have black accessories on my bike and they don't look bad. EVENTUALLY they will be color-matched, but in the case of both the hard bags and the harley-trunk I got good deals from forum members that I didn't want to pass up, and why buy it and not use it? But I still have other things I'd like to have for the bike before I invest on painting those parts (but it eventually will happen).

This summers project is a trailer hitch and trailer for some motorcycle camping next year! You can carry a whole lot more in a little cargo trailer!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthames2000 View Post
What height windshield and how is wind protection/buffeting/updraft with the lowers and batwing deflectors?
That's the 12" windshield. I'm 6'3" and it's perfect for me. MUCH BETTER wind protection than the LT shield. With the lowers and deflectors it's the ultimate ride!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM

anyone know by chance if the trigger mount kit for the memphis shades fat and the bat wing fairing are the same.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Batwing Fairing

Thanks to those of you who replied to the thread....great to know there is lots of support on the Vulcan Forums....
Tang56....great looking bike...was wondering about the hard bags as well....where are they from ? They look awesome. Also , I am 5'4" inches tall , what size windshield would you recommend.
Graybush...regarding pictures ...any photos would be appreciated of the batwing Fairing......the more info and photos I see will probably give me the the go ahead to purchase the batwing fairing. Lastly would the Batwing fairing be more suitable to longer trips than the stock LT fairing.....it would be nice to use both when i want to mix things up and change the look ....thanks again.

2006 Vulcan 900
1996 Honda VFR 750
1985 Honda Elite
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW0378 View Post
anyone know by chance if the trigger mount kit for the memphis shades fat and the bat wing fairing are the same.
The mounting that's on the triple tree is the same (swapped out my speed demon windshield for the batwing). What's different will be the plates that mount to the windshield or batwing.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Ok so I will still need to order the mounting kit when I finally pull the trigger. Was hoping not too of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode