Dealership Tire Install - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Dealership Tire Install

Just curious if anyone here works at a dealership. I contacted mine for a price on Bridgestone Exedra tires and the price to install them. They came back with a quote of $533 (tires, mount, balance, tax etc...) I had a price in my mind of what it should cost which is around $350. I can buy the tires on-line for just a bit over $200.

Anyway just ranting. I want to take my bike to them, but they make it nearly impossible for me to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Top Contributor

dealers around my area charge about 40- 50 dollars to remove rear wheel replace tire and install wheel , front are cheaper and if you buy tires from them they give somewhat a break

I always said the dealer is not your friend they are there to get as much money from you as you allow them to, and to sell you parts and service that you do not need

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Top Contributor

If you can, buy the tools to do it your self, you will save enough money to pay for the tools in a couple tire changes just in savings. For $500-$600 you can get a manual changer and $60-$100 on a jack. You got it made if you have the time and space to do it. Or you can go the cheaper route of $20-$30 on tire irons and grunt the tire on and off, if you are careful and use guards you wont scratch your rims. That is what I do.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Shop around. Smaller places especially. There are some GoldWing riders in the group I ride with who ride 2 and a half hours to get tires; they usually make a day of it- they all ride up there, whoever needs tires gets tires, and they go eat or whatever. That's because it's the cheapest place they've found and it's well worth the 2 and a half hour ride! (I've seen some places charge $350 just to change a rear tire; and that's WITHOUT the price of the tire. GoldWings are pricey to work on. I think at this place they get the tires changed, mounted, and balanced, INCLUDING the tire, for around $300.. on a GoldWing!)

In my case, there's a dealer out of town a ways- and I live out of town a ways, it happens to be the closest one to me! It's one of those 'dealers' with like 6 bikes in the showroom but a huge service department. I can get tires put on there for $50 if it's on the bike, $25 if it's off the bike. That's IF I buy the tire elsewhere. It's only $25 if I buy the tire from them (on the bike). Rear tires I think are like $75 or $45 if you buy from them, something like that.

The cheapest way is always to remove the wheel yourself and take it in. Otherwise, just shop around; especially smaller shops. The dealer I bought my bike from I'd NEVER take my bike to for service; they are outrageously expensive. But they are a huge dealer with a big marketing budget; so they get enough exposure to draw in folks willing to pay those prices. That's fine; good for them! But I'll spend a few minutes calling around to find that there are other places that do a great job at a much fairer price.

Working on a motorcycle, though, is always going to cost more than a car. A motorcycle shop will NEVER have the volume of customers a car shop will have. That's why we don't have any quick-oil-change or tire-and-lube places for motorcycles. That's also why it costs more. A tire-and-lube place can specialize their business, do it super quickly, and go through a huge volume of cars which is why they can afford to sell you the tires and mount/balance them for free or cheap. The MC dealers can't sustain a business like that!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Top Contributor

I just got tires (front and back; Pirelli Route 66's) put on at a local shop. The cost, taxes, Ontario tire stewardship fee, and installation included - $399. (Canadian). This was me dropping my bike off to them. Turnaround time was about 2-3 days (including them ordering the tires).

I got quotes form 5 other places. This was the cheapest (all for the same tires) by almost $160.

Most places around here charge between $125 and $150 (or more) to change the tires, plus the cost of the tires themselves. Plus tax, plus the aforementioned stewardship fee (for disposal of the tires). You can get to down to about $50/tire if you bring them in off the bike.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I've found a place to do it cheaper. and by cheaper I mean about $200 cheaper. They are a preferred installer for motorcycle superstore. They charge $30 per wheel to install and I can ship directly to them.

I am due for maintenance so I wanted to go to the dealer for the maintenance and the tires but it's just too much money.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemantle View Post
I've found a place to do it cheaper. and by cheaper I mean about $200 cheaper. They are a preferred installer for motorcycle superstore. They charge $30 per wheel to install and I can ship directly to them.
better double check to see if that is a on the bike price or a you remove the wheel yourself price ...

VN 900 custom "Cheapo-Glide"
Reckless (clone of) fairing
Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemantle View Post
Just curious if anyone here works at a dealership. I contacted mine for a price on Bridgestone Exedra tires and the price to install them. They came back with a quote of $533 (tires, mount, balance, tax etc...) I had a price in my mind of what it should cost which is around $350. I can buy the tires on-line for just a bit over $200.

Anyway just ranting. I want to take my bike to them, but they make it nearly impossible for me to.
My dealer charges $20.00 to change my tire if I take it to him. $100.00 bucks if he takes it off the bike. Your guy is definately overcharging.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Dealer charges $65 per tire to install. It's the tire prices that are driving the price. They are crazy high. I found another guy that will do it $60 per tire if I buy my own tires and bring them to him. Motorcycle Super Store has some really good tire prices at the moment so ill probably go that route. Looking at the Pirelli MT 66 or the Michelin Commander.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 AM

Garage
Just did mine last week, my favorite small shop charged me $136 to install both.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode