Clicking Sound During Idle.. Reed Valve? Help please - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Clicking Sound During Idle.. Reed Valve? Help please

Whats up guys! I have been reading this forum for a long time and I have learned so much from it, but this is actually my first post.

I have a 08 Vulcan 900 and recently installed Cobra speedster shorts, fi2000, and Barons BAK. I installed the pipes and fuel controller a couple weeks before I installed the new air cleaner. Here is my question:

Ever since I installed the Barons air cleaner, I have noticed a random clicking sound while the bike is idling. The sound seems to be coming from somewhere within the reed valve assembly.. maybe the vacuum switching valve? It is the same click that you hear when you release the throttle. I know it is normal to hear it when releasing the throttle, but should I be hearing it during idle with no throttle? I guess it could have been there before, but I just really noticed it after BAK install. If anyone could shed some light on this I would much appreciate it!

On a side note, I am planning to "marble" the bike to reduce/eliminate popping on deceleration... will doing this eliminate the reed valve and the clicking sound?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Marbling is eliminating the Clean Air Systems vacuum valve and reeds. The clicking may be the idle solenoids in the right air box. I don't believe the reed valves click, but I may be mistaken.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Top Contributor

Hi......Yes that is normal.......That is the air injection valves 4 the fuel injection system....On the right side....This sound becomes more noticeable after u install the BAK......Not 2 worry........hope this helps.....Terry.......

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys..

One other question... When I do marble the reed valve system, will that eliminate the clicking sound? I guess in the grande scheme it really doesnt matter, I am just curious. I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff, so I'm just learning as I go.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Top Contributor

Hi.....not sure if u saw this it may help......www.gadgetjq.com/smogstuffremove.htm .......Terry.....

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazlives2ride View Post
Hi.....not sure if u saw this it may help......www.gadgetjq.com/smogstuffremove.htm .......Terry.....
Wow, that is a very informative webpage.. Thanks for the link.

So let me make sure I have this correct... on the 900 all I would need to do is remove the hose from the back of the air cleaner backing plate that leads to the reed valve assembly, put a marble in it, and reattach the hose. Is it that simple or am I missing something?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:36 AM

nope.that's about it.......simple is as simple does

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
De-baffled
Gauge fixed
Mustang Seat
Memphis Shades Batwing
Passenger floorboards
Trunk and luggage rack
Hard bags with racks
Chrome side covers
Wide blade levers (love 'em)
3 1/2 inch Risers
2004 VN750
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
On my bike (1500) you don't have to remove the hose...just loosen the right solenoid (or valve) and move it to the side and plug up the hose that protrudes through the upper rear of the assembly. This will not eliminate the clicking. If you go to an auto store they have an assortment of vacuum hose plugs.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Top Contributor

I have the BAK and don't have a clicking at idle. If you're using 20-50 oil that could be the cases. I once did and went back to 10-40 for that same reason. The BAK does inclease the engine noise but usually at high speeds. I do recomend to marble the bike. I did on mine and it actually sounds better after you marble it.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode