Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnVulcanGuy View Post
Watch the video and judge for yourself.

Click Here
CdnVulcanGuy,

I watched your video, But really couldn't get a good look at the baffles. You maybe be able to packed the baffle with with glass/ceramic pack material that we use on our exhuast systems. If you can remove the baffles and send me some pictures I may be able to help you. If there are designed like I think they are, I will send you a sample of the material to try. Send me the pictures.

Doug
Fuggin Fabrication
480/813-4474
[email protected]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Just watched you video, and not much difference at all. Certainly not any 6 to 12 db. Maybe 1 db. Maybe not even that.

I may be replacing my stock units soon. PM on the way.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota

Last edited by Shiloh; 02-24-2010 at 06:08 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
CDN..Nice job on the video...too bad you didn't have A DB meter. I agree, some of the bark was deadened, but over all you're right not much change. I LIKE EM!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:32 PM

"6 - 12 db my a**" LMAO! I feel your pain Cdn! Thinking back, I remember having that same level of disappointment, but strangely enough I have become more comfortable with it over time. They are still too loud for my taste but definitely sound better than before. Maybe give it a little time before you make a final decision. Oh and BTW great job on the video, sound translated very well and it was very well done. Thanks for posting.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM

I would be very interested in that as well Doug. I really like the look of the HK's alot more than stock but just want them a little quieter. According to HK's website they are working on a method to do just that with an add on part of some sort but nothing as of yet. Let me know if there's any way I can help. Thanks.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugginfabrication View Post
CdnVulcanGuy,

I watched your video, But really couldn't get a good look at the baffles. You maybe be able to packed the baffle with with glass/ceramic pack material that we use on our exhuast systems. If you can remove the baffles and send me some pictures I may be able to help you. If there are designed like I think they are, I will send you a sample of the material to try. Send me the pictures.

Doug
Fuggin Fabrication
480/813-4474
[email protected]

Hey AWESOME! I would really appreciate that. I am just leaving for the weekend on a bit of a journey but I will get some pics for you on Monday when I get back.

Thanks again.

2009 Vulcan 900 SE
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Top Contributor

Interesting indeed. I got some Cobra 2 into1 Power Pro pipes for Christmas and boy were they loud. I went for a day ride and my ears rang for 45 minutes after getting home so I purchased the Smart-Parts baffle. When I installed it, it didn't fit really tight, but it did cut the noise down some. I went out and got some muffler putty and sealed the baffle around the outside edge and then painted the inside of the muffler black. That really helped quiet it down a lot. Since doing this I've gotten some compliments from my riding group on how well they sound. They're still louder than stock (there's 2 other 900 LT's in the group so I've heard them side-by-side), but at a reasonable level. I would reccomend the Smart Parts baffle for quieting down loud pipes providing it s sealed around the outside edge. I also really don't think that adding fiberglass to the pipes will have that big an impact, though for some that was enough. I'm really happy with my pipes now.

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
A most excellent video, Cdn, well done. I'd agree with your assessment, there was definately a tonal change with the baffles in, but no way a 6-12dB drop in volume. I'd really like to have seen a meter reading actual dB of the difference.

Good luck with fugginfabrication's suggestion and help, and "good on ya" for helping out a fellow Vulcan rider, Doug. I'm sure Cdn really appreciates it and hopefully you'll garnish useful information in the process.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I must say that after a long ride today I am much happier. It seems that once the pipes get nice and hot they really tone down...A LOT. Is that normal? My wife even commented how much quieter it was so I know it is not my imagination.

Also, SmartPartz has been great to deal with. Here is an email they sent me after I expressed my dissatisfaction.

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your email.
What we would like you to do first is take the bike for some decent rides before you do anything else. We know that when you just put that baffle in you may not hear a huge difference but trust us, on the highway you will notice a definite improvement. If you don't like them, return and we will happily refund your credit card.
We know you are in Canada and are obviously busy right now so do not worry about the 30 day guarantee - we will extend it until June 30, 2010 for you if this will help.
We attach the link to our website for the strippers so you can see the baffles but we have not had great success with wrapping. We think once you have had a chance to do some decent rides you will notice a nice difference - but it will be up to you at the end of the day
http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK250ST.html
Kind regards
Heather
Smartpartz.com

2009 Vulcan 900 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode