Signals stop working when I sit on bike??? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Signals stop working when I sit on bike???

Hey guys. New to the vulcan family. Got the bike last week. Have been riding with no problems. Then today out of no where the signals stop working in the city. Switched to the old hand signals and got home. Got off the bike. . . turned it off. . . then turned it back on and the signals worked!

So then I get back on the bike and sit down. . the signals might work once or twice then go off completely, as I'm sitting. I feel like maybe I'm pinching a wire or something but I've been messing with it for two hours and can't figure it out! I've had the seat off, secured/checked all wires under the seat and can't figure this out!!!!!

I will add that I switched over to a Classic LT seat from a renegade solo. But have had a couple rides with no issues until today.

Any ideas? Maybe I'm pinching a wire with the seat or something??? Here's a pic of under the seat. I have no idea what else to check. I'm no good with electronic aspects.

Other things I'll mention is the bike has aftermarket rear LED bullet style turn signals, and there's a little red box under the seat that appears to get quite hot. . . assuming a flasher of some sort for said signals or something?? No idea.

Thanks in advance for any/all help!!!
-Bill

2009 Vulcan Custom Special Edition
Hard Krome 2-into-1 Sideburner Exhaust
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Kit
Cobra Fi2000 Fuel Management
Scootworks Front & Rear Pulley
Meancycles Radiator Shroud w/ Honeycomb
Mustang tank bib
Kuri ISO grips & swingarm pegs
Arlen Ness Teardrop Mirros
Saddlemen Renegade Solo
Arlen Ness bullet led signals
Side mount license plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpsy View Post
Hey guys. New to the vulcan family. Got the bike last week. Have been riding with no problems. Then today out of no where the signals stop working in the city. Switched to the old hand signals and got home. Got off the bike. . . turned it off. . . then turned it back on and the signals worked!

So then I get back on the bike and sit down. . the signals might work once or twice then go off completely, as I'm sitting. I feel like maybe I'm pinching a wire or something but I've been messing with it for two hours and can't figure it out! I've had the seat off, secured/checked all wires under the seat and can't figure this out!!!!!

I will add that I switched over to a Classic LT seat from a renegade solo. But have had a couple rides with no issues until today.

Any ideas? Maybe I'm pinching a wire with the seat or something??? Here's a pic of under the seat. I have no idea what else to check. I'm no good with electronic aspects.

Other things I'll mention is the bike has aftermarket rear LED bullet style turn signals, and there's a little red box under the seat that appears to get quite hot. . . assuming a flasher of some sort for said signals or something?? No idea.

Thanks in advance for any/all help!!!
-Bill

Here's a wild guess. The red box that gets quite hot is actually load resistors that are connected to the turn signal circuit keeping the flash rate from going hyper since you have LED's. IF that's what the red box is, then it belongs somewhere where it cannot melt plastic or wire insulation. There may be damage to the wiring in that immediate area. Suggest you take a closer look.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Well I tore it all apart today. Previous owner had some shiesty wiring all bundled up in electrical tape. I took all that off and am going to re-do it. But the bigger problem is today the issue is intermittent and persistent. . . regardless if the seat is on or off. I turn the bike on, the signals work a few times. . . then stop. No immediate wires appear to be damaged or melted.

I don't have a service manual and don't know the location of relay/fuses. . . . but does anyone have any guidance for me? I greatly appreciate any and all help!!!

Picture of the wires that were all spliced into a happy bundle of electric tape.

Mustang tank bib
Saddlemen Renegade Solo
Side mount license plate

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Would a bad/going bad relay cause this intermittent issue?

Mustang tank bib
Saddlemen Renegade Solo
Side mount license plate