Windscreens for VN900 classic - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Windscreens for VN900 classic

I have a 2006 VN900 classic which I hope to take touring in Europe in April and have been considering fitting a windscreen. I want a screen that I can comfortably look over but which doesnt just transfer all the buffet to the head . . . . anyone have any advice as to what size or model of screen might work best? Thanks - Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM

I got the 17 inch Memphis Fats on a trigger lock mount. It comes off in less than ten seconds. It takes about 20 seconds to put back on. I am 5'9" and I can see well over the top without any buffeting. I do get a little wind noise. Now that I know how I fit with the 17, I'm pretty sure I would still see over the top of the 19 without any neck or back craning.

Here is a pic of my bike with the shield just after I mounted it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right front reduced.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1175  

Last edited by Marcus; 02-21-2010 at 07:40 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Windscreen for Vulcan 900 Classic

Marcus - thats really useful info. Thanks very much indeed - I'll look into it. Very nice bike too! Rgds Chris

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Buffeting

I put memphis shades lowers on mine, ia windshield and lowers helped a lot

Shortdog
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM

Switchblade

Google switchblade winshield or get it througth bike bandit I have a short but they have larger ones to
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Windshields

Thanks Choppertech
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Marcus,

I too have a Memphis Fats but in the nineteen inch height and I am just slightly taller than you in my bare feet. I find that if I have the windshield in it's most vertical position, it is a little too tall to see over the top but if I put it in the position that you have (sort of parallel to the forks) it looks a lot better and I can see over the top if need be but there is a significant increase in air that comes up alongside the tank. I have a custom which has a slight angle difference in the forks. Have you experimented with the angle? If so , have you noticed the difference?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
Marcus,

I too have a Memphis Fats but in the nineteen inch height and I am just slightly taller than you in my bare feet. I find that if I have the windshield in it's most vertical position, it is a little too tall to see over the top but if I put it in the position that you have (sort of parallel to the forks) it looks a lot better and I can see over the top if need be but there is a significant increase in air that comes up alongside the tank. I have a custom which has a slight angle difference in the forks. Have you experimented with the angle? If so , have you noticed the difference?
I haven't adjusted the angle very much. I don't think I have that much adjustment available. If I try to make it more vertical, there is too much headlight interference when I take it off or put it on. I am using the trigger lock mount. Are you? Also, at the angle it is at, it frames the headlight just right. If I change that, it looks a little sloppy. I wish you were closer and we could compare the different height windshields side by side. It would be interesting to see how they size up.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Marcus,

I am also using the trigger lock system. It is great as I can just remove the shield for washing when I don't want to do the entire bike.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 PM

My bike came with a 17" Memphis Shades that was awful for buffetting. I'm 6'4" tall though. They say the windshield should come to your nose. It's really hard to tell just sitting on the bike in the garage. I taped cardboard to the top of mine at different heights and rode it and ended up settling for the tallest one they sold, 21" I think. Later I added the lowers and man what a difference that made. It's nice that the shield is quick release removable to.
'

2007 Vulcan Classic
Memphis shades Fats windshield with trigger release
Kuryakyn iso grips with throttle boss
Saddleman Drifter Slant Jumbo bags
MC engine guard
Scootworks front overdrive pulley
Clear lenses, amber bulbs
Homemade Trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version