Baron Front Pulley - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Baron Front Pulley

Well, I installed the Baron front pulley, and have to say, I'm a little disappointed. I didn't notice that much of a difference. My vibe moved maybe 2 mph higher. So, should I do the rear? Can I feasaably move the vibe to around 75mph with just pulleys, or do I need to get a bigger tire too?

On a side note, I noticed sort of a harmonic whiring, specifically between 47 and 48 mph, consistently, clutch in or out. Does anyone else have this? It gets pretty loud. I'm not 100% sure it wasn't there before the pulley change, but noticed it after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I am surprised you didn't notice more of s change. The change is a reduction of about 5-6%. With both front/rear pulley change it's about 11-12%. I do have all 3 and it's dropped the rpms 4100 (70mph) to 3250 (70mph) making cruising at 70-75 really comfortable.

You can go to this site and enter in your parameters to see the changes.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

As for the harmonic vibration. When you installed the front pulley did you remove the belt guide inside the cover? I have heard you can get the cover to go back on, but this will cause rubbing issues and maybe a vibration (just a thought).

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 AM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

just remember mxboost that no matter what pulleys or tires you put on your bike the engine will always spin at the same rpm for any given indicated speed! and I say indicated speed as in the speed indicated on the bikes speedo.

VN 900 custom "Cheapo-Glide"
Reckless (clone of) fairing
Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
I am surprised you didn't notice more of s change. The change is a reduction of about 5-6%. With both front/rear pulley change it's about 11-12%. I do have all 3 and it's dropped the rpms 4100 (70mph) to 3250 (70mph) making cruising at 70-75 really comfortable.

You can go to this site and enter in your parameters to see the changes.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

As for the harmonic vibration. When you installed the front pulley did you remove the belt guide inside the cover? I have heard you can get the cover to go back on, but this will cause rubbing issues and maybe a vibration (just a thought).
If the change with both pulleys is that much, I may do the rear as well. I'm also going to adjust the belt a little looser. I made note of how tight it was from the factory, and tried to get it the same. I think it may be tighter.

Thanks for the response.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, I installed the rear pulley, strapped on a gps, and went for a test ride. It was much better. I think I can live with what I have now. At 65 I'm doing about 70, which works for me. Big Worm, an appology for my thoughts. I kept reading what you were saying, and thinking to myself, that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. But after days of reading your posts, in this thread and many others, it all makes sense now. Haha. My bad. I'll take a long ride this weekend to really check things out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Bosco, what size rear tire do you run?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxboost View Post
Bosco, what size rear tire do you run?
200/70-15. Installed it this spring, and like the way the bike rides and handles. With this addition when speedo indicates 65, actual speed is 71.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Top Contributor

front Pulley

The Baron's front pulley is imo better than the SW because of the metal. I had a Sw that was noisy, they took it back. I bought the Baron's, no noise. When the season ends this yr. I am getting the rear installed, I have had it for a year or longer. I was waiting to replace the tire at the same time. The 200 tire and both pulley's will give yhou a reduction of 15%..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 AM

I have the Baron...and removed the belt guide...smooth as silk, and quiet. I am going to do the rear pulley when $$ permits.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage1965 View Post
The Baron's front pulley is imo better than the SW because of the metal. I had a Sw that was noisy, they took it back. I bought the Baron's, no noise. When the season ends this yr. I am getting the rear installed, I have had it for a year or longer. I was waiting to replace the tire at the same time. The 200 tire and both pulley's will give yhou a reduction of 15%..
I would have gone with the Baron's as well, if it had been on the market when I purchased the SW. But, so far, the SW has given me no reason to replace.

2010 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode