Air Intake Mod - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Air Intake Mod

Has anyone installed the new S&S air cleaner or the Baron BAK on their Vulcan 900; how is the fit and performance; any problems with the crankcase vent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Top Contributor

I installed the BAK on mine and for looks in my opinion is the best. It covers the ugly part of the vtwin engine perfect but smaller than the stock one so it looks very clean. You will feel some increase in performance over the stocker but make sure you add a fuel management so its done right. So far I've been very happy and no issues at all. The only heads up I will give you is that with any aftermarket intake system you engine noise will be a little louder.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Has anyone installed the new S&S air cleaner or the Baron BAK on their Vulcan 900; how is the fit and performance; any problems with the crankcase vent?
I installed the BAK and am very pleased. They have attachment ports for all the hoses, sensors, etc. No problems at all with the kits, and quality is top notch, as good or better than any I have ever used.

Additionally, the air cleaner doesn't project out as much as the stock unit or the other aftermarkets units. Highly recommend it.

Andy

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota

Last edited by Shiloh; 02-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
We used the S&S Air-filter on our test bike along with our exhaust systems. We installed each one of the styles of exhaust we make and The S&S filter and found good performance gains. Changing the air-flow with new pipes and aftermarket air-filters will improve the performance of your bike. Do not forget the fuel controller, you need more fuel when you change the air-flow.
If you have any questions regarding air-flow changes to you bike, please feel free to contact me.
Doug
Fuggin Fabrication
480/813-4474
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugginfabrication View Post
We used the S&S Air-filter on our test bike along with our exhaust systems. We installed each one of the styles of exhaust we make and The S&S filter and found good performance gains.
Good info, Doug, thanks for checking it out and giving them the thumbs up. They make a quality product, but it's good to have it tested out from someone other than themselves.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

SHILOH
Did you have any problems with the crankcase breather dripping oil in or outside the filter?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
SHILOH
Did you have any problems with the crankcase breather dripping oil in or outside the filter?
Some oil collects on the inside of the housing/filter, just as on the OEM assembly. But I haven't had any issue with oil dripping out on the engine since I clean the inside of the filter housing about every 1500 miles or so and also being over the top on maintenance, keep the oil level within the lines, never above the top fill mark.

Other systems may use a separate filter on the end of the breather hose (instead of a fitting on the air cleaner) that is tucked away somewhere, like under the fuel tank. These are going to create an absolute nightmare of a mess of oil coated parts and wires over time. And very difficult to clean completely.

The best solution I have ever found is a air/oil separator attached to a separate breather hose. Here is a link to one that is billet and not cheap.
But it really does the trick.

http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com...20Breather.htm

Second best solution is to route the breather air/oil into the air cleaner.

JMO

Hope this helps,

Andy

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota

Last edited by Shiloh; 03-05-2010 at 11:24 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Air Cleaner Wows

So no one else out there has installed the S&S air cleaner mod, fascinating, I'm torn between the S&S and BAK. Any more opinions?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Top Contributor

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:19 AM

Smile

I just installed the the LA choppers(black)XXX air kit on my SE can't judge it from other kits but i did have to buy a little longer hose from auto parts place to finish the job, installation fairly easy though and removal of the gas tank was recomended but i didn't, it just makes the hose a little harder to install on air valve under the tank looks great on the bike thought. looks nice and im happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode