Quieter Pipes - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quieter Pipes

I installed a set of the baffles from SmartPartz in my HK 2.5" Strippers over the weekend and I have to say I'm pretty pleased overall. They don't really make it any quieter but they do deepen the tone which is much more pleasing in my opinion. They were just too harsh before, especially with a full face helmet on. The only thing I don't like is that with the Strippers you can see the baffles stuck right in the end of the pipe and it looks a little cheesy. I'm thinking of maybe painting the baffles with a high temp black to camouflage them a little, but then again maybe they'll do that on their own with a little carbon buildup over time. Oh and $9.99 shipping and they got from Cali to Ga in 3 days which is a pretty sweet deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 AM

I just read your post and want to cry!

I have those same pipes on my 09 SE and I got a ticket from the coppers here for my bike being too loud. Those SmartPartz baffles were all I could find online so I ordered them up. Are they seriously not any quieter??? The site claims 6 - 12 db.

2009 Vulcan 900 SE
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Cdn, to be honest with you I was hoping for alot more noise reduction but I still find it to be way better than before. There is less harshness and the tone is deeper but I would guess very slight overall decibel reduction. I'd suggest giving them a try. And please let me know what you think once you get them in. Thanks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Question That's a bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnVulcanGuy View Post
I just read your post and want to cry!

I have those same pipes on my 09 SE and I got a ticket from the coppers here for my bike being too loud. Those SmartPartz baffles were all I could find online so I ordered them up. Are they seriously not any quieter??? The site claims 6 - 12 db.
6 to 12 Db is a lot. Db is a log scale and a 3 db change is about half, 6 db would be about a quarter, 12 db would be about an eight of the orginal power.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 AM

That is interesting...the legal limit here in Vancouver is, I believe, 92 db.

2009 Vulcan 900 SE
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 AM

The EPA/Feds have a standard of, I think, 88 DB here. In Texas it's not enforced on bikes since its not a state law.

Texas doesn't have a legal sound level standard for bikes, only for cars. Yeah, strange.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Shiloh, when you explain it that way I would definitely say that 6 to 12 db less is very optimistic in reference to the manufacturer's claims. I don't regret the purchase because the pipes do sound alot better, just not alot quieter. I'm looking forward to CdnVulcan's opinion once he installs his.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM

My Full video review is HERE

2009 Vulcan 900 SE
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 PM

The US Federal Standard is 80db for motorcycle manufactures only and testing is done much different than what each state or city is doing. Each state and city is developing their own standards based on the new stationary on-highway motorcycle sound test standard released by SAE. (SAE J2825).
Information from the AMA:
The SAE J2825 on-highway motorcycle sound test procedure is similar to the one used for the SAE J1287 off-highway motorcycle test. The street bike measurement requires holding a calibrated sound meter at a 45-degree angle 20 inches from the exhaust pipe of a running engine. The procedure spells out how to do the test with the bike at idle, at a predetermined engine speed ("Set RPM Test"), or by slowly increasing the engine speed of the bike, known as the "Swept RPM Test."

The SAE J2825 standard, prepared by the SAE Motorcycle Technical Steering Committee, recommends a decibel limit of 92 dBA at idle for all machines or -- using the Set RPM or Swept RPM Test -- 100 dBA for three- or four-cylinder machines, and 96 dBA for bikes with fewer than three or more than four cylinders.

If you get pulled over for sound, make sure the officer is qualified to do the testing and has the calibrated equipment to do the test. If the officer is making a judgment call using his ears, fight it!

Doug
Fuggin Fabrication

Last edited by fugginfabrication; 02-24-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: add
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsRule View Post
I installed a set of the baffles from SmartPartz in my HK 2.5" Strippers over the weekend and I have to say I'm pretty pleased overall. They don't really make it any quieter but they do deepen the tone which is much more pleasing in my opinion. They were just too harsh before, especially with a full face helmet on. The only thing I don't like is that with the Strippers you can see the baffles stuck right in the end of the pipe and it looks a little cheesy. I'm thinking of maybe painting the baffles with a high temp black to camouflage them a little, but then again maybe they'll do that on their own with a little carbon buildup over time. Oh and $9.99 shipping and they got from Cali to Ga in 3 days which is a pretty sweet deal.
I installed the baffle into my Cobra 2 into 1 Power Pro pipes. While it helped, it still wasn't quiet enough. I sealed the outer edge of the baffle with some muffler putty, painted the inside of the pipe black and now it sounds really nice without the high volume.

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode