Cold Weather / Low Battery charge - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 AM
WoodMath

Cold Weather / Low Battery charge

I have a 2008 VN 900 Classic. This is the first winter I've been forced to keep it ourside. Due to the cold, I've not taken it out as much as in summer, and it takes its toll on the battery. That is I make it a point to drive it around about 30 miles once a month so that the battery retains its charge.

However, I'm concerned that one of these days, I will not be able to start the bike because its gone too long in the cold. This last time, It took 2 trys to get the engine to turn over.

Is there a recommended way to start the bike in the event the engine won't turn over due to cold weather / low battery?

For instance, I may have heard somewhere, that becuase this bike is fuel injected, it is harmful to the bike to rided it down a hill and start the ignition that way.

Is there any truth to this?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
My first question is... what do you consider cold? 30 or are you talking -30? If it's 30 or warmer, don't worry about it. If it's -10 or colder, you'd be smart to disconnect the battery and bring it inside. In either case, your best bet is to get a small maintenance type trickle charger and hook it up to your battery when it's going to sit for a while.

I've never heard that a rolling start would hurt a fuel injected engine. That's a new one to me. It's an interesting concept though. If the battery is so dead that it wouldn't power the injectors, i guess it would never start. Even at that, lubrication would be the concern rather than getting fuel to the cylinders. I still don't think it would hurt the engine unless you were pushing/pulling it for quite a ways.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Helek_52; 02-16-2010 at 08:02 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Top Contributor

Agree with the above Helek 52. I you are from a area where you get lots of the - degrees weather then disconnect the batterie and bring it inside or use a tender. I'm from north Texas and we get lost of those 30 degrees here and I don't really have a need for the tender. My bike is 2007 with the original batterie and it always starts.

Now on rolling the bike down a hill to start it should not be a problem. A couple of days ago there was a member here that had batterie issues and he stated that's how he was able to get the bike running again.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I agree with the above that a battery tender is your best solution. I installed an accessory plug on my scoot for cell phone recharging, air pumps, and whatever. If getting to the battery is inconvenient then you could add a male connector to the tender to fit in the accessory plug. Make sure the key is OFF. This will keep your battery fresh and just pull it out to ride.
As far as pushing the scoot to start. No way with an exhausted battery. The fuel pump is electric.

Last edited by reddyford; 02-19-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: add pic
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Top Contributor

Here is the link where this guy stated he rolled down a hill to start his 900.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5779

Gitty Up & Go!

Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classtom View Post
Here is the link where this guy stated he rolled down a hill to start his 900.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5779
I sure would like to have witnessed that! Maybe the battery had enough juice to power the fuel pump. We'll have to monitor TwinsRule next Reply. Thanks Classtom for that link...interesting for sure. My 05 had the original battery last year when traded-in. Worked great at four years old. Batteries are unpredictable for sure. Reddyford
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM
WoodMath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classtom View Post
I'm from north Texas and we get lost of those 30 degrees here and I don't really have a need for the tender. My bike is 2007 with the original batterie and it always starts.
Your response is re-assuring, given I'm located in Dallas Fort Worth. Though I'm not sure where Allen is.

I got a little concerned because my boss who drives a Harley fork, hasn't taken his out since october or november and his battery was completely wiped. But then again his is 2003 used, so that could be the deciding factor.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Top Contributor

1 - Get a Battery Tender Jr. Get the waterproof one if the bike is outside.
2 - Bump starting the bike is not bad for it. I don't think the battery is capable of getting so dead that it won't work. I left my headlight on once at work and she was stone dead when I went to leave. Even the little indicator lights would not shine on the speedometer. And I was still able to bump start it. Just make sure to hold the throttle open some so that when it hits, it will keep going.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodMath View Post
Your response is re-assuring, given I'm located in Dallas Fort Worth. Though I'm not sure where Allen is.

I got a little concerned because my boss who drives a Harley fork, hasn't taken his out since october or november and his battery was completely wiped. But then again his is 2003 used, so that could be the deciding factor.
Allen is loacated in the north side of dallas on 75 between plano and mckinney. I'm actually in your same shoes now. I got my bike in january of 2007 and has three full years of use. Bad thing about mc batteries is when they go out they're gone so I don't think i'll wait too long for a new one.

Gitty Up & Go!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Reddyford, yes I was able to "jump off" my bike by rolling it down a hill. Bike wouldn't turn over but I'm guessing it had enough juice to run whatever electronics it needed to since I always keep it on a trickle charger. The odd thing is that I couldn't get it to shift up to 2nd so that made the jumping off a little harder, took a few times to hit since the motor wouldn't spin much. Almost ran out of hill!

Last edited by TwinsRule; 02-17-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode