Trouble Starting - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Trouble Starting

Hello all. Went for a nice ride today as the weather was finally warm enough. Stopped for fuel and bike wouldn't turn over. Luckily I was on a hill and was able to jump it off. The bike is an '07 Custom 900 that I bought used and the previous owner never used a trickle charger so I guess the battery could be bad. I have kept it on a trickle charger since I bought it and each time after riding it the charger does show that it's charging for a little while then does show fully charged. It's always started right up the 6 or 7 times I've ridden it and even after stopping and starting mid-ride. I checked the fuses and all is good there. This is the first bike I've owned in many years so I am a little rusty on problems such as these. Could my battery be bad even though the charger shows fully charged or could I be looking at a starter, alternator, or rectifier issue? I really don't want to take it to my local stealer as they have a terrible reputation and I don't really know anywhere that I can trust. Not much trouble shooting how-to in the owner's or service manual. Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 PM

connection issues? everything tight? sounds like it may be arcing to start.

2007 VN900 Classic Lt
Chromed Cup Holder
R.F.T.S.
does not matter what you ride
Just Ride Baby Ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Top Contributor

No need to take it to the dealer. The batterie may charge but the problem is holding the charge. Usually batteries go bad in like three-4 years so it's probably time for a new one.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Starting Problems

Hey guys thanks alot for the suggestions. Connections are good at the battery, I had installed the quick connect leads for my trickle charger so I thought of that right off and checked it. It sounded like a weak/dead battery when I tried to start it due to the clicking noises. I guess I'll try a new battery as I know that it wasn't ever maintained by the previous owner. Once I get the new battery in is there a check I should perform to make sure the other items are working properly? Thanks again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 AM

I maintain my batteries all the time and still rarely get more than three years. So at two plus yeears without maintenance, your choice to replace the battery is porobably sound.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsRule View Post
Hey guys thanks alot for the suggestions. Connections are good at the battery, I had installed the quick connect leads for my trickle charger so I thought of that right off and checked it. It sounded like a weak/dead battery when I tried to start it due to the clicking noises. I guess I'll try a new battery as I know that it wasn't ever maintained by the previous owner. Once I get the new battery in is there a check I should perform to make sure the other items are working properly? Thanks again.
If its clicking, I can almost guarantee its a bad battery. My situation sounds the same with the bike purchase. Same thing happened to me and I thought it was a relay. It was a rookie mistake with when I was to the bike.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Top Contributor

Test the individual cells if your charger isn't a newer unit that can detect faults. A battery can read 12v even with a bad cell, but won't have the current to turn the starter. Also, the battery shouldn't take a charge after you ride it for a while unless you have too many accessories. A lot of the 2007 batteries didn't last long; mine only lasted 6 months.

2007 Custom
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Battery

Thanks alot everybody for all the helpful input. I'll get the new battery installed this weekend and hopefully that will take care of it, I'll let you guys know. I found what appears to be a good battery at O'Rileys, it's a fully sealed AGM type called "Super Start" made here in the USA by a company in Missouri (WestCo is the name of the co. I think). Price was on par with alot of other brands at around $70.00. I wanted the Yausa which I've had in quite a few other machines but I refuse to give my local stealer any $$$. Hopefully with the Battery Tender keeping it fresh I'll get some good service out of it. Thanks again for the help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Well it was definitely the battery, got the new one in and did alot of riding this weekend with no trouble. So lesson learned that even though your trickle charger can show fully charged (at least mine did anyway) you can still have a bad battery. BTW the new battery had some handy side accessory hook-ups that made installing the battery tender leads a whole lot easier, as when mounted on top the cover wouldn't fit flush. Nice touch I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode