FI light came on today and bike was losing power. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

FI light came on today and bike was losing power.

Hey guys. I was riding home today from a friends house and all of a sudden the bike started losing power and wouldn't let me go any faster. I looked down and the FI light was red so I pulled off to a side road and turned the bike off. I fired it right back up and drove away with no issues. Is this a know issue or what could have caused this to happen?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

'08 Vulcan 900 Custom
Mods:
Cobra Speedster Shorts (Black)
Show Chrome Custom Diamond Grips
Car Charger Port
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Most likely bad gas, especially if it hasn't done it since.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by customvulc View Post
Hey guys. I was riding home today from a friends house and all of a sudden the bike started losing power and wouldn't let me go any faster. I looked down and the FI light was red so I pulled off to a side road and turned the bike off. I fired it right back up and drove away with no issues. Is this a know issue or what could have caused this to happen?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The FI warning light is telling you that one of the sensors, secondary air system, subthrottle or ignition coils malfunctioned. The event has been saved in your ECU and even though the FI light is now off you can retrieve the code that will tell you what went wrong. If you're not familiar with working on motorcycles and don't have a shop manual, I suggest taking it back to the dealer and they can retrieve the code for you and tell you what it means.
You didn't post whether you have a PowerCommander III on board. If you do then there's a good chance the wire connections are causing you an intermittent problem.

Last edited by Sojourner; 05-27-2013 at 11:20 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM

Garage
I have a 2005 V2K that did the same thing three times. The third time the problem never cleared. The faulty part was the subthrottle actuator. When it stuck it was acting like it had hit the rev limiter (regardless of what my RPMs were). You problem sounds very much like the one I had. The service manual says not to work on these, but my mechanic took it apart and cleaned it and all was good.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm not really knowledgable about the mechanics of the bike. I do know that I have the Cobra exhaust and there is this thing in there that has three lights (red, yellow and green) and when you turn it on it "dials in" or something like that. It's right under the seat. Not sure if this could have been the issue or not.

Sorry guys, bare with me as I'm trying to learn the workings of my bike.

'08 Vulcan 900 Custom
Mods:
Car Charger Port
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by customvulc View Post
I'm not really knowledgable about the mechanics of the bike. I do know that I have the Cobra exhaust and there is this thing in there that has three lights (red, yellow and green) and when you turn it on it "dials in" or something like that. It's right under the seat. Not sure if this could have been the issue or not.

Sorry guys, bare with me as I'm trying to learn the workings of my bike.
It sounds like you have one of the basic Cobra fuel managers. I would have your shop determine what the code is that's now stored in the ECU and go from there. There are many components that will set off the FI light so this has to be the first step. Don't condemn the Cobra fuel manager quite yet.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Top Contributor

[QUOTE=customvulc;1056362] there is this thing in there that has three lights (red, yellow and green) and when you turn it on it "dials in" or something like that.QUOTE]

Yea that's a fuel management system. Suspicion falls on that or is related to that.

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
There's no need to speculate about random components or potential failures even if someone else with similar symptoms had the issue.

When it comes to an FI light, you're in luck, because your bike will actually tell you EXACTLY what is wrong. Have the code pulled and determine what the issue is. If you have a shop manual, it'll tell you how to do it yourself. Once you've determined the failing component, you can go from there. Don't start unplugging stuff just yet.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

It's going in the shop for Spring maintenance and I'll have them check it there and see what's going on while it's in there. Thanks guys.

'08 Vulcan 900 Custom
Mods:
Car Charger Port
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 PM

Lights... sounds like the dobeck tuner I have. I like it a lot. More adjustability than the Cobra, and made here in the USA to boot!

2007 Ninja 650R traded in and missed
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic current Kawi
900cc=55 cubic inches

Is there a Gadget page for us 900 owners???

Vulcan 900 "oily air filter" fix

Get 3-4 feet of tranny line from parts store that's the same ID as the stock vent line. Attach to jug, route hose up to bottom of fuel tank around wires and back down to airbox, cut off excess (leave a little slack so wires are NOT under tension) and attach to airbox. Reinstall everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode