Givi Topcase on a Vulcan - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Givi Topcase on a Vulcan

I have a large Givi Topcase from my sports touring days (Honda VFR) which has been sitting in the garage for the past year since I traded the VFR for the Vulcan. My bike came with some functional fake leather saddle bags which I promptly removed (I think they are ugly, they are not lockable..etc). I will eventually get some Matuzu hard bags, but I am saving my $$ for a batwing first . On a budget like so many of us! Anyway, I had to rummage through the garage looking for paint earlier today to paint my daughters dollhouse (sacrificed a nice riding day!!)...and anyway I had to take the Givi case down....for lack of anywhere to put it, I balanced it on the passenger seat on the Vulcan ... and it didn't look half bad up there. It gave the VFR a big rear end, but on the Vulcan which has a very wide profile in the front, it actually didn't look half bad.

Anyway, I have the hard plastic mounting plate (i think its called a mono-key plate), I just need a carrier that mounts to the Vulcan. I know some guys run Givi cases on their cruisers, so am reaching out to see if anyone on this board has one. I don't want a sissy bar, just a plate. Ideally the Givi will function as a backrest for my passenger (my case has the optional hard foam back rest thing on it). I'm even playing with the idea of buying a used stock seat on ebay and mounting the case right to the pillon area so it can act as a backrest for me and give me some much needed lockable luggage capacity. I don't tour with a passenger so I'd use the current seat for the odd time my wife wants to go for a ride (very odd time actually)..

So...thoughts on Givi? Pics? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Everything is always form vs function, you will have the function, I'm just not sure you will have the form.

Really though, Its your bike, you should add what you want, not what others think.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM

I have a Givi 355 that I bought from a colleague. I built a plate the goes where the sissy bar would mount. I like the unit because it has lights that can be set up for running or brake. I have mine set up to run and have dual strip LED's to serve as brake lights. Makes for a larger night time presentation not to mention the safety aspect.

Only thing I don't like is the clam shell design where you have press top and bottom together to close the unit. Mine came with a dedicated mounting bracket that was set up with multiple contacts points for the lights that just was not going to fit the 900, hence the handmade plate, wire cutters and electrical tape.

It is nice to have a place for stuff.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I have had Givi on the last couple of sport tourers that I have had, its first class stuff and well worth the price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burnside View Post
I have a Givi 355 that I bought from a colleague. I built a plate the goes where the sissy bar would mount. I like the unit because it has lights that can be set up for running or brake. I have mine set up to run and have dual strip LED's to serve as brake lights. Makes for a larger night time presentation not to mention the safety aspect.

Only thing I don't like is the clam shell design where you have press top and bottom together to close the unit. Mine came with a dedicated mounting bracket that was set up with multiple contacts points for the lights that just was not going to fit the 900, hence the handmade plate, wire cutters and electrical tape.

I loved having it on my VFR. Can you post some pics of the mounting setup so I can get a better idea?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Twisted throttle.com sells mounting plates for givi, from memory theres a multi fit adapter plate for top cases

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM

I'd looked into this exact possibility when I bought my 900 a year and a half ago, as I had a Givi case for my other bike and was going to swap it between the two. My conclusion was that with a little bit of nut/bolt/washer hunting at the local hardware store you could mount the Givi Monolock plate you already own onto any good quality, larger luggage rack (e.g. Cobra, National Cycle, etc etc). I noticed that quite a few come in three "pieces" that can be purchased separately -- the bike-specific side plates (attach to the fender), the luggage rack, and the sissy bar. I'd considered buying the side plates+luggage rack, but most of the really nice ones ended up costing almost as much as a set of Mutazu side cases!

In the end, I sold the Givi case with my other bike, and went with the Mutazu cases. They are not as weather proof as the Givi, and not as sturdy, but I'm happy with them anyway for the price...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'04 DL650 V-Strom
Gone but not forgotten...
'08 VN 900 Custom in Kawasaki racing green

'95 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja
'88 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja (track bike)
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'83 Honda CX650 Custom
'87 Yamaha YZ125
'84 Honda XR80
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve900c View Post
I'd looked into this exact possibility when I bought my 900 a year and a half ago, as I had a Givi case for my other bike and was going to swap it between the two. My conclusion was that with a little bit of nut/bolt/washer hunting at the local hardware store you could mount the Givi Monolock plate you already own onto any good quality, larger luggage rack (e.g. Cobra, National Cycle, etc etc). I noticed that quite a few come in three "pieces" that can be purchased separately -- the bike-specific side plates (attach to the fender), the luggage rack, and the sissy bar. I'd considered buying the side plates+luggage rack, but most of the really nice ones ended up costing almost as much as a set of Mutazu side cases!

In the end, I sold the Givi case with my other bike, and went with the Mutazu cases. They are not as weather proof as the Givi, and not as sturdy, but I'm happy with them anyway for the price...
This is what I'm seeing.....I could spend $200 on a good rack, or sell my Givi and spend about the same on a set of hard bags which will give the bike a more traditional cruiser look...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode