Something for the Memory Bank - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Something for the Memory Bank

A few months back I replaced my stator, performed a valve clearance check, and changed out antifreeze on my '08 Classic LT. All went well until my test ride. About 1/2 mile from home I hear a strange sound, like a rubbing sound. I slow down and noise slows down. At stop, no sound. Okay lets go again and after just a bit the sound returns. Hmmmm....sounds like from the front of the bike. I'm thinking brake pad rubbing disk? I get home and jack up front and check for any chaffing of the pad on disk....nope. Okay, another test ride, more rubbing sound. Time to get back to basics....I changed out stator and since the sound is only when the bike is rolling and not stopped with engine running, I rule out stator. At a stop the engine runs great with no bad sound at all RPMs. Okay, I had no problem before I did all this maintenance what has now changed. I think of antifreeze change. Okay, I had the left side antifreeze reservoir cover off so I pull that cover and front pulley cover and inspect. About to give up as I can't spot anything when I note that the antifreeze reservoir bottom peg is not in the hole of the mount bracket. When I pulled the reservoir to clean and then reinstalled it I accidently slid the bottle up a smidgeon to get the 2 bolts in and it popped out of the hole. When I put the cover on the reservoir tilted back and somehow push this or that and the belt was just kissing the frame and making the noise.
I inspected the reservoir and everything around it and all I could find was a slight rub mark on the frame from the belt. I reassembled everything and I have about three hundred miles on the bike since the maintenance and everything is quiet.
Moral of story is make sure reservoir is installed correctly to prevent weird rubbing noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 PM

Good know, your probably not the only one to do that.

AND, thank you two years from now when I change out my antifreeze and get a weird rubbing noise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode