Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes and Smartpartz Hardcore - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes and Smartpartz Hardcore

I have a set of Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes on my '07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I bought the Hard Kore Quiet baffles for them (http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCB22520.html) but am having problems with the installation. The installation instructions say to drill a new hole in the original baffles for the set screw, but this requires rotating the baffle slightly from its original orientation when inserting the baffle back into the pipe. The problem is that the back 1.5" or so of the baffle is angled very slightly and rotating the baffle even a little bit results in the baffle not being able to be inserted fully into the pipe.

Does anyone else have any experience with these smartpartz baffles? Did you have the same problem?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSJ725 View Post
I have a set of Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes on my '07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I bought the Hard Kore Quiet baffles for them (http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCB22520.html) but am having problems with the installation.
Thanks for any help!
Sorry can't help you yet, I have the same pipes on a used 07 Vulcan 900 classic that I just purchased and its a bit noisy for me.
I don't like the popping or backfire.

Did you get this installed and how do they work, I'm thinking of getting some.

thanks, Jim
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

I wrote to Smartpartz the same night I posted here. Here is the reply I got from Smartpartz:

"Drill the hole within a 1/4" of the original hole and there should be enough movement to rotate the baffle a very small amount.
You could utilize the original hole but then if you decided you did not like our baffles for some reason you would have to secure the original baffle with a screw and a nut.
Also, using a little bit of WD40 upon reinstallation on the baffle sometimes works wonders.
The slashdown baffle does have a slight bend towards the end.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Chris
Customer Service
Smartpartz.com"

I wound up using the original hole on the baffle, but that required removing the small piece of metal that's welded to the inside of the baffle that had the original threaded screw hole. I just took a flat blade screwdriver and pried it out a good ways then braced the screwdriver against it and used a hammer to knock it off. Then I could insert the Smartpartz baffle and line it up with the original hole. Of course, this ruined two $35 baffles in case I decided I didn't like the Smartpartz...

It was still a very tight fit in the pipe and I took their advice with the WD-40. I had to use a file on the original baffle to get the Smartpartz insert to sit flush against the end. While inserting it into the exhaust, I had to use a pair of pliers to push the baffle in and position it so it lined up with the hole in the exhaust. I used a small mirror to help me see the screw hole on the back side of the exhaust.

I got it installed yesterday and it's been rainy and windy here since then, so I haven't had a chance to take it for a test ride. Revving it up in my garage, it seems to have a lower growl than the original baffle by itself. I've tried the Cobra Quiet Core baffle and didn't see much difference over the standard baffle. The Smartpartz seems like it's much lower pitched, but I need to take it out for a ride to really know how it will perform. I'll post a followup as soon as I do.

PS: Be sure to use locktite on the screws if you do anything to your baffles. Those pipes vibrate a lot and you'll eventually lose the screws if you don't. I lost the tip on one of my pipes that way. Another $35 lesson...

Last edited by VSJ725; 02-11-2010 at 12:52 AM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I wrote to Smartpartz the same night I posted here. Here is the reply I got from Smartpartz:

"Drill the hole within a 1/4" of the original hole and there should be enough movement to rotate the baffle a very small amount.
You could utilize the original hole but then if you decided you did not like our baffles for some reason you would have to secure the original baffle with a screw and a nut.
Also, using a little bit of WD40 upon reinstallation on the baffle sometimes works wonders.
The slashdown baffle does have a slight bend towards the end.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Chris
Customer Service
Smartpartz.com"

I wound up using the original hole on the baffle, but that required removing the small piece of metal that's welded to the inside of the baffle that had the original threaded screw hole. I just took a flat blade screwdriver and pried it out a good ways then braced the screwdriver against it and used a hammer to knock it off. Then I could insert the Smartpartz baffle and line it up with the original hole. Of course, this ruined two $35 baffles in case I decided I didn't like the Smartpartz...

It was still a very tight fit in the pipe and I took their advice with the WD-40. I had to use a file on the original baffle to get the Smartpartz insert to sit flush against the end. While inserting it into the exhaust, I had to use a pair of pliers to push the baffle in and position it so it lined up with the hole in the exhaust. I used a small mirror to help me see the screw hole on the back side of the exhaust.

I got it installed yesterday and it's been rainy and windy here since then, so I haven't had a chance to take it for a test ride. Revving it up in my garage, it seems to have a lower growl than the original baffle by itself. I've tried the Cobra Quiet Core baffle and didn't see much difference over the standard baffle. The Smartpartz seems like it's much lower pitched, but I need to take it out for a ride to really know how it will perform. I'll post a followup as soon as I do.

PS: Be sure to use locktite on the screws if you do anything to your baffles. Those pipes vibrate a lot and you'll eventually lose the screws if you don't. I lost the tip on one of my pipes that way. Another $35 lesson...
Thanks, very good description and how you installed them.

I have order a set of these, all I want is for them to tone the noise down just a little and add some back pressure to help reduce the popping noise.

I listened to some stock pipes and they sure were quit compared to these Cobra's.
Since I never rode a stock bike I don't know if there is a power gain that goes with all the noise.

Let me know what you think of them after a ride.

thanks, Jim
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenanj View Post
Thanks, very good description and how you installed them.

I have order a set of these, all I want is for them to tone the noise down just a little and add some back pressure to help reduce the popping noise.

I listened to some stock pipes and they sure were quit compared to these Cobra's.
Since I never rode a stock bike I don't know if there is a power gain that goes with all the noise.

Let me know what you think of them after a ride.

thanks, Jim
As a follow up I received these baffles and installed them in my Cobra pipes.

The install was very easy and I could not be more happy with them.

It toned the noise down just a little to a lower bass sound and eliminated most all of the popping noise.

To me it is now just perfect and still plenty loud to be noticed.

-Jim
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenanj View Post
As a follow up I received these baffles and installed them in my Cobra pipes.

The install was very easy and I could not be more happy with them.

It toned the noise down just a little to a lower bass sound and eliminated most all of the popping noise.

To me it is now just perfect and still plenty loud to be noticed.

-Jim
I finally got a chance to go for a ride yesterday. I had the same experience. The Smartpartz baffles were noticebly quieter than the original baffles by themselves. They were also quieter than the Cobra Quiet Core baffles. To be honest, the pipes are still a little louder than I'd like at highway speeds, but at least my ears no longer ring like I've been at a rock concert after half an hour of riding.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I finally got a chance to go for a ride yesterday. I had the same experience. The Smartpartz baffles were noticebly quieter than the original baffles by themselves. They were also quieter than the Cobra Quiet Core baffles. To be honest, the pipes are still a little louder than I'd like at highway speeds, but at least my ears no longer ring like I've been at a rock concert after half an hour of riding.
I have a set of Speedster shorts that are way to loud. I bought a set of Smartparts baffles, but bike is apart for another month or so, so I haven't tried them. Anyway I also got a set of used Cobra quiet baffles from a guy that didn't like them. I've heard different opinions on which one sounds better and or quiets exhaust down. I was wondering if anybody has tried putting the Smartparts baffles on the Cobra Quiet baffles? If so does it quiet down to reasonable levels? I don't like loud pipes but I don't want to go back to stock exhaust.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs900c View Post
I have a set of Speedster shorts that are way to loud. I bought a set of Smartparts baffles, but bike is apart for another month or so, so I haven't tried them. Anyway I also got a set of used Cobra quiet baffles from a guy that didn't like them. I've heard different opinions on which one sounds better and or quiets exhaust down. I was wondering if anybody has tried putting the Smartparts baffles on the Cobra Quiet baffles? If so does it quiet down to reasonable levels? I don't like loud pipes but I don't want to go back to stock exhaust.
I actually didn't think to try that. I bought my bike used and it already had the Cobra pipes, otherwise I'd just have the stock pipes. I bought the Cobra Quiet Core baffles and was not satisfied, so I tried the Smartpartz Hard Kores (which are made to mount in the ends of the original baffles. The Hard Cores worked much better for me.

It looks like the Hard Kore baffles would probably fit in the ends of the Quiet Cores, so that may be a viable option. Also, the Quiet Cores don't fit as snuggly into the pipes as the original baffles, so you can probably drill the hole for the Hard Kore anywhere around the baffle so that if you don't like the Hard Kore on it, you can remove it and still use the original screw hole.

Dang it. Now I want to pull the baffles back out and try this. lol

Last edited by VSJ725; 02-16-2010 at 03:19 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I actually didn't think to try that. I bought my bike used and it already had the Cobra pipes, otherwise I'd just have the stock pipes. I bought the Cobra Quiet Core baffles and was not satisfied, so I tried the Smartpartz Hard Kores (which are made to mount in the ends of the original baffles. The Hard Cores worked much better for me.

It looks like the Hard Kore baffles would probably fit in the ends of the Quiet Cores, so that may be a viable option. Also, the Quiet Cores don't fit as snuggly into the pipes as the original baffles, so you can probably drill the hole for the Hard Kore anywhere around the baffle so that if you don't like the Hard Kore on it, you can remove it and still use the original screw hole.

Dang it. Now I want to pull the baffles back out and try this. lol
I know I want you to do it I've been looking into it all now and just found this thread which made me very happy If you do try combining both quiet baffles (since you have them already) I'd love to hear the results.

So far it seems like the Smartpartz Hard Kores are a little quieter then the Cobra quiet core baffles which are just a tad below the stock Cobras. I love the look of the cobras (which came with my bike also), I'd just like quieter, no desire to have a loud bike. If a combo of the Smartpartz Hard Kore plus Cobra quiet core baffles are noticeably quieter then just the Smartpartz, that'd be great. Thanks for starting this thread
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM

I've already got the Smartpartz Hard Kore baffles and the Cobra Quiet Core baffles installed together. I have my bike partially apart so I haven't started it yet to see how it sounds. Since I've only ridden my bike with the Cobra's and standard baffles for ~30 minutes at most last fall, I don't know how well I'll be able to compare just from starting it. I'll have to put some miles on to see if they're quiet enough for me. I'll post back probably sometime in April and give my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode