Bridgestone g 702 rear tire - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Question Bridgestone g 702 rear tire

Hi, it's been some time since my last post here, although I've been reading and collecting some info from this forum some time. I changed my rear tire for the Bridgestone G 702. Same exact size as stock Dunlop. For some reason the dealer didn't have the dunlop in stock and couldn't wait any longer. I put 10.450 miles on it and didn't want to wait any longer since my ride to work every day is 100 + miles ( 2 way). So far the tire handles very good, I can't tell if any better than stock since I have to take it easy during break in period. While I was asking for prices in different places, different people told me the Bridge. was a better tire than the Dunlop. So I had no other choice. Avon and Meztler were not an option, price wise and I had to wait for the order.
Anyway, the dealer also had the best price for tire and installation, . Surprise!!
But, I notice that they used "wheights" to balance the wheels, Since I have a classic with spoke wheels. This is my first change or tires and I was under the impression that they didn't use wheights to balance the wheels.
Apologies for my ignorance but I rather make sure before I take it back.
Thanks so much for your response and RIDE SAFE!!!

TCRIDER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08' CLASSIC 900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Top Contributor

Yep, even spoke rims need to be weighted. This weights go on the spokes and are harly noticeable.

Oh and about the Dunlops, anything is better than dunlops.
So far on motorcycle and vehicles stock dunlops lack performance in wet and wear very fast.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

Last edited by V Twin; 02-07-2010 at 11:46 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. But I think that they used different kind of wheights, they are installed over the lip of the rim instead of the spokes. I'll do more research about this issue, I'm affraid the wheights will fall from the rim since they appear to be glued to it. If anybody out there knows that this is the right wheights for spoke wheels, please let me know. I'm kind of paranoid when it's about my "precious".
Thanks again.
I'll post some pics as soon as I take them.
Be safe!!!!

TCRIDER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08' CLASSIC 900

Last edited by tcrider; 02-07-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Correction

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Garage
Allot of rims are getting stick on weights now. Some rims do not have the outside lip that traditional weights would clamp onto. My wifes van has stick on. Spokes usually get weights that attach to the spoke itself. May be a rim issue, or shop preference. If they were going to come off, they would have the first few miles, and scare you to death when they did.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
In time, yes, the glued on weights will fall off. But more than likely, you'll need another tire before that happens.
Given the choice, i'd opt for the weights that go onto the spokes. To me they are not only less intrusive to the looks of the bike, but the sheer fact that the centrifical force pushes them harder onto the spoke makes them a bit safer. And there won't be any residue left on the lip of the rim to clean up next tire change.
I'm gonna try the ceramic beads next time i change my tire.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode