NMR Car Suspension Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
NMR Car Suspension Question

I know this isn't a motorcycle issue. My wife back in the first week of december spun out her car and banged it up. What looked like it wouldn't be a big deal turned into two months later and close to 20k in repairs. The current thing holding things up is waiting on some suspension parts that were damaged but weren't caught until they were doing the final alignment before cleaning the car up. It tweeked a lower control arm, wheel bearing, and the MacPherson strut.

Now here is my question. They are only changing one strut, not both fronts. Which to me seems kinda weird. Cuz the car has like 33k miles. It would seem that it would be unbalanced. I know if you had that many miles on the tires and one blows you have to change two of them to keep wear levels on the matching tire to be evenly yoked. I would think that the same would apply on suspension. Especially on a newer AWD car. So any mechanics out there have any opinions?

BTW it is a '08 Hyundai Veracruz AWD

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Top Contributor

First, I'd find a new shop. Suspension damage isn't hard to recognize. The other strut should be fine unless the vehicle see's a lot of heavy duty which would prematurely wear parts out. As a general rule replacing suspension parts in sets is better since it ensures even tire wear and stable handling.

2007 Custom
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Yeah well I don't know how I would do that with insurance. I suppose after this shop is done I could pay to have another shop just check it out. Maybe a shop that specializes in suspension.

They said that they did catch the one thing before. But the other stuff must not have been real bad cuz it didn't show up until they did the alignment. The strut was tweaked enough that they couldn't adjust the camber well enough. They guy who I have been dealing with said that even with that being an issue when he drove it up to their other location to have them check the alignment he didn't notice anything.

I have always done suspension in pairs. Just for the fact of even wear.

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
It's a good question Jace. Does a strut function the same from when it is installed until it fails or does it loosen up during it's life and perform differently. I do know it is common for additional repairs to surface after the initial inspection by the shop and insurance claim. When one of our cars was in an accident, the shop warned us right in the beginning that more damage could pop up when they start removing and repairing the damaged (front end) areas. They did find more and the claim had to be expanded, it seemed routine to the body shop and the insurance company.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Top Contributor

Late thought since I wasn't awake this morning. If it was hit hard enough to tweak a strut and bend a control arm I'd more concerned with the axles and potential damage to the transfer case. Personally, I'd unload the car before bearing and seals start failing. How can repairs close in on 20k and the thing not be totalled? I'm not familiar with the Hyundai but I suspect it's unibody and not a real frame. I'd insist that the insurance company have it looked at by a frame shop.

2007 Custom
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
It is a unibody that sits on frame rails. But the front end they have the crumple zones that are supposed to buckle before any damage to the frame will occur. They replaced those components. They had to pull the engine to do it.
I asked about the transmission, cuz yeah knowing that the cv shafts are there in front I was worried to. I don't know if the strut itselft actually got bent or if it was more the things it connects to.
I guess the total cost is about 16500 and the total NADA retail value that they go off of is 31500. 52% it has to be at 70% before they would total it.

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Top Contributor

Good luck. I was in a similar situation with front end damage years ago and the body shop helped me incur enough damage (via sledge hammer) to call the car totalled when the estimator came around.

2007 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode