Increased Light - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Increased Light

Question Guys....
I want to increase my MAIN headlight bulb from the OEM to something better and greater visibility. Thoughts???????

"KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN AND BE SAFE"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pasnbyu

Pearl City Life Riders RC
'11 Voyager aka "THE UNIT"
Utopia Backrest
Mirror Extensions
Kury Offset Pegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM

Head light

Had one of the 100/85 watt bulbs made high beam great but made the fuse blow. Checked the aim and found it to be way low as delivered from the dealer. Reset the aim and now I am happy with the result. Now I have the stock wattage bulb and it seems as good as the high wattage one and no more fuse problems.

2009 900LT Blue and Black
Matzu rack,OEM Windshield Lowers Windshield bag
Mustang backrest pad,
Mustang Touring Seat,Passenger Floor Boards
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Drag Specialty Highway Pegs
Kawasaki Light Bar,ISO Grips,Power Point,Tom Tom GPS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Try the Sylanvia Ultra Silverstar. I don't think the wattage increases, but the light colour is much brighter

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 AM

Garage
And over on the other larger Kawi forum, there's a recent thread about this where lots of folk are happy with the Wagner BP1210. Though it is 80/100, no one was complaining about fuses blowing, I don't think.

Someone over there also said though the Silverstars are brighter, he thought they didn't seem to last as long (your mileage may vary).

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff

Last edited by ForestLake_900LT; 02-07-2010 at 05:43 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 AM

I'm running one of the new Silverstar's. They claim the new model is 50% brighter but I do not believe it. They do a good job for a standard wattage bulb with slightly whiter light. I've been running the Silverstars in my car for several years and find they only last about half the life of a regular halogen even being careful not to touch them putting them in. I saw the other thread about the 80/100 and picked one up at NAPA the other day for when the Silverstar dies. Put a Cobra light bar on a few weeks back. Noticed they were not real bright and checked the bulb. They only came with 25w H3 bulbs so I'll look for some in the 35-50w range to replace with.

Ron
Southern Crusiers, Chapter #6
2009 Vulcan 900 LT Red/Titanium
Kury Iso Grips and Throttle Lock
Cobra Guard w/Kury Foot Rests
Kawa Windshield Lowers
Scootworks Pulley
Cobra Luggage Rack
Wolo BadBoy Horn
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Top Contributor

I ran the Siverstar for a while and then went to the modulated light. I run Silverstar in one of my cages but the lens is so yellow I can't really tell the difference.

2007 Custom
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Red face Light bulb

The bulb I was running was the Wagner bp1210 which was okay for about a month then the fuse went out. Changed to the silver-star and reset the aim. Did not want to take a chance with the fuse blowing again and maybe having some issue with the wiring. The brighter bulb was good but the silverstar is just as bright now that the aim has been set right.

2009 900LT Blue and Black
Matzu rack,OEM Windshield Lowers Windshield bag
Mustang backrest pad,
Mustang Touring Seat,Passenger Floor Boards
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Drag Specialty Highway Pegs
Kawasaki Light Bar,ISO Grips,Power Point,Tom Tom GPS
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 AM

I installed the Wagner BP1210 and a Kisan headlight modulator with no problems. The first Wagner bulb lasted about 5k. I carry a spare in the saddlebag now. No fuse issues.

John
2007 900 Custom
Plasma Blue
Oxford, MI
VROC 25948
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Yeah those brighter bulbs don't last as long. I have put them in my cars. My wifes camry would burn them out like crazy but my elantra no problem. I have had one in my bike for a couple years now. I had one in my Ninja 250 then put it in my VN750 then moved it to my 900. No problems. I am always careful of course not to touch or jostle the bulb too much. I was told that they tend to burn out quicker cuz they are running a hotter temp then stockers. I want to get some of them for my spots. Either that or get bulbs for my spots that are fog yellows.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Garage
I swapped out my stock bulb for a Silverstar and found it was a little brighter and more blue/white than yellow/white and the beam was focused in a slightly different pattern. While I found it was better it wasn't as good as some said it was. Maybe my expectations were too high. Sometimes I wonder if some people are able to be objective about something they purchased. I got better results by installing the stock Kawi lightbar and putting in 55 watt bulbs instead of the 25 watt lamps it came with. Then I was able to aim the Light bar lights "where I needed the light". Let me explain more about this. More than 50% of my time in the saddle is at night and on some back roads that go through the deep dark forest some times losing the pavement to dirt paths without coming across any homes or populated areas for a couple of miles. I have a tendency for colorful writing. Seriously though on the back roads I can get deep in the woods and with the light bar I have the lights aimed out and up a bit so as to illuminate the side of the road so I can see the critters sooner. Last season I avoided many Deer because I had my lights aimed off to the shoulder while my headlight took care of the road itself. One evening a rather large Raccoon was making it's suicide run across the road and I was able to have advance warning because of my lights aimed this way. Recently I was lurking around the parts counter and heard a discussion about a HID conversion kit going on sale. They told me depending on the application about $140.00 list, on sale $86.00 out the door. The parts Guy "JB" had to call tech support to be sure my bike could use the kit and they said I was good to go. The kit could accommodate a 2 bulb system and all I had to do was hook up one side of the wiring. The only difficult thing would be placing the ballast somewhere out of the way. I have not yet put it in but it will be before the season gets into full swing. The fellas that have this setup say it throws a strong beam way out ahead. I'll get back to you on this.

'06 Vulcan900 Classic Candy Fire Red
Memphis Shades w/quik Disconnect
Cobra Sissy Bar and Rack
Lindby Multi bar with Kury Silver Bullets
Kawi Light Bar w/55watt bulbs
Kury PowerPoint
Kury Brake Light Kit
ISO-Grips W/Throttle Boss
VistaCruise Throttle lock
LeatherLyke Hard Bags
Pirelli MT66 W/Dynabeads

2000 Voyager XII Stock equipped