buffeting - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

buffeting

I put an OEM windscreen from an LT on my 08 900 Custome and the buffeting was terrible. I tried adjusting up and down with no relief. I then added OEM lowers and the buffeting was dramatically cut down. That being said, at 70mph or if the wind is blowing, I still get buffeting. I have read some posts about how angeling the windscreen back so it is at the same angle as the forks also helps. https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ight=buffeting

Can someone explain or better.... post pics of how they angled the windscreen?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 PM

On one of the past threads "waterboy13" mentioned he was working on some brackets that would angle the windshield. You may want to PM him or contact him through his web site. http://ironsinthefire.webs.com/

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM

Found this from an earlier thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy13 View Post
You are welcome! Making the shield snug up against the windshield behind the turn signal certainly eliminates the wind through that gap that comes up around the tank, quite strange aerodynamics of the wind around and up from the tank on the 900, you honestly won't believe the difference, it was my first "creation" for my bike. You can hang your hand/arm down by your side and out and the wind doesn't blow it away! I've had a South Dakota "ringneck" pheasant bounce off mine at 45mph, saving my leg and did no damage to the lower or bike, they have caught many a bug and road debris from passing motorists. The adjustable feature will let you raise them as you raise the windshield if that is an issue. Coming soon is a "Windshield Tilt Mod Kit" with both vertical and rearward tilt option replacing the factory brackets on the windshield which should help with buffeting even more and make the windshield more pleasing to the eye by being in alignment with the forks. I will never have a bike without the lowers again. Thanks again, would love to be able to help (a displaced Minnesotan from Spicer!). Click on site photos to open more.
http://ironsinthefire.webs.com/apps/photos/

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Windshield Tilt Mod Kit

Thanks jfarley, laser folks are cutting prototype and when fitted and approved I will be getting several sets cut, then off to chrome, 4-6 weeks I'm guessing, they should be very affordable.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks jfarley, laser folks are cutting prototype and when fitted and approved I will be getting several sets cut, then off to chrome, 4-6 weeks I'm guessing, they should be very affordable.
I'm still planning on getting a set of your lowers. I'm scheduled for an April termination at work, good old reduction in work force. I've applied for a new position, if I get it I'll get them on order. If not may have to sell the bike.

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Recession Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarley View Post
I'm still planning on getting a set of your lowers. I'm scheduled for an April termination at work, good old reduction in work force. I've applied for a new position, if I get it I'll get them on order. If not may have to sell the bike.
Both Deb and I want you to know that we have "started over" in life countless times, each time thinking it is worse than the last, but as I walk into the bedroom each day I am reminded by a wall hanging that, "When God closes one door, he opens another", how true, I'm sure that what change may come will somehow be better, it's just hard to realize it sometimes as we mortals tend to dwell on misfortune instead of rejoicing for our gifts, good luck.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Top Contributor

Another way to look at came when I was at my lowest point. I thought I had lost the most important thing to me because of someone elses actions, but all I lost was a lousy marriage... and still ended up raising my son after the age of 13. It came from a line in a book. Though the book was fiction, this tidbit was real. "Where once I thought I was the victim of my circumstances, I discovered I was really the designer of my destiny". I took the actions and trusted in that which is greater than myself for the result... and it proved to be true. As mentioned above, when one door closes, another one is opened. All I have to do is to have the faith to reach out and turn the door knob!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones View Post
Another way to look at came when I was at my lowest point. I thought I had lost the most important thing to me because of someone elses actions, but all I lost was a lousy marriage... and still ended up raising my son after the age of 13. It came from a line in a book. Though the book was fiction, this tidbit was real. "Where once I thought I was the victim of my circumstances, I discovered I was really the designer of my destiny". I took the actions and trusted in that which is greater than myself for the result... and it proved to be true. As mentioned above, when one door closes, another one is opened. All I have to do is to have the faith to reach out and turn the door knob!!!
Quote:
Both Deb and I want you to know that we have "started over" in life countless times, each time thinking it is worse than the last, but as I walk into the bedroom each day I am reminded by a wall hanging that, "When God closes one door, he opens another", how true, I'm sure that what change may come will somehow be better, it's just hard to realize it sometimes as we mortals tend to dwell on misfortune instead of rejoicing for our gifts, good luck.
Thanks, I do appreciate your thoughts.

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

I am suprised at the buffeting, maybe its because its on a custom, mine is a classic lt and i was amazed when i got the bike at how quiet it was, shorty helmets, normal conversation at speed <65mph> no wind noise, i wear earplugs on my sportbike, what a difference.... I changed the "rake" of my shield to angle the same as my forks by enlarging the bottom hole and using a washer, not much of a adjustment but it all flows, height setting is on low.... just my 2 cents worth.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:04 AM

Curious to hear how changing the angle of the oem windshield helps. I too have the oem windshield with bad buffeting. hoping to buy a set of Waterboys lowers in the spring here(so dont stop making them) to help the problem. Like head in a paint shaker right now. Riding without the windshield is way easier on the brain but the rocks and bugs hurt a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode