Tire Shopping - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Tire Shopping

Has anybody bought tires off ebay? I was looking and found some really good deals on Metzelers. I just know that a mech was saying the reason most places charge more for mounting a tire you did not buy from them, that you bought online is that they can't guarantee that it good. Like if somebody strapped them together too tightly, it may have broken cords or something else may be bad. (I think that is total bravo sierra) the last tires I got online. I got from ron ayers and they were direct shipped from drag specialties. Which is where the mech gets their tires from.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Top Contributor

My first 90/90 front tire was purchased from American motorcycle tire online, somewhere around 2000 miles later the tire had blistered and had to be replaced. don't know if it was a bad tire or not, but the guy at the tire shop I went to for replacement said he has seen more problems from online tire purchases than they have with factory direct buys. Metz rep was supposed to look at my blistered tire and let me know if it would be warrentied, never heard from him, so I guess not.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM

I Dont Think It Maters Where You Get Ant Itemif Its Good Its Good If Ist Deffective Ists Deff The Person Who Instals It Cant Guarentee Much .... Most Places You Buy A Product From They Will Offer Some Kind Of Warenty

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 AM
Top Contributor

Make sure of the date on the tires. They could be outdated.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I've never bought tires off ebay, not sayin' it's a bad thing, I've never had to. We've got 2 indy shops relatively close, one is straight up,"if you don't buy your tires from us, we won't mount them." I asked the owner why and he was pretty blunt and told me that if folks can't buy locally, then he doesn't want to help them out after they've bought online. I told him that I could respect that, but if he wasn't so damn high on his tire prices, he'd get alot more local business. That kinda pissed him off, lol, but I told him he pissed me off when he quoted me $225 for a tire that I can get from the other indy shop for $150. The other indy shop that sold me the tire for $150 was only about $10 higher than what I could find on the web, I'll spend the extra $10 and keep my business at home. I like to save $$ as much as the next guy and will definitely search the web and locally to find the best buy, but unless it's a significant savings, the one good local indy shop gets my business.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Seadog1967 Send a message via Yahoo to Seadog1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsVn900 View Post
That kinda pissed him off, lol, but I told him he pissed me off when he quoted me $225 for a tire that I can get from the other indy shop for $150.
Again this is why you see more people buying off the net. Not just e-bay but dealers on the net. Ya the local dealer has a brick and mortar expense that the online dealers don't. I'm willing to spend more going to a local shop. I don't have an issue with that. Yet I refuse to be raped by them also. Not all shop owners are making a killing but I do know a few that really live the good life.

2007 900 LT Classic
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 68"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Top Contributor

I go to Roseville Cyce to have mine done (Sacramento area). They don't care if you get it from them or somewhere else, the mounting cost is the same either way and that doesn't include lip service... they just do it!!! The prices they charge if they order them is pretty much retail. I usually save about $20-$25 when I order on line (which I do often). I've been doing eBay for 10+ yrs now and feel a bit uncomfortable getting them there unless it's a reputable dealer to begin with. My loyalty to a supplier is mostly based on price and delivery time. I bought my last Metzler (front) for about $95 at the Cycle Gear Super Store here in town with a discount coupon they sent me in the mail and paid $54 to get it mounted at R.C. which is within the local rate for mounting. I have about 3500 miles on it now and it still looks brand new.

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

Last edited by Rollingbones; 01-31-2010 at 12:18 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Rolling that is a pretty good price on a Metzeler. Yeah the last tires I got mounted on my vn750 I had the dealer mech mount. I brought the rims in off the bike. And when they asked if I had bought the tires from them, I told him, "yeah I have bought tires from you." Now I left out that I didn't buy those tires from them, but I have bought tires from them in the past.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Top Contributor

You can find them cheaper online but yes you're right, most places will charge more for mounting if you don't buy from them. Plus if something goes wrong with the tire you have to deal with returning (shipping) and in my opinion the savings are not worth it.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode