Intake? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Intake?

Which intake and why?? Please!

I am looking at adding the aftermarket intake in the near future. I do not want anything that sticks out too far. I am looking for the performance increase, and change of looks. I expect to spend between 200 and 300 hundred, looking at the catalogs. I have only de-screened my pipes, nothing further. I would like to add the FI unit sometime later. If I win the lottery, pipes will follow.

I will probably go chrome, the black may be too much black with my pipes.

Thanks for your ideas.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Top Contributor

Since you asked for something that does not sticks out too far then you are limited to just a few options.

I personaly like the BAK and own one. Very happy with the results in performance. In my opinion the BAK is one of the few that covers all the ugly spots others don't so it looks very nice and clean without expousing hoses, wires and stuff. The clearance is actually less than your stock airbox so if you like what you have then you'll probably like this better.

By changing the air flow I believe a fuel management is required for best results. It might be a better idea to start with the pipes, then fuel management and then the intake (most people start this way).

Oh and forgot to mention this, with most aftermarket intakes you're engine noise coming from the intake will increase too. Reason I mention this is because some users upgraded and didn't like it and went back to stock.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

Last edited by V Twin; 01-27-2010 at 12:00 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 AM

Clearance

If you want at least as much clearance as the OEM air cleaner, then the Hypercharger, and similar are not an option.

I have the BAK unit and would highly recommend it as to quality, performance and design. The BAK actually protrudes less than the OEM air cleaner so you should have no issue with clearance.

As Classtom said, the do have intake noise unlike the OEM, but I think that will be true of any after market air cleaner.

For what it's worth, I did the air intake and a fuel processor at the same time, with stock exhaust. Probably not the normal sequence, but it has worked out fine.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota

Last edited by Shiloh; 01-27-2010 at 09:10 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 AM
BOTM Winner, January 2014

It should be noted, you're not going to see big performance increases from doing these mods...don't be disappointed when you see the dyno.

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| VROC Number: 30028
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:28 AM

dont wanna burst your bubble but ive spent hundreds of dollars and LOTS of hours trying to get more performance from my "9" and found after all that i didnt gain much. in fact the perfomance changes with the weather believe it or not. i sold most of the add ons and went back to stock. the best thing you can do in my opinion is put a fuel processor on and call it good. P.S only speaking from experience here in ny.

LIFE IS GOOD! TILL IT SNOWS!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 PM

I would have to agree with the above. Most of the local dealers I have been to around this area all tell me the same thing. Don't spend the money on intake and fuel management. The performance gains are not worth the money spent. This is coming from dealers who make money on selling me parts...lol. I would get the exhaust first and stop there.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If changing the intake and exhaust on the bike really does not add any performance, why then would I just change the pipes and then stop? Would a FI controller not make more sense, leaving exhaust and intake stock?

I have already changed out the stock pipes to a set of Black ones from an SE. I like the black, and did not want to spend the $600+ on a pair of after market. I also modified the stock intake, and noticed a little enhanced performance.

I will probably go with the BAK at this point because of the looks, everything else being the same. I loved the bike stock, but at some point you change things for looks and others for utility.

My dealer looked at my bike for trade in value about six months ago. With a couple thousand in parts for upgrades, he said that the bike was only worth about 4k. He told me that it was too customized, it may not be to any one else's liking. I said Thank You, it is my bike and I did not make any of the changes for anyone else to like.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Top Contributor

I agree
The average amount spent on pipes, intake and fuel management is about $1000 for only 10-15 peak horse power incease. I was able to notice the difference in increased power and torque but I don't think it's worth $1000.

Now most people like me do these upgrades not for the extra little power but for the looks.

Gitty Up & Go!

Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classtom View Post
I agree
The average amount spent on pipes, intake and fuel management is about $1000 for only 10-15 peak horse power incease. I was able to notice the difference in increased power and torque but I don't think it's worth $1000.

Now most people like me do these upgrades not for the extra little power but for the looks.
I would just settle for a more attractive air cleaner cover, any takers??

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
I would just settle for a more attractive air cleaner cover, any takers??
You can add one of those harley air box covers and they look very good too. I'm sure if you do a search you can find several members that have use them.

Gitty Up & Go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode