900 later or 1500 now? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

900 later or 1500 now?

About a month ago I bought my first street bike. I payed cash for a 2003 Suzuki Savage and have been able to ride it three times before the roads got bad. My plan was to buy an inexpensive smaller bike to learn on and later sell it and get a vulcan 900. I didn't want to start with the 900 because I didn't want to scratch it up if I put it down while learning. I am really attracted to the 900 because it seems to be a good in town and twisty road bike and still be able to run down the freeway.

Now my dilemma. While perusing a local dealer I came across a very clean 2002 Vulcan 1500FI with cobra pipes, bags, windshield, sissy bar with luggage rack plus a few other goodies. It has 17000 miles and looks like it has really been taken care of. It was traded in for a new touring bike. With a new rear tire I can get it out the door for $4400. It seems like a really good deal. It would be a great freeway bike for my occasional trips to SoCal. But I'm not convinced I would like something that big for local riding. If I do get the 1500 I would like to keep the savage for at least a year to continue to learn on. I then could sell it to finish paying off the 1500. Should I jump on the 1500 or should I pass and look for a good deal on something next season? Do you think I would be happy with the 1500 for local riding? What do ya' think? 1500 now or 900 (or something else) later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Top Contributor

What I've learned from experience is that you'll never be happy unless you buy what you want/desire.

The suggested retail price for the 1500 is $4885 so is not really a great of a deal. You can probably find this same bike in the streets for about $3k with accessories as well. Plus keep in mind this is a eight yr old bike and if it breaks you will have repair cost over your monthly payments.
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail...ssic-fi/232068

If you really want the 900 you can find it for around $4k on the streets as well. I wouldn't recomend buying a new 900. The vn900 classic and lt have been arround for four years and the custom for three. I never buy a new vehicle unless is a new model for that year. This helps for resale value if you decide to trade or sell.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
First, you did good getting the Savage to learn on. It will give you the general feel of a cruiser without the weight and the 650cc is a nice engine. I rode several years on a 650.

I'd agree with Classtom, get the bike you really want, or you'll never be completely happy with what you have. The hardest part for you is just figuring out what you really want.

As far as the 1500 being too big for local riding, once you become familiar with it, it'll be just fine around town. Size becomes almost irrelevant once you're truly comfortable with your bike.

One note: I'm more than happy with my 900 and feel it's the perfect all-around cruiser. Very nimble around town and quite competent on the open road. I love it.

Now you have to do the hard part. : )

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Top Contributor

I also agree with the above....I can't comment on price because we are a lot different....But buy what u want.......I am sure u will be able 2 handle either bike with a little practice and confidence......I have not had a 1500 but i have owned a 900, v2k, and currently a Nomad.....I always tell people if possible take the bike 4 a test ride....I always do this and then u kinda get a feel and helps u decide if the bike feels good 4 u......Not all people are suited 4 all bikes.....Good luck and ride safe......Terry

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode