Winter Day ride - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Winter Day ride

Well on sat the 16th. We got above 32, like a whopping 34. We had a few days during the week that were about that warm, but I had to work. But I thought about skipping just to go riding. But being the semi responisible guy I didn't, so I waited for the weekend.

So I took her out, I didn't have my carhartt's, cuz a guy a work needed my work van to do some emergency work and I forgot to get them outta the truck. So I just put on some UnderArmour and my leather jacket and went for it. Filled her and went. Wasn't too bad, hands got a little cold. But otherwise that shield and my homemade desert dawgs did the job. The roads were nice and dry. Something about the loud pipes and the cold sound so sweeet. Don't know if it is absence of hearing them or what. I only went about 20 miles cuz my gloves weren't the best. Plus I got a little shook up.

About half into the ride I came over a hill and around a corner and came to a patch of road, that apparently the farmers mustve been crossing from field to field. Cuz there was about a 50 foot stretch of 2-3 inches of snow. Now doing 60 through the snow aint cool. I could feel her shimming the whole way through. I didn't hit the brakes, I just slowly rolled off the throttle, and gritted my teeth. After that patch about a quarter mile later I came across another patch. This one I could see far enough in advance to slow down to about 10 and just went through nice and steady. After that I made a bee line to the main co highway, and went home.

So a good winter ride all in all. plus I can feel better about not winterizing. I figure if I can at least get her out once a month I am okay. Normally I go for at least 30 miles. I mean that is more then some people I know do in the summer on their bikes.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Top Contributor

Wow, I can't even imagine my self crossing thru a patch of ice/snow. Sounds too scary on two wheels. If below 50 I usually take my car. But I don't like wearing gloves or anything too unconfortable to ride with and my windshield is very small too.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 AM

Garage
Oh dude... that must have had a pucker factor of about 9.5 (and that's one reason I'm content to keep it parked during the low season)! But glad to hear you were able to get out and enjoy it some. Looking forward to seeing you on the roads when we can put all this ice and slushy stuff behind us once and for all. C'mon spring!

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
It's not only the snow and ice but it's all the salt on the roads for me. Mine are stored till spring.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 PM

here in central n.y there is enough crap on the road that the road crews could scrape it up and use it again next year! the cold doesnt usually bother me but seeing my bike start to rust would absolutely do me in! id have no one to blame but myself. so kudos to you for takin a ride for the rest of us thumbs up!

LIFE IS GOOD! TILL IT SNOWS!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM

I went out the other day but it wasn't 34. More like 50. I still put on the electric vest and 'bout burnt up in town. Still, that vest is the best 110 bucks I've spent in a long time. You should get one.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
The body stays warm. Its the hands that were the problem. Part of my getting the bike out is so I don't have to winterize it. I just want to keep them fluids fresh. Don't need to go far. 20-30 miles at least, Once a month.

Total pucker moment

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 PM

Garage
Biker who can't wait for spring

These cellphone pics were snapped by a friend of mine -- who rides a Beemer so doesn't hang out on this forum at all -- on his way to work this morning on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul Minnesota.
(Locals here will probably recognize the State Fairgrounds.)

This guy must be seriously hard core.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1144   Click image for larger version

Name:	image004.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1145  

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM

I live on Long Island (NY) and had to take a ride a Sunday or 2 ago. No snow at all, but I almost dropped it making a right and accellerated right on top of a nice pile of sand and salt I didn't see. Big pucker factor PLUS... I think people who normally have a hard time seeing a bike in the summer simply flat out are blind to us when there's no logical reason to be out on a motorcycle. Very scary ride to the supermarket. Didn't have fun at all.
COME ON SPRING!!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mark Honey

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
i was impressed til i saw that it is a sidecar. three wheels. im on my phone was that a beemer or a ural? if its a ural bet hes got two wheel drive.

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350